04-16-2001, 08:36 AM
Crazy Vykker
Boombat

: Apr 2001
: Vigo, Spain
: 235
Crazy Vykker  (10)
A STRANGE IMAGE

Something of you had seen the imagen of “elum teletransport” who appear in the personal photos?.
I never seen it in my life. Is it of Abe´s Oddysee ?.

04-16-2001, 08:49 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

It seems to be an early idea the OWI guys had, of how to trap Elum (just to make Abe's life harder), but it was replaced for the honey-bees idea, I guess.

In one of the rock art paintings of Scrabania, you still can see a representation of that teletransporter, though.
04-16-2001, 08:59 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

Wow I've never seen that before, or as I would normally say, That rocks! I think that would've been way better than the bees idea but I guess that it wouldn't have made as interesting puzzles (ie - bees chasing you, stinging other muds). That pic looks as though Abe is trying to push Elum out of the teleporter, are there any bigger pictures of this image? From where was it obtained?

Here is a small pic for others:
04-16-2001, 09:24 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Exactly the same thing I thought when I first saw it... I wondered where it was from and no one could tell me!!!

I found these images a some time back when doing a search on Oddworld. They were on some obscure gaming site called PSG or something like that.

Here are the two that I have

This one is of poorer quality

A while back I picked up the Abe's Oddysee demo from eBay (as in the CD version released for promotional purposes) ... and although you don't play Scrabania in the demo, it does have the exact same picture on the back cover.

I get the feeling that this may have even been in an early movie that the gaming press saw (just like at Gamestock or last year when there was a demo to selected press).

I thought it would make a very unique personal photo as it's not a common image!

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-16-2001, 09:52 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

i hope that thing comes out in the later games

04-16-2001, 10:39 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

Cool, so it didn't make the final cut? Perhaps Munch's Oddysee and/or future games will have stuff like that. For instance, maybe MO will not include Munch's Wheel chair.
OK that's a bit extreme, but there could be some stuff which would get cut for specific reasons.
04-16-2001, 03:53 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

im glad they scrapped the teleporter the game was hard enough without it.

04-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I thought those Elum Traps finally blew Elum up, and Mudokon slaves were sent out to collect the bits. And extra stuff like sand a dust was advertised as 'added somethings or others' or something. That's what osmeone at the old boards said, anyway.

04-16-2001, 05:47 PM
Elum
Spark Stunk

: USA
: 373
Elum  (12)

May the Expert on Elum please speak.

Here is all that I know. Back in the days of the making of Abes Oddysee...there was a thing called an Elum Trap. When Elum walked under it, the thing turned on, and trapped him, for later meat processing. Then Abe would disarm the trap. Then, after a lot of discussion...they decided to just have some honey would be a lot easier. Elum would find the honey, and Abe would have to get him away. Mainly, they just wanted something to slow down abes travel through Scrabania. What I would like to know, were the Elum traps in Paramonia too?

Also...someone posted about this in the old forums. Do you know the first Movie in Abes Oddysee...and it shows those big bones, where the mudokons are pulling the levers making them go? Do they look like Elum rib cages or what?!

Here is the pic that I have :

My opinion...I am glad they didn't make the poor Elums into food products..but I dont see why they wouldn't have. I bet they do in some of the later games. But if they did, I bet more Elum stuff would come out, which would be really awesome. And..I like the idea of Elum loving honey more than I like the idea of him getting trapped!

04-16-2001, 05:50 PM
iliodd
Thudslug

: Toronto
: 156
iliodd  (11)

Well, Dear Alf said that they made food out of Elums so since those ribcages don't look like scrabs' or paramites', they were probably Elums'.

But there was no poster for Elum Chips...