06-13-2002, 06:59 AM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2000
: upside down in a toilet bowl
: 1,552
One, Two, Middlesboogie  (10)
Arrow Some strange beasties.

A few people (especially SRFRers) will have already seen these, but I'd like to post them here too.

They're hosted on Brinkster,so you'll have to copy and paste the urls into your address bar.

Dune Cat.
This beastie lives in the desert, is carnivorous, diurnal/crepuscular and is a sprinter. They live on their own or in pairs, or occasionally in little packs of half a dozen of so. They have sandy-brown coats, and the males have one nose horn, while the females have two. The females are also slightly bigger.
I know its head doesn't look very catty (it looks rather like a giraffe with bat's ears), but I didn't think of the name 'Dune Cat' until well after I'd drawn and scanned it. If I draw one again, I'll make its nose shorter, like a Siamese cat's, and I'll give it catty ears.

Feathery Dinosaur
This is basically a modification of a drawing I did a while back of a creature called Aor. The head is the same, but I decided to chane the body to a bipedal dinosaur's. Not only does it look better, but it is less complex and fantasy-like, and a lot easier to draw repeatedly.

Piranha-Poodle
These are mentioned in Escape From Monkey Island, but we never actually see one. The tentacly stuff is seaweed; poodles have fluffy fur round their joints, so fish-dogs would of course have seaweed.

Lizards
Two sunbathing skinks.

Skateboarding Chicken
Bok bok ark! It's Tony Squawk!

Young Flut Flut
This is Jak's Flut Flut from his and Daxter's self-titled game.

In the Jak & Daxter instruction manual, Flut Fluts are described as "rare, awe-inspiring predators. Adults have been spotted with wingspans of up to fifteen metres. They are carnivorous, and will feed on almost any warm blooded creature, but they tend to prefer those over one metre tall. For some unknown reason they tend to avoid humans unless angered or starving. Fully grown Flut Fluts are forces to be reckoned with, but the infant birds hae a friendlier nature and there are many stories of them playing happily with children. However, these stories do not usually end happily. They tend to conclude with the arrival of an angry Flut Flut parent, some gratuitous violence and a very big mess. It is also said that some Flut Fluts have been tamed and ridden as easily as you would ride a common Yacow."

In the game, Jak rescues a baby Flut Flut, and the village birdwatcher kits it out in riding gear for him, and he gets to ride it in certain points of the game. This is the picture of it in the instruction manual.

Adult Flut Flut
And here's what I think the adult Fluts look like; we only see a baby one in the game.

There are some more in the Gallery of my site if you'd like to see more.

Main page

Last edited by One, Two, Middlesboogie; 06-13-2002 at 03:44 AM..
06-13-2002, 01:09 PM
brewmaster
Fuzzle

: Jun 2002
: SoulStorm Brewery in England
: 149
brewmaster  (10)
Happy NICE

THEY ARE QUITE GOOD

GOOD FOR YOU I COULDN'T DO IT

06-14-2002, 05:43 AM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

Here's a more cat-like version of the Dune Cat (it's quite big; might take a while for all of it to appear). A colour version is in the works.
I think I've fallen in love with these Dune Cats. They're so gorgeous and they're all MINE!

06-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

Your drawings are good. I think you're getting better with proportions.

A tip that I was told my my illustration lecturer is to emphasize edge over line. I'm still struggling with the concept, but it basically means rather than having a hard outline that symbolizes an edge of an object, you can just work with slabs of tone laid out in such a way that they pinpoint an edge without the use of a line. You can use backgrounds to acheive this, too.

06-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Black Dragon
Riot Slug

: May 2001
: USA
: 574
Black Dragon  (10)

Your interesting creature concepts never fail to amaze me, Anna. The dune cat is indeed very intereting. I also like the dinosaur-bird thing. Very creative.
I like your drawing style, but I will give you a few tips: 1.) Study different objects in different lights before attmepting this, but try some experimenting with lighting and shadow. You'll be surprised by how life-like you works become! Here comes Em, the limb-proportion-monster! 2.) Watch your proportions a bit, ie. the legs. The tendancy (with everyone, including me with my muscley-limbed creatures) is to make limbs very small and thin. You have to take into consideration the type of foot and the weight of the creature. For example, a lion is built for power and short bursts of intense speed, so their limbs are very muscular and their paws large to be able to accomplish this with their weight. Take your dune cat for example, if they do live in hot areas where it's sandy and such, the legs should be thin, and the feet small for speed which basically you have down. Ok?I'll be quiet now. Other than that, I'm loving it! Keep up your excellent work.

06-17-2002, 06:37 AM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

Thank you for the coments and tips, Syd and Em. I'm usually too chicken to add shading to my pics in case I mess them up! I'll see if I can find some good pics with shading to use as bases until I'm more confident.

Here are three more piccies. As before, you need to copy and paste the urls into the address bar. Tom did give me some code to enable me to directly display Brinkster pics on places like this board, but I don't think I'll use it, as many of my pics are quite big and would cause serious slowdown. Some would cause side-scrolling as well, which is just about the most irritating thing you can find in a board post.

Dune Cat... in colour! Wheee!
They're even lovelier in colour! I really am proud of this piccy. It took around an hour to colour in with coloured pencils and oil pastels. It's nearly 200kb in size, so it'll take at least a minute for all of it to appear. Good things come to those who wait.

Stripy Lizard
This is a colour version of the stripy lizard I posted in this topic's first post. I redrew it completely instead of just colouring the old one, because I wanted it to look more realistic; the old one looked too cartoony.
I experimented with Syd's 'edge over line' technique; normally I'd have outlined all the coloured areas, but I didn't this time, and I like how it came out. I am a little disappointed with how the scanner ate some of the colours; its back legs and the stripe running the length of its back are a subtle blue-green in the hard copy, but in this pic they're a lurid sky-blue.

I need a name for this lizard; I was thinking along the lines of [Something] Agama. I'm open to suggestions.

Sirod
This is a new creature I've invented. It lives in trees and eats nectar and the insects that are attracted to flowers. It is sometimes called the Bee Rat. It can glide like an Idiurus (a gliding mouse that Gerald Durrel describes in detail in his book The Bafut Beagles) and it has a chameleon-like tougue.
This pic isn't my best work; it's just a scientific sketch to convey what it looks like; not a flattering-it pic.

And Em, reckon it's time for another Art Exchange?

Last edited by One, Two, Middlesboogie; 06-16-2002 at 10:39 PM..
06-24-2002, 07:08 AM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

I decided to call the stripy lizards Rommelards, if anyone's interested.

Here's another picture of a Dune Cat, this time coloured entirely in GIMP.
I traced the outline of an existing picture by hand and scanned it in, then coloured it in on the computer. It took me around an hour and fifteen minutes; the same amount of time it would have taken me with oil pastels by hand.

What I like about GIMP is that I can use it in the same way as I use my oil pastels; I use a thick paintbrush to whack down slabs of colour, then I use the Smudge tool to blend it with the surrounding colours and the background colour. If I want to blend it still further, I use the Blur tool to haze the outlines even more.
When I use oil pastels; I do much the same thing; I scribble a layer of oily wax down, then rub it in with a finger until it's smoothly blended in.

When I'm oil pastelling, I also often shade in large areas with coloured pencils so as to save wax; proper oil pastels are expensive. With GIMP, I use the fill tool first to colour in all the areas, then add the blendy and airbrushy effects.

06-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Nice pic Anna, here's a tip for computer coloring.
Instead of inking before hand, ink using the coloring program itself. I believe GIMP has the same pen tool as Photoshop does, so use that to mark out your outline then use the 'stroke' command. You end up with a nice crisp line for your outline.
Warning: Make sure your forecolor is black (or whatever color you are going to ink with) and that the brush size is the one you want for the line to be based off of. (if your current pencil brush is 1pix, the line will be 1pix thick. If its a 17 round...the line will be a 17pix thick line...)
Computer inking does take a bit to do...exspecially if the pic has a lot of details (note: you don't have to outline 'all' of the details...things like muscle details can be shown through highlights and shading), but it's worth it.

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

06-24-2002, 09:09 AM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

Thanks for the tips. I usually automatically dismiss myself as being crap at drawing outines with a mouse, but in truth I've hardly ever tried it. I'll have to practise it for a bit.
Not sure if GIMP has a stroke command; I'll have to find out. I still haven't fully mastered some of the other functions.

07-01-2002, 08:28 AM
TheBlueScrab
Sewer Sleg

: Jun 2001
: Germany
: 735
TheBlueScrab  (11)
WoOoOow!

Wow, very nice pictures, I like it !
I hope you post more pictures.

TBS
Why don´t you come and play, I guarantee you a great big smile.
I come from the imagination, and I´m here stricly by your invocation..so what´d you say?
Why don´t we dance a while?
Cause' I know what you feel boy.
I know just what you feel boy.
You call me and I come a-runnin.
I turn the music on I bring the fun in.

I can bring whole city`s to ruin, and still have time to get a soft shoe in.

Now, we´re partying, that´s what it´s all about!