Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Forum Suggestions & Help

: Let the forums die for good or create OWF 2?
Let it die and carry on. 3 42.86%
Let's make the new OWF when the time comes. 4 57.14%
: 7.

11-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)
Arrow What next?

As many people noticed, the oddworldforums.net domain is no longer accessible to the public, unless you use DNS shit. But the forums are still up and accessible with the owforums.net domain.
However, there's still one problem.

:
>Checking system...
>. . .
>Zulag One operational
>. . .
>Zulag Two operational
>. . .
>Zulag Three operational
>. . .
>Zulag Four operational
>Checking battery...
>. . .
>Warning: there is not enough power to support the forums any longer.
>Predestination of expiration date in progress...
>. . .
>Predestination complete.
>Expiration date of the forums: 2021.02.09.
>Please select the fate of the forums:

Imagine getting this screen of code, like you're at the final stage of Resident Evil 3 (I think the quote is obvious, right?). We know that the site will expire on February 9, 2021, and since it's not easy to talk about it in the discord server let's try here (even though, I don't know if any of the people who aren't even on Discord are still here lurking):
When the day of expiration comes, what should we do next?
Let the forums die forever and stick with discord servers and subreddits whenever we want to talk about Oddworld and with the friends we made on the path?
Or try to create new forums and bring on the legacy of OWF?

Even if Oddworld isn't really in a same shape of other game franchises, especially after the release of New n Tasty and many other things, most of the veteran and new fans have been hanging on the release of Soulstorm. Some decided to forget the franchise after the EGS decision, some say that Soulstorm will be no different from the disaster that NnT has been, others hope that Soulstorm might be the last chance of Oddworld.
And some people tend to exaggerate and say that Soulstorm will be the title that will bring so much success that it will even resurrect Fangus but that's less likely.

Either way, we have to consider one thing. Something that I tried to bring up in the discord server:
If Soulstorm is actually a success when it comes out, and opens a new path to the Franchise, could something like the forums be alive again and begin a new age for it?
Now we know that oddworld forums will eventually fade away if no one pays for it or upgrades the site, but we could still make another new forums. Basically Oddworld Forums 2.

We discussed about this many times here, but the date of expiration was still far. Now it's not.
So it's time to talk about this. For real. And without any trolling or irony, if possible.

Last edited by Phoetux; 11-18-2020 at 02:23 PM..
11-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Goodguyplayer
Chippunk

: Jan 2017
: earth
: 34
Goodguyplayer  (32)

I'm curious to see the decision of the people.
I was never one to enjoy the forum format, so it doesn't really affect me. But I understand that the original forums had a lot of history and found memories, not to mention interesting resources and information. *Cough* and memes.

Therefore, I'd suggest to find a way to bring on the legacy of OWF to a new forum, even if it's just to preserve it.

11-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

I've been here quite a long time. Oddworld Forums holds a special place in my memory.

Let it go.

Let me explain my reasoning. Forums are, fundamentally, not the hub of internet discourse and discussion anymore. Reddit is. We haven't had any big influxes of new members in who knows how long. Don't give me a "well, our VBulletin is outdated, so nobody wants to use this ancient site" there isn't so great a difference between this website and a brand new forum. All we have been, for years now, is a niche. A forum, which is a no longer hip and exciting medium of discussion, for a game series that we all think peaked nearly 20 years ago.

And now, that this is finally going away and most of us here have a replacement in the form of Discord, you want to go and make a new one? I can't say I agree.

Any new members are going to be in one of two groups.

The first is returning members. These guys might join a new forum, supposing they can find it. But I find it hard to believe that Oddworld will bring back any of our old forum goers. More likely, they'll stay away, having finally found meanings in life outside of Oddworld. If they weren't back when SoulStorm was announced, leaked, trailers made, or even just when New n' Tasty was revealed, what makes the game's launch so much different?

The second group is totally new members. But this is just not going to happen. Forums, as I said, are no longer the de facto means of communication on the internet. Reddit has taken over the "longform" discussion. A forum is not going to reel in the membership it might have in the past where, by virtue of being the one place to talk about Oddworld, it might draw someone in. Nowadays, there is a slew of choices and any new forum is not going to appear at the number one slot on Google search. If anything, I'd be surprised if it appears at all, rather than a dozen links on Reddit asking if "OWF is kill".

The only use for a forum now is to give us, the remaining community a new place to talk at length about topics and try to speak seriously. I don't especially care about that, because I find Discord tends to be better suited for it anyway, instant messaging allowing much less confusion of points because you can stop the other person before they get sidetracked overmuch by a point you weren't even making.

All in all, I don't have any particular desire for a forum and I don't think it's practical or well-advised to make one.

That said, if you make one, I suppose I'll join, if only for appearances sake.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

11-19-2020, 04:41 AM
Stitchlips25
Bolamite

: Jul 2018
: Wherever I want
: 67
Stitchlips25  (93)

I wouldn't be opposed to the Idea but it's already kinda covered by the discord/Subreddit no?

I feel like forums like aren't as needed/useful as they once were.

But I like the idea if only for the novelty

11-29-2020, 11:46 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

I think Oddey is right, OWF should be put out to pasture, it's had its run.

Tbh I was thinking of buying the domain once it expires and linking it to a single web page which lists all our members. It might be a nice tombstone to one of the internet's oldest communities.

11-30-2020, 04:47 AM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

: Aug 2016
: corowa
: 101
SlashClaw  (108)SlashClaw  (108)

if you are going to go down a discord rout please make sure there is a way for people to find the link because i didn't even know there WAS a discord