Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

02-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Lord Vhazen
Thudslug

: Jan 2017
: Hell
: 160
Lord Vhazen  (225)Lord Vhazen  (225)Lord Vhazen  (225)
Odd Piece of the Week - The Delicate and Docile Meep

MEEAUUHH :U

So I've been thinking.... Why are the Meep clearly a source of cotton in the world of Oddworld, when we actually never see the Mudokon's make use of it? All they seem to use is leather.

Last edited by Lord Vhazen; 02-05-2017 at 10:45 AM..
02-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Michael
Bola Blast

: May 2010
: Birmingham, England
: 409
Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

:
Why are the Meep clearly a source of cotton
I think that's plants haha, sheep/meep would be wool!

Maybe it'd be too warm? All the areas of Mudos we've seen have been in or near desert regions. If I remember right, Oddysee was originally planned to feature a snowy mountainous level, it would be interesting to see how Mudokons native to that region (assuming they'd have been there at all) would've dressed differently. No doubt they'd wear more than just a loincloth!

Were there ever any concepts released of that level I wonder?
02-05-2017, 11:37 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2005
: Sydney, Australia
: 642
kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

:
If I remember right, Oddysee was originally planned to feature a snowy mountainous level, it would be interesting to see how Mudokons native to that region (assuming they'd have been there at all) would've dressed differently. No doubt they'd wear more than just a loincloth!
It was a tropical beach area, actually. It's where the Meeches would have been.
02-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

Some things said by Alf in dear alf about meeps-
(Oddworld.com)

"Some tribal crafts that the natives are known for are Meep crochet and Meep leather goods..."

"Meeps are silly little livestock that we use for food and goods."

(Oddworld library.net)
Q: I 'd like to know what Mudokon clothes are made of. I 've seen meeps so you obviously have wool. But you don't seem to be wearing any wool clothing so what other fabrics are your clothes made of? Kleeng

Alf: I don't know if meeps give "wool", though they may contribute to the textile production process ... at the fertilizer level. Various plants are used to create our light, comfortable and stylish loincloths. They are handcrafted by Mudokons who don't have to spend all of their time answering questions about interplanetary fashion!

Last edited by Gunnr; 02-05-2017 at 12:00 PM..
02-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Lord Vhazen
Thudslug

:
I think that's plants haha, sheep/meep would be wool!
Forgive my dyslexia, I meant wool....

02-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

There are several Mudokon constructions in Paramonia, Scrabania and throughout MO (e.g. windmills) that feature large canopies and sheets of some kind of material.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

02-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Lord Vhazen
Thudslug

:
There are several Mudokon constructions in Paramonia, Scrabania and throughout MO (e.g. windmills) that feature large canopies and sheets of some kind of material.
I always though they were made out of leather. I suppose they could be Meep skin, but does this mean that most of Oddworld hasn't realized the potential that lies in their woolly coat? That'd be really ironic if so, because even the Glukkons don't seem to care much about it. In MO, the Gluk that's there to harvest and exploit them was doing so for their meat. Meep Chunks or whatever he was calling them. You'd think somewhere, an industrialist would realize the potential for the mass marketing of wool.

But then again, they have all historically been rather stupid. I mean just look at what's canon in the story already - The Glukkons saw the potential for a meat market for Scrabs, Paramites and Meeches, and sought to make a business out of their meat. But then they over-hunted them to the point that one of them went extinct, while the others came pretty close. Meanwhile, we see little evidence of the Glukkons trying to set up a permanent means of farming or keeping the livestock in good numbers. Those pens back at rupture farms seemed to mostly be just a temporary place for them to be before the slaughter, rather than some kind of breeding program.

The Gabbiar of MO is another example of that - Even as a kid I always wondered why no one was smart enough to buy out the can so they could incubate the eggs and raise a new, contained population of what was apparently a very valuable animal for future generations. See that's how you make the big money, folks. Don't kill em all, kill a lot of em, but keep em breedin so you can keep killin em! Ya dumb shits!

02-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

It seems that those canopies are usually pretty large, so I think it’s unlikely they would be leather.

Even then, Glukkons must be getting materials for their suits from somewhere. Clakkerz and Outlaws are also seen to be wearing cloth materials of some sort; so someone must have figured it out.

02-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

It was JayDee's turn, this week:
:
I'd be down to do one for The Schism next week if I can include some batshit theory. Or even just some massive lore theory piece.
http://www.oddworldforums.net/showth...902#post628902
02-05-2017, 05:39 PM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

: Aug 2008
: AAAAAA
: 1,119
JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

:
I'm gonna be starting something different in Oddworld Discussion seperate from Odd Piece Of The Week

02-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Lord Vhazen
Thudslug

:
I'm gonna be starting something different in Oddworld Discussion seperate from Odd Piece Of The Week
Shit I forgot that hump day thing, I figured odd piece of the week would start with Sunday. Also I didn't know we were supposed to take turns.

02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Don’t worry too much about it, but we should probably define some etiquette at some point.

JayDee, I’d still like to see your piece on the Schism at some point!

02-06-2017, 08:53 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

: Bath, Somerset, UK
: 70
TheManFromMudos  (191)TheManFromMudos  (191)

:
Don’t worry too much about it, but we should probably define some etiquette at some point.
Perhaps some kind of nomination system, like the person doing this week's piece can appoint somebody to do next week's. Just a thought.

Anyway, on the subject of Meep, wasn't the Glukkon in Meep Herder Village using them for meat? In which case, why hasn't Rupture Farms jumped onto the Meep bandwagon yet?

02-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

:
In which case, why hasn't Rupture Farms jumped onto the Meep bandwagon yet?
Well, we "only" saw RuptureFarms 1029 in AO/NnT.
02-06-2017, 11:02 AM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

:
Well, we "only" saw RuptureFarms 1029 in AO/NnT.
I understand the Meep not appearing in Abe's Odysee, but there could have been some subtle reference in New 'n' Tasty, like a poster for 'Meep Muffins' or something of the sort.

02-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Lord Vhazen
Thudslug

:
Perhaps some kind of nomination system, like the person doing this week's piece can appoint somebody to do next week's. Just a thought.

Anyway, on the subject of Meep, wasn't the Glukkon in Meep Herder Village using them for meat? In which case, why hasn't Rupture Farms jumped onto the Meep bandwagon yet?
This makes sense so we don't get spammed with multiple Odd Pieces of the Week being written and posted at the same time, but what if the person nominated isn't paying attention to that thread or doesn't log in for like a couple of weeks? The person nominated should also be able to in turn appoint his own replacement if he/she can't think of anything or just doesn't want to be the next one.

Also I'm sure Rupture Farms would have gotten into the Meep Market at some point, but I'm pretty sure that after Abe's Oddysee they company's gone bankrupt. I mean we saw some gluks try to start mini rupture farms plants and soulstorm microbreweries in MO, but I don't know how canon those were. They felt more like excuses to use something that players were familiar with without bothering to make an original name and logo.

One way or another though, the mini rupture farms that was gonna be opened up as the first Glukkon in MO was actually going to exploit those Meep. They were makin' Meep Chunks or whatever.

02-06-2017, 12:21 PM
TheManFromMudos
Bolamite

:
This makes sense so we don't get spammed with multiple Odd Pieces of the Week being written and posted at the same time, but what if the person nominated isn't paying attention to that thread or doesn't log in for like a couple of weeks? The person nominated should also be able to in turn appoint his own replacement if he/she can't think of anything or just doesn't want to be the next one.

Also I'm sure Rupture Farms would have gotten into the Meep Market at some point, but I'm pretty sure that after Abe's Oddysee they company's gone bankrupt. I mean we saw some gluks try to start mini rupture farms plants and soulstorm microbreweries in MO, but I don't know how canon those were. They felt more like excuses to use something that players were familiar with without bothering to make an original name and logo.
Yeah, I'm sure we can come up with something that works. Regarding the Soulstorm Micro Brewery and whole 'Meep Chunks' fiasco, I think you might be right in saying they were simply trying to reference the previous games.

02-08-2017, 07:33 PM
UnderTheSun
Stingbee

: Nov 2015
: Texas
: 79
UnderTheSun  (203)UnderTheSun  (203)UnderTheSun  (203)

:
It was a tropical beach area, actually. It's where the Meeches would have been.
Going off topic here: I thought Meeches lived on the open plains around Rupture Farms (hence them resembling raptors)?

According to the Oddworld Encyclopedia:

:
The environmental conditions required by Meeches were much more fragile than those of most creatures; subsequently, Meeches were endemic to the immediate area around where RuptureFarms 1029 was built—​thought to be open fields and plains, possibly savannah, —​where they hunted Elums in huge packs. Their confined distribution ensured that the habitat loss and hunting of Meeches lead to such a rapid decline in their population and inevitable extinction. This extinction has not been officially admitted by RuptureFarms.

:
Some things said by Alf in dear alf about meeps-
(Oddworld.com)

"Some tribal crafts that the natives are known for are Meep crochet and Meep leather goods..."

"Meeps are silly little livestock that we use for food and goods."

(Oddworld library.net)
Q: I 'd like to know what Mudokon clothes are made of. I 've seen meeps so you obviously have wool. But you don't seem to be wearing any wool clothing so what other fabrics are your clothes made of? Kleeng

Alf: I don't know if meeps give "wool", though they may contribute to the textile production process ... at the fertilizer level. Various plants are used to create our light, comfortable and stylish loincloths. They are handcrafted by Mudokons who don't have to spend all of their time answering questions about interplanetary fashion!
Here's another Meep-related quote from Alf:

:
It’s nice to look at one way or another, so pop another sustainably-harvested log on the fire and snuggle up in your brand new Meep sweater: I’m going to celebrate the Holiday season with a traditional Alf-style question-answering.

Anyway, since Slogs seem to be a domesticated form of Slegs, maybe there's a Meep-like creature out there that looks like a mouflon? "Shouflon?"
02-18-2017, 05:21 AM
MrsKJJ
Bolamite

: DisneyLand
: 72
MrsKJJ  (203)MrsKJJ  (203)MrsKJJ  (203)

That is the most adorable little Meep I've ever seen. Look at him chew!!

:
I always wondered why no one was smart enough to buy out the can so they could incubate the eggs and raise a new, contained population of what was apparently a very valuable animal for future generations. See that's how you make the big money, folks. Don't kill em all, kill a lot of em, but keep em breedin so you can keep killin em! Ya dumb shits!
LOL! That made me really laugh. I agree and remember saying the exact same thing playing Munch, when the auction was announced. Does it remind you of that Futurama episode at all?

:

One way or another though, the mini rupture farms that was gonna be opened up as the first Glukkon in MO was actually going to exploit those Meep. They were makin' Meep Chunks or whatever.
I always thought that the Meeps were more of a rural type of animal, whereas the Meeches, Scrabs and Paramites were all native to a Jungle/Bush type of area, which is why the Rupture Farms, that we all know and love, was set up where it was. There's nothing to say Meeps aren't in full production for a variety of different products already, but RuptureFarms #1029, being stationed on the outskirts of nowhere close to bushland was given the primary focus of animals in its area.

There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of RuptureFarms all over Oddworld. They could be dabbling in a range of different animals we could never wrap our heads around. All we've had a chance to look at is the "Don Frankfurts" of the meat and the "Mountain Dew" of the Drinks (SoulStorm Brewery). Wait till we get to confectionary!! This Oddworld shopping cart isn't even remotely full.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Last edited by MrsKJJ; 02-18-2017 at 01:05 PM..
02-18-2017, 10:43 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

:
Going off topic here: I thought Meeches lived on the open plains around Rupture Farms?
I think that's the canon explanation, but OWI recently revealed Abe's original scar, which resembled Desert, Forrest and Ocean. Evidentially, their plans changed, though I must agree, Meeches don't seem very tropical to me.
02-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
I think that's the canon explanation, but OWI recently revealed Abe's original scar, which resembled Desert, Forrest and Ocean. Evidentially, their plans changed, though I must agree, Meeches don't seem very tropical to me.
I don't recall seeing that one. Can you please post a link to it?

02-20-2017, 01:47 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

:
I don't recall seeing that one. Can you please post a link to it?
Sure!

EDIT: Apparently "recently" was almost a year ago. How's that for relativity?
02-20-2017, 02:39 AM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

: Aug 2008
: AAAAAA
: 1,119
JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

Kjj beat me to the source on that one but that symbol was originally called the Shadow Lock, and I believe it comes from around the same time in AO's production as when Rupturefarms was as much a temple as a factory.

02-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2016
: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

:
Kjj beat me to the source on that one but that symbol was originally called the Shadow Lock, and I believe it comes from around the same time in AO's production as when Rupturefarms was as much a temple as a factory.

Do you think you think if meechs were still around that it would have greatly impacted the meep population? Would meeps even reside in a tropical area? Just some passing thoughts.
Meeps sure are cute aren't they?

Last edited by Gunnr; 02-20-2017 at 06:56 PM..