Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

08-06-2014, 12:33 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

: Jul 2014
: United States
: 341
HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)
HOMINIX' Art Stuff

Hey, guys. Got my new tablet in the mail last night, so I figured I'd start this thread in anticipation of a ton of Oddworld related drawings.

I'll start off with a concept drawing of Squeek:

Any feedback, positive or negative, is welcome! I'll hopefully be updating this pretty frequently.
08-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Oooh he's perfect for a game hero. Sad, decapitated dog head on a cheap robot body with tnt on his back. Adorable. I identify with him already
08-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Pirfsich
Sniper Wasp

: Aug 2013
: Germany
: 293
Pirfsich  (266)Pirfsich  (266)Pirfsich  (266)

Wait... there aren't any official designs of him relased, right?

It looks pretty scary, to be honest. But great concept!
08-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

: Dec 2013
: Among the unmade music
: 1,086
Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)

I like the overall idea, however I think that the dog head makes it too this-worldly.

Xorlidyr: The tidal waves clean our sins.

My Steam: spiderqueen ;Oddio is the best pun

08-06-2014, 03:02 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

:
Oooh he's perfect for a game hero. Sad, decapitated dog head on a cheap robot body with tnt on his back. Adorable. I identify with him already
Thankyou!

:
Wait... there aren't any official designs of him relased, right?

It looks pretty scary, to be honest. But great concept!
I appreciate it! I don't think there are officially any published concepts of him, but there was some discussion in this thread about if a certain concept art, in fact, depicted him. I did want to make him look a bit grim; my design is based off interviews of Lorne Lanning about the story's setting, which was pretty grim. Apparently, Squeek got nearly his entire body repossessed and replaced with a cybernetic, shoddy life support system with a high failure rate.

:
I like the overall idea, however I think that the dog head makes it too this-worldly.
Y'know I thought about that possibility and was considering tweaking the shape of his head, and maybe adding some features like filed down antlers or horns or something.

Indigenous Slig incoming:

08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

He's waaay too mammalian for Oddworld methinks, but interesting concept. The feet are cool but the double-jointed legs are kinda... furry. Neck's a bit over-long for the body, too.

But that's all the negatives out the way; I like how it harks towards the outright evils of some animal testing. The cobbled-together simplicity of the body is a nice touch, makes it feel neglected, overlooked - the kind of throwaway-cruelty that breeds Oddworldian heroes.

08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

:
He's waaay too mammalian for Oddworld methinks, but interesting concept. The feet are cool but the double-jointed legs are kinda... furry. Neck's a bit over-long for the body, too.

But that's all the negatives out the way; I like how it harks towards the outright evils of some animal testing. The cobbled-together simplicity of the body is a nice touch, makes it feel neglected, overlooked - the kind of throwaway-cruelty that breeds Oddworldian heroes.
Thanks! I don't really agree that anything can be too mammalian for Oddworld, though. I think OWI would be doing themselves a disservice by ruling out mammals. I do however think his head looks a bit too close to an actual Earth dog. So I will toy around with different facial features etc in future sketches.

Also, the double jointed legs were based directly off other Magog machines like Slig pants and Snoozer joints. The body was meant to look modular, as if you start off with the head and artificial spinal cord, and snap on these cheap/salvaged body modules.
08-07-2014, 01:07 AM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

: Mar 2009
: :noiƚɒɔo⅃
: 9,743
MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

:
Indigenous Slig incoming:

Sligs don't have compund eyes, and, being descended from slugs, have soft mouthparts unsuited to a diet of raw muscle. They also supposedly live in swamps, or at least they did the last time anyone bothered to check.

To me, the tail and feelers imply a semiaquatic forager, somewhere between a newt and a hagfish, but you seem to be gravitating towards an ostrich, which is certainly a new one on me.

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 08-07-2014 at 01:10 AM..
08-07-2014, 09:49 AM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

:
Sligs don't have compound eyes, and, being descended from slugs, have soft mouthparts unsuited to a diet of raw muscle. They also supposedly live in swamps, or at least they did the last time anyone bothered to check.
I don't know, man. I'd heard the bit about living in bogs, but I don't think there's any evidence toward what kind of eyes they have. Also, I'm fairly positive there's never been any comments on them being descendant from Slurgs (let alone slugs) and it's not really fair to claim with any certainty the details about its mouth, or digestive system, given that if they did evolve from Slurgs, they've evolved enough to develop a skeleton, which is an extremely significant physiological difference.

Last edited by HOMINIX; 08-07-2014 at 11:39 AM..
08-07-2014, 12:50 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

:
I'd heard the bit about living in bogs, but I don't think there's any evidence toward what kind of eyes they have.
Art book page 212 shows and describes Sligs' beady, lidded eyes.

:
Also, I'm fairly positive there's never been any comments on them being descendant from Slurgs (let alone slugs)
Pages 64-65 describe Sligs' origins, and what they're named after.

I never mentioned Slurgs, I don't know why you'd asssume I meant that.

:
and it's not really fair to claim with any certainty the details about its mouth, or digestive system,
Page 212 also mentions their flimsy mouthparts, and their mollusc-like feelers would imply a similar internal setup.

:
given that if they did evolve from Slurgs,
I'm pretty sure they didn't.

:
they've evolved enough to develop a skeleton.
[citation needed]

I think they probably do have one, but you seem pretty concerned about assuming more than we're told.

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 08-07-2014 at 12:54 PM..
08-07-2014, 01:11 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

The only reason I used "slurg" is because to our knowledge slugs don't exist in Oddworld. The closest things are slurgs. Sligs described as ancestors of slug-like creatures, not descendants. There's also a big difference between what inspires their name and what they're truly descendant from. Their name come from Pig and Slug, so by your logic, they could easily be equally related to pigs.

:
I think they probably do have one, but you seem pretty concerned about assuming more than we're told.
I think we're both assuming more than we're told.
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2008
: Middle of a desert
: 1,669
Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume they evolved to have skeletons, considering there's obvious evidence they at least have joints. Now how the skeleton is structured is a different story and I don't think any assumptions there could be justified.

08-07-2014, 01:43 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

:
The only reason I used "slurg" is because to our knowledge slugs don't exist in Oddworld.
Slurgs are a kind of slug.

Oddworld has birds, bees and bats - these are general terms, not species, just like on Earth, and they apply equally well here. Glukkons and Sligs are molluscoids. Mudokons are avians.

Besides, when you talk about evolution, you want to stay away from contempary species. We did not evolve from chimps, we evolved from the apes that also evolved into chimps.

:
Sligs [are] described as ancestors of slug-like creatures, not descendants.
I read it as "descendants from both swamps and the ancestors of slug-like creatures" i.e. they share a common ancestor i.e. slugs. Either way, though, it's still an evolutionary connection.

:
Their name come from Pig and Slug, so by your logic, they could easily be equally related to pigs.
They sure could! They have an internal skeleton, according to you, and were it not for 1995's CG limitations, they would've been covered in bristly, boar-like fur.

It's ultimately up to you which you'd rather pick, though I've never seen a compound-eyed pig that eats flesh before.

:
I think we're both assuming more than we're told.
I've got the citations to back me up, though. Aren't citations great?

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 08-07-2014 at 04:04 PM..
08-07-2014, 02:31 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

I mean, what are we really talking about here, Meech? Are you arguing just to argue? If I draw a Fuzzle with spot on accuracy, will you get on my case about its nonsensical anatomy? How do they hop? How does the little guy's body possibly house all of the necessary organs, and how do they work? How do Sligs defecate? You get my point? You could just as easily scrutinize a lot of the official designs too. Besides, concept arts aren't really the best source of proof. I mean, on page 40, there's a picture of Abe with nipples. Abe. A Mudokon. Born from an egg. Nipples.

I'll be the first to say that my drawings don't come close to matching the quality and detail of those by Olds, Brown, Swanland or Farzad, but even some of their concepts didn't really make sense. Cool down, this is fan art.
08-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)Slog Bait  (2520)

Pretty sure the entire "argument" was just MM pointing out that your concept differs from what's assumed to be the canonical design of the Slig. He likely would have done the same regardless of the creature you drew if part of it's design was inaccurate according to what we currently know. Then, when you said you hadn't seen proof of any of the things he pointed out, he provided proof.

It's a form of critique. If you didn't intend to make it inaccurate to what's been established, then someone pointing out the inaccuracies might help you if you ever go to draw something similar in the future, avoiding the same mistakes. Or heck, someone pointing out that the original concept varies from what you had in mind, you might be able to blend them or use them to create something even more interesting or solid than what you initially thought of. If you're uninterested in critiques, just say so and most reasonable people will just be like "o ok" and move on.

The entire point of concept art is to establish what's being made. There will be older and rejected versions of each concept, like muds having nipples. A lot of the time when nipples are added to humanoid alien figures, it's purely to make the creature more relatable. Obviously it's much easier to relate to something that looks familiar than it is to relate with something so alien there's no resemblance to anything we've ever seen before. Obviously they decided nipples were not the way to go here.

Also nipples on something born from an egg could make biological sense. A belly button on the other hand..............

08-07-2014, 03:11 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

The only thing that differs from the canonical design of sligs is the fact that my drawing places him somewhere other than a swamp. The eyes differ in ONE concept art for big bro sligs that didn't even get represented in the final game. The only comment on the Slig's mouths is in the same concept, saying only that they have a "weak chin and mouth". You can't reasonably prove what their diets are based on that.

Also, nipples and navels are exclusive to the mammalia class.
08-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Slog Bait
Outlaw Sniper

Yeah, exclusive to mammals on Earth.

I wouldn't put it past something to evolve with nipples while being born from eggs. Developing breast tissue to nurse offspring because for whatever reason that species can't support itself as well once hatched, but they never developed the same nursing habits avians on our planet did. Only reason I said it could make biological sense.

Though, I think if something hatched from eggs that produced milk it would end up more like the ever wonderful platypi rather than popping out with nips.

And yeah, you can usually assume somethings diet based on how it's digestive system evolved. The mouth is included in the digestive system. There's nothing saying they can't possibly process meat, but they would have a very difficult time eating it raw in the wild on land with a mouth set up like that, so it likely wouldn't be their top dietary choice.

E- I'm gonna leave this discussion be because it's cluttering your art thread.

Last edited by Slog Bait; 08-07-2014 at 03:36 PM..
08-07-2014, 03:51 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

I'm feeling some bad vibes here, gang.

I genuinely have no interest in marching into people's art threads just to try and put them down. In fact, I've made a point of not mentioning the art itself for precisely that reason. I mean, come on, don't you think I have better things to do?

All that happened was I saw that HOMINIX, self-proclaimed Oddworld martyr and passionate, borderline creepy lore fanatic, had started an art thread. I popped in, and saw he'd drawn a Slig that contradicted official sources. "Oh dear," I thought, "that doesn't seem like something he'd do on purpose. I'd better give him a bit of info."

Imaginary HOMINIX: "What are your sources for this?"
Me: "The art book."
Imaginary HOMINIX: "OK, thanks, I'll bear this in mind in future."

I did not bargain on you trying to refute objective assessments like it was some personal assault on your interests... I suppose that was a bit naïve of me, considering that's exactly what happened last time.

I like wacky interpretations of designs. I think Sligs evolved to snuffle around in muck in lake beds, pulling bugs into their rasping, barbed sucker of a mouth - that's why their eyes are so tiny and useless, why they excel in an environment that provides them with a limitless supply of puréed meat by-products, and why they need vocalising masks to communicate with other species ("S'mo BS" is clearly a synthesised noise).

But that's just me, and I've got no problem with other people having their own ideas. If you want to draw a flock of ostrich-sligs, palms slamming into the hardened dirt as they sprint across the sun-baked savannah on the scent of warm flesh, more power to you. I'll look at it, and laugh, and only in a "that's endearingly bizarre" way.

All I wanted to do was give you some official information pertaining to your design. I thought you'd find that useful and/or interesting. Apparently I was wrong.

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 08-07-2014 at 03:59 PM..
08-07-2014, 04:42 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

:
I did not bargain on you trying to refute objective assessments
The disparity there is that you claimed some vaguely referenced things as official fact, "Sligs don't have compound eyes, sligs don't eat raw meat" when they are only briefly mentioned in an unused design that was drawn by someone who didn't create the original design of the character in question. Those are far from objective truths, especially when some details about the Oddworld universe given by Lorne Lanning himself have changed from interview to interview.

:
I suppose that was a bit naïve of me, considering that's exactly what happened last time.
This does remind me of last time for some reason...

:
I saw that HOMINIX, self-proclaimed Oddworld martyr and passionate, borderline creepy lore fanatic
Oh, that's why. This is exactly what happened last time. We were having an argument, and you got riled up to the point of stooping to name-calling. You can do better, I still believe in you.

:
I think Sligs evolved to snuffle around in muck in lake beds, pulling bugs into their rasping, barbed sucker of a mouth - that's why their eyes are so tiny and useless, why they excel in an environment that provides them with a limitless supply of puréed meat by-products, and why they need vocalising masks to communicate with other species ("S'mo BS" is clearly a synthesised noise).
That's a much more effective point, based on logic, and things from the finished products of the games. The argument would've been over by now if you'd have given me your reasoning beside the fact that it appears in a quasi-canonical instance. In fact, If I do draw another wild slig, I'll most likely put him in a swamp, or by a body of water. This is why I still believe in you Meech. I know you can make effective points without getting so mad.
08-07-2014, 05:10 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

It's funny because that post was clearly written with the intent to patronise and aggravate.

First off, drop the whole "u mad, bro" angle. It's pathetic. You're supposed to be an adult, man.

Now, if I wanted to insult you, and there are plenty of reasons why I should, I'd call you something offensive but baseless, like a cunt, or a loser, or a snivelling little shit, or a smelly-farty-pants.

However, if I complain that you're being overly entitled, or elitist, or obsessive, or patronising, or fickle, or passive-agressive, or that you have a persecution complex, that's not an insult. That's me making a complaint about a problem you have, in a blunt enough manner that you can't mistake it for casual smack-talk. The idea is that you look in the mirror, think about what you must have done to cause someone to make that assessment, and at least put half an arse into avoiding that pitfall in future.

If no-one points out your faults, you'll never improve. If you never accept your faults, you'll never improve. I've pointed them out as thoroughly as I can. The only person holding you back is you.

And you know what, Homie? I believe in you. Go for it, champ.

Sadly, you tend to take the easy route, and dismiss it as infantile name-calling so you don't have to confront the fact that maybe, once in a while, you might be wrong, and that people won't always respond to that with polite ignorance.

As for the Sligs, I was assuming that, like me, you held official designs to be more "definitive" than fan speculation. If you like my idea, that's cool and all, but I'd never respond to someone's art by saying "my idea was better, you should have used my idea". That's something a jerk would do!

Oddly, you seem to consider it more helpful than citing official sources... which isn't actually that surprising, now I think about it.

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 08-07-2014 at 05:25 PM..
08-07-2014, 05:19 PM
ChaChaDesmond
Zappfly

: Aug 2014
: SICILY, THE MIDDLE'A ITALY
: 1
ChaChaDesmond  (11)

:
All that happened was I saw that HOMINIX, self-proclaimed Oddworld martyr and passionate, borderline creepy lore fanatic, had started an art thread. I popped in, and saw he'd drawn a Slig that contradicted official sources.
I have zero desire to talk about any of this but the art, but... Didn't this start because a drawing of a slig didn't fit your preconceived notions of what sligs eat, where they live, etc? The only thing that seems objective is the compound eye thing, which I agree with you.
08-07-2014, 05:40 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

Actually, I looked it up on TOL, and I was wrong. Sligs do have compound eyes, but in a centralised beady dot. Everyone gets to be wrong!

As for the rest, I already gave my sources. They're there, written and drawn by the hands of OWI staff. My personal notions have nothing to do with it. I don't even have a problem with people moving away from the official designs; all this was just supposed to be a quick, 2-post FYI for someone who said they loved OWI's work.

08-07-2014, 07:34 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

Another sketch of Squeek, colored and uncolored:

08-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Pirfsich
Sniper Wasp

: Aug 2013
: Germany
: 293
Pirfsich  (266)Pirfsich  (266)Pirfsich  (266)

I actually really like the design!

08-08-2014, 01:12 PM
AvengingGibbons
Sewer Sleg

: Apr 2010
: England
: 737
AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)AvengingGibbons  (452)

I personally imagine Squeek to not seem so able-bodied. The robo-suit you've designed him with gives him human-like movement (presumably). I think the vykers would probably give him some wheels to roll about on, ya know, something disabling, and makes him/her vulnerable. The same for its arms: maybe it doesnt even have arms. Maybe it has a useless 'grabber' instead of arms, just one of them.
08-08-2014, 01:45 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

That's a good point. Maybe throughout the game you could find some working parts to upgrade your abilities in a canon friendly way, installed by some back-alley mechanic who tries to help the body-less vagrants. Maybe he'll fix you up just so you're in their pocket, and you're indebted to him/her.
08-09-2014, 11:48 AM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

Industrial and Tribal Glukkons

Last edited by HOMINIX; 08-09-2014 at 11:52 AM..
08-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

I like the tribal-paint on the glukkon, nice idea. And the idea of getting upgrades installed by a back-alley grifter - nice twist on the old-as-the-hills game mechanic.

08-09-2014, 04:40 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

Thanks, Splat! Here's a WIP of a 2D level layout

And the updated version:

Last edited by HOMINIX; 08-10-2014 at 08:39 PM..
08-17-2014, 08:24 PM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2005
: Sydney, Australia
: 642
kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

Just putting in my two cents. I love your artwork, really cool stuff. Ever thought of producing a collection of fan-prints for sale? You've definitely got the talent.