Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

07-10-2018, 11:31 PM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)
Oddworld: Chronicles - A Series of Fan-Fictions

"Those who wish to know about our old world
should search the chronicles of the elder souls,
whom are forever furled
in the ancient stones."

Hi and welcome to the thread of Oddworld: Chronicles! A series of a fan-fictions regarding ancient tales of the universe of this great game. This is a project I've been thinking about for several days on which I idealized different stories regarding the past of Oddworld, fan-made of course. Since big ideas like this one keep bugging me when they get bigger I've finally decided to make all this true. Let's start with a quick Q&A:

Q: What exactly is this?
A: Oddworld Chronicles, as I said before, is a series of fan-fictions about ancient tales that talks about the past of Oddworld. It will focus on stories that might tell the genesis of the entire world, the connection of the mudokons to the not-much-known spirit world and way much more. Each chapter will be a different chronicle, all about the past of Oddworld.

Q: Why did you start this?
A: Making up fan-stories about a game or else is something I did a lot when I was a kid (let's all admit this, we all did). Recently now I've been trying to exercise on writing for a while, like years. All because I had good ideas for good stories that keep going around my mind, and I need to write them down! I've discovered fan-fictions again in the last months and I've decided to start writing them to exercise my writing and my english. So feedback is always welcome Oddworld has also been a great source of inspiration for me. It's a great series with a dark and shamanic feeling that collidies with the oppression of technology, which also looks like an actual theme of our times. This is a feeling I didn't always found around in games. And yet Oddworld didn't reveal much about its ancient past which could be something very huge and interesting, and some of it was already seen in concepts arts. So I wanted to try focusing on it by making fan-fictions.

Q: How long is it?
A: Not sure but it should be preeetty long, or at least that's what I hope for it to be As mentioned, I'd talk about the genesis of Oddworld to the actual days of the series. I could write lots of stories about its past, I'll see when I should stop and when I found out more earlier than excepted I might let you know.

Q: Can we already read it?
A: Not yet, but I've been working on the first chapter for a week now and it should be ready in some days.

Q: So are the Mudokons the main protagonists?
A: Nope, the entire world of Oddworld will be. However the stories will be narated by the Almighty Raisin to a young mud fellow called Niok, who wonders about the past of his world. That's all I can tell ya

Are you guys excited about this? I hope you are as just I am to announce this I easily write and throw away ideas, but this one tried to stay in my mind for good.
So here it is, Oddworld: Chronicles - A Series of Fan-Fictions.
Chapter 1 coming soon

Last edited by Phoetux; 07-10-2018 at 11:36 PM..
07-11-2018, 07:44 AM
CravenKnight
Fuzzle

: Apr 2017
: Dresden
: 112
CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)

cool! i look forward to the first instalment! it's great to see fiction in FC again.

btw nice introduction and great job with the header.
07-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

In Mudos rules peace and tranquility. The Mudokons wisely meditate in the wilderness surrounded by the quiet of the forests.
Among them there is a small mudokon apprentice shaman who tries to increase his spiritual powers. He feels his spiritual connection with his odd planet: he perceives the scrabs running through the Scrabania desert, the furious sligs who guard the factories of the threatening Magog, even the spirits flying in the afterlife. But the young mudokon felt that this wasn't enough to become a powerful shaman, he felt he had to unite his spirit with something else, something that should be of vital importance.
He constantly tormented this thought, he always looked at his hands with curiosity asking himself "You, Niok, who are you really?". These words tormented his mind without stop. He perceived the varied present of Oddworld, but he realized that he had never really perceived its past. Without it how could he perceive the future?
One day, therefore, Niok, during one of his spiritual meditations, stopped suddenly, reflecting on these tormenting thoughts for a long time. He had to know the past of his species, of his world, of his universe. Without the knowledge of it, he couldn't do anything else to become what he inspired most.

Niok went to the Almighty Raisin cave, only he could enlighten him on what he was looking for. He has lived for many centuries, as every elder tree he must has seen and heard everything that the young mudokon was looking for.
"Ah, young Niok. Approach, approach"- said the Raisin, who was not at all surprised by the arrival of the apprentice shaman.
"Raisin, I have questions for you that could help me in my spiritual journey," - said Niok, approaching and then stopping in front of the Raisin - "questions of fundamental importance for me".
"Are they questions to make you become what you must become or what you want most to be?"
"What do you mean?" - Niok asked intrigued.
"My young Mudokon, I already know what you want to ask me: who are we? How were we born in this world? Or better yet ... - "
"How was this world born?"
The Raisin laughed a little, he knew perfectly that he would ask that fateful question.
"We all ask ourselves these questions, young Niok. But find their concrete answers? Ahh, this is what we found hardly. But there is a saying that reveals how to find them, young apprentice:
"Those who wish to know about our old world
should search the chronicles of the elder souls,
whom are forever furled
in the ancient stones. "
Niok was even more curious but also more confused at the same time. His surprised face and squeezed eyes proved that feeling.
"Ancient stones? Those found in the abandoned lands? "
"Yes, but in even more distant lands. Lands that haven't only been left to their hermitage, but also forgotten. In fact, they are lands that haven't been found anymore; the known islands of the genesis. "
"But they do not exist at all!"
"Nobody is sure, young Mudokon. The farther a memory is, the harder it is to understand if it was something true."
"So ... if the existence of these islands is not certain then how I can find my answers?"
"Fortunately for you, I know some stories that come from these stones. Sit down my dear Niok, listen and feel what I am about to tell you about our world. They're about the miracle of life, morality of choices, responsibility for our gifts and fear of death. In fact, I'm concerned that perhaps you're not ready yet to hear everything I'm about to tell you."
"Raisin, you should already know the answer."
The Almighty Raisin laughed more.
"Yes dear Niok, I know."
And so the elder tree began to tell the stories of their world. They were stories of life, strungle and death. Of the devastation of blind peace and of the creativity of free transition. They were stories of life, other lives told to give meaning to another's life. And that's why Niok listened, with unswerving attention.

This is the prologue of Oddworld: Chronicles. I thought this was unnecessary but I wanted to spend some minutes on it anyway to give you guys something before the first chapter is ready. It might not be the best, I admit that, but I hope to write better

07-27-2018, 11:43 PM
CravenKnight
Fuzzle

: Apr 2017
: Dresden
: 112
CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)CravenKnight  (200)

nice man, i enjoyed reading that. i'm interested in what direction this will go in.