Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

07-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)
Battlefield 2 - Heaven or Disaster?

Everyone who likes First Persone Shooters overall can't help but like a game like Battlefield 2. The graphics are great (if you have a system that can actualy handle it without blowing up) and the gameplay is great. But, it's published by EA. And I say with right that in the history of screw ups, messed up games, patches and idiotic actions pulled by Electronic Arts, Battlefield 2 is their absolute high point.
To start off with, as with any EA game, if your unlucky you have CD/DVD drive that can't handle the security system EA build in the discs, as a result having you can't use the disc at all except for the installation of the game. Luckily this is fixable by using a little detour, but that doesn't make it justified.

Merely days after the initial release, which worked fine btw except for maybe a messy server browser, they released a patch. Patch 1.01!
For some it wouldn't even install, for others it crashed their computer during the instalation. And those who did manage to get it 'running' could kiss their game goodbye as it screwed up about any aspect of the game. At one point it was even impossible to log in and it would just kick you back to your desktop every time you hit the log in button.
Needless to say, this pissed some folks off... and they didn't lift a... oh wait, wrong game ^^.
Anyhoo, the list went on. Crashes, lock ups, even entire deleted hard drives (I doubt that had anything to do with the game though, EA isn't that retarded). After a full three days of wrestling with the patch and everyone by now had figured that the patch was no good and thus got rid of it, EA made the stunning announcement that the patch had some small (SMALL?!!) flaws and that it would be better to reinstall the game without the patch.
Well sure, why not? Everything was fine again for a while and now they released a hotfix for patch 1.01, namely 1.02! And I must say, it is actualy working... Well, it's working when you turn off your firewall. So, EA wants me to open the door to hackers just so I can play their game? I am willing to do that for one game, but they must not make a habbit out of it.

So, all an all it's a great game. Great gameplay, messed up publisher. I will end my rant about EA now and will continue working on my MH7865 fuel bomb which I will drop on EA Headquarters somewhere soon.

C ya later!

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

07-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

Its an excellent game if you exempt the retarded patches that EA makes.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

07-17-2005, 01:11 AM
Coolmanbizkit
Spark Stunk

: Jan 2005
: England
: 399
Coolmanbizkit  (10)

:
Everyone who likes First Persone Shooters overall can't help but like a game like Battlefield 2. The graphics are great (if you have a system that can actualy handle it without blowing up) and the gameplay is great. But, it's published by EA. And I say with right that in the history of screw ups, messed up games, patches and idiotic actions pulled by Electronic Arts, Battlefield 2 is their absolute high point.
To start off with, as with any EA game, if your unlucky you have CD/DVD drive that can't handle the security system EA build in the discs, as a result having you can't use the disc at all except for the installation of the game. Luckily this is fixable by using a little detour, but that doesn't make it justified.

Merely days after the initial release, which worked fine btw except for maybe a messy server browser, they released a patch. Patch 1.01!
For some it wouldn't even install, for others it crashed their computer during the instalation. And those who did manage to get it 'running' could kiss their game goodbye as it screwed up about any aspect of the game. At one point it was even impossible to log in and it would just kick you back to your desktop every time you hit the log in button.
Needless to say, this pissed some folks off... and they didn't lift a... oh wait, wrong game ^^.
Anyhoo, the list went on. Crashes, lock ups, even entire deleted hard drives (I doubt that had anything to do with the game though, EA isn't that retarded). After a full three days of wrestling with the patch and everyone by now had figured that the patch was no good and thus got rid of it, EA made the stunning announcement that the patch had some small (SMALL?!!) flaws and that it would be better to reinstall the game without the patch.
Well sure, why not? Everything was fine again for a while and now they released a hotfix for patch 1.01, namely 1.02! And I must say, it is actualy working... Well, it's working when you turn off your firewall. So, EA wants me to open the door to hackers just so I can play their game? I am willing to do that for one game, but they must not make a habbit out of it.

So, all an all it's a great game. Great gameplay, messed up publisher. I will end my rant about EA now and will continue working on my MH7865 fuel bomb which I will drop on EA Headquarters somewhere soon.

C ya later!
Ive never played this game, It looks pretty good. But EA have messed up a few good games latley.

07-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

I never really got into the Battlefield series... I haven't ever liked WWII/WWI/Vietnam/ANY WAR shooters. They seem so pointless and war promoting.

Shut up about Wolfenstein. The first one ruled. Ruled. RULEZOR!

07-17-2005, 08:55 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

I've had trouble with EA before.

Anyway, all I know is that I've been playing the Xbox Live demo and loving the hell out of it. I don't usually go for the squad-based shooters (Rainbow Six 3 was an exception because of the online), but this one has really caught my interest. It's probably the closest I'll get to the middle east without being drafted.

Definitely picking it up when its released on the Xbox and Xbox360.
07-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

Half of it is based in China.

Awesome game; I love it.
It's worked a dream for me.

07-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Leto
Not Leto

Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

Is there something I have missed here? I don't see the appeal of any WWII shooters. WW shooters. They all seem the same.

Then again, you could say the same about sports games...

(No offense intended, mindless Cattle-field followers. )

07-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

Cattle-field... now there is a potentially fantastic arena for games to take place in...

Imagine a game about cows... wow... I'll write up a concept tomorrow sometime I think.
07-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Leto
Not Leto

The main weapons being your patented cow vault?

07-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

:
Is there something I have missed here? I don't see the appeal of any WWII shooters. WW shooters. They all seem the same.

Then again, you could say the same about sports games...

(No offense intended, mindless Cattle-field followers. )
Lucky it isn't a WW shooter, then.

07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Well, could be. The war that's being faught in Battlefield 2 is not far off from what could happen in a few years if things keep going the way they are and more importantly: If Bush keeps messing things up.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

07-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Software Bug
Formerly Tim Cottenham

: Jun 2004
: Groningen, Netherlands
: 1,068
Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)

I played BF2 Once and the only thing i can say is :
Iit just looks like all other shooters out there...
I just cant understand why you should go for a specific game.
Maby if its a Game Of The Year or something then you say ok i will try it out.
But just go once in the shop , half of the game shops are filled with all shooters that look the same...

Throw around some Mudokons in my game Flying Mudokons!

Need images for your Oddworld fan project? Visit The Oddworld Vector Gallery!

07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Leto
Not Leto

:
Lucky it isn't a WW shooter, then.
Damnit, man, you get my drift. GAME WHICH PLACES YOU IN A STATE OF HUMAN WAR. ALien war is fine. BUt humans are just boring. In a game I want to experience something very different to what real life offers. I dont want to play football or fight in a war. I want to find the magical ring a Paethagos and kill Azura once and for all.

And why are these WAR games even made? To glorify death and conquering?

BAH

Last edited by Leto; 07-18-2005 at 11:26 PM..
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

:
Damnit, man, you get my drift. GAME WHICH PLACES YOU IN A STATE OF HUMAN WAR. ALien war is fine. BUt humans are just boring. In a game I want to experience something very different to what real life offers. I dont want to play football or fight in a war. I want to find the magical ring a Paethagos and kill Azura once and for all.

And why are these WAR games even made? To glorify death and conquering?

BAH
Humanity's most fertile ground for storytelling has always been war. There is no stronger display of raw, human behavior. It's become a guilty pleasure to satisfy this display of violence without actually endangering yourself.

Although I agree that the WWII and Vietnam genre are completely dead, merely by saturation alone, there is still plenty of room for improvement in modern war scenarios. New weapons, vehicles, game types, and tactics will add to the innovation and engaging gameplay for quite a while.

For example, I was playing the B2 Xbox Live demo earlier today...

Imagine, if you will, your muslim comrades looking out over the grassy knoll your encampment rests upon. Below you, you see a ruined city, complete with bridges, smoldering ruins, dirt streets, and a mosque. It is your task to control this city and ward off the American infidels. You and two of your fellow soldiers pile into a chopper, one manning the Vulcan cannon, one riding in sniping position from the cargo bay, and yourself in the cockpit, and after the storm of dust clears from your rising behemoth, you swoop downward toward a abandoned mosque. Unfortunately, the infidels have beat you to it. Your chopper takes heavy fire, and you are forced to bail out. You scream repeatedly for your comrades to follow suit, but it is too late. The chopper, spurting black smoke into the air, takes a dive to the left, plummeting into a nearby river and effectively killing your teammates in the process. Meanwhile, you've engaged your parachute and bring out your AK-47 just in time to snipe off an American on the roof, obviously unaware of your presence, while still in midair. You land perfectly, hunker down on the roof, and lay in wait while you slowly gain control of this strategically crucial point. A hapless infidel storms out on the roof, only to be greeted warmly by shrapnel from your grenade launcher. His partner, not far behind, will not give you time to reload. You jump down into prone position and somehow, by the grace of Allah, manage to score a perfect head shot, sending the dead American's lifeless body over the roof's wall. You've single-handedly survived a chopper crash and staved off three infidels, all while managing to secure a base for reinforcements. Praise Allah.

True story. Well... true video game story. XD