Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

: May 2011
: UK
: 436
Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)
A Civil discussion about Religion

First of all, I want to make sure that everyone has read that second word in the title. Please go back and read it again to be sure. This is not here to give anyone with a particular religious belief a soapbox to shout from. That does not interest me. If this thread turns in to a mess of name calling or simple religious bigotry I will ask for it to be locked and will never attempt a thread of a serious nature again.

That said, I ask the mods to give this thread a chance before closing it. A number of forums I've been on would likely lock a thread of this nature straight after the OP, but I'm hoping this community is mature enough (in terms of the relationships between its members) to respect everyone's views, providing they are put forward with a sufficient level of eloquence, and without the self righteous fervour often associated with such a topic.

Now, providing the tenuous assertions made in the above paragraphs prove to be true, I would like to begin this thread in earnest.

I am a fairly staunch atheist, and have been for a number of years. Religion was pretty much left up to me to decide from a young age, though like most children I was informed of the existence of a god, along with everything that goes along with it. Even from a very young age I became aware of the duality of existence; the world I saw around me (which is much like the world I see now, only bigger), and the world I was being told the world was (this involved Santa, god, fairies, angels, ghosts, and monsters). This duality confused me for a while, partly because I was being told the world was like this from the ultimate authority (parents), and partly because I genuinely wanted the world to be like that.

When I hit primary school I started to apply more thinking to the world around me and hit upon a fairly simple hypothesis; if I ignored what people had told me, and went off only what I could see and examine myself, would I ever come to the same conclusion regarding a god that other people were telling me was true? The answer I came to was no. I distinctly remember a vague sensation of trepidation when I let go of those ideas, neatly filling them under the "probably not true" section in my mind.

An interesting thought experiment is to imagine what would happen if a man turned up today, purporting to be the son of some god or another. I would like to believe that he wouldn't end up with a religion by the end of the century, although history clearly shows that to not be true.

My experiences thus far have left me with this view of religion: in all of its iterations, it exists as something that people want to believe. That fervent want seems to have become synonymous with the dubiously labelled "virtue" of faith. People have faith that the universe is how they want it to be because they simply cannot face the idea that it isn't.

I am not setting out to offend anybody, although I would ask that, if you are offended, you explain why what I have said offends you. To be as lucid as possible: I am not asking that in order to mock such sensibilities; I simply want to know why my standpoint of there being no god is inherently offensive to you. I do not find other people's belief in a god offensive, that is until it spills over into areas that it shouldn't.

The universe, the world, all of existence is full of exquisite wonder that every single human would do well to appreciate. I am saddened that such wonder is reduced to being the creation of a sentient being, it somehow feels as though that would rob it of its wonder.

There, that is a small taster (a good one I hope) of what this thread could be if people take the time to consider their responses, rather than let their emotions do the typing.

I ask one more time that we do not allow this thread to decay into spittle and rage.
12-28-2011, 03:27 PM
OANST
Necrum Burial Grounds Moderator
Our worst member ever

: Jun 2003
: Them dark fucking woods
: 12,320
OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

Ha. This guy's funny.

We don't do this, man. Or, let me rephrase. We don't do this purposely. There is hardly a civil discussion about anything here in Off Topic. Especially not religion.

I'M AN ATHEIST.

My bowels hurt.

12-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)Glitch  (974)

Surely it's worth a try. I am genuinely interested in the though processes. I dare say if someone could argue the point well enough in regards to a god, I may be inclined to rethink my view. Although I don't think that could happen, I would certainly like to find out.
12-28-2011, 03:39 PM
OANST
Our worst member ever

OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

Nah. Down deep you're just like me. You know there is no way that anyone is going to make a convincing argument on the side of there being a god, because there is none to be made. It's a matter of faith versus logic, and therefor there is really no discussion to be had. We won't be talking about the same things. It just gives people like you and I the chance to feel really good about ourselves and our ability to put together coherent thoughts. No one, and I mean no one, starts a religion thread because they are genuinely interested in other people's point of view. You may think you are. But you aren't. This will turn into a fight. Feelings will be hurt, and I'll be there laughing the whole time. Not because I was right. I'll be laughing because I loooooooove religion threads. And that's all the reason we need to not have one.

My bowels hurt.

Last edited by OANST; 12-28-2011 at 03:44 PM..
12-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

The reason for not having a religious thread is because you don't believe that I could be genuinely interested in other peoples thought processes, and that I simply want the chance to laugh at others? If that were the case surely I would have been much more abrupt and baiting with my language.

I, as you rightly point out, am a person who bases the majority of my experiences within the realm of logic. However, I am also a creative person, and as such it pays to explore different methods of thinking, and what better way than to explore a prevalent method of thinking that I simply don't understand. I do not say that because I have written it off as "just stupid" I say that because I am at a position of ignorance.

All I ask is that you take a step back and imagine, if only for a couple of pages, that a person could be genuinely interested in the religious frame of mind.
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
OANST
Our worst member ever

That's not the reason to not have the thread. The reason to not have the thread is because it will not be what you're asking for. There has never been a religious discussion on this forum that didn't turn into a fight, and I doubt there ever will be. I also don't believe that your intentions are as altruistic as even you think they are. I know that every time I gave the exact same explanation that you just did for why it was a good reason to have a religious topic it was bullshit, and every other time I read someone else giving the same explanation it was bullshit. We both know that there is nothing to be learned from it. If you're really curious then I would recommend going through The Classics thread and finding a few from there.

My bowels hurt.

12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

: Mar 2011
: Wales, United Kingdom
: 3,084
JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)

All my family are Christian and this was quite forced upon on, I hated going to church, and they controlled what music I listened to, tv shows I watched and video games I played. The TV thing was embarrassing, because I'd have friends talk about how amazing some TV show was and when they asked me if I watched it, well, I wasn't going to say "I'm not allowed to watch it" because then I would look like an ass, so I simply told them no not interested.

Despite how forced it was on me, I found the idea of God and all that to be ridiculous and not be believable, so quite oddly despite Christianity being forced upon me, I've always been Atheist. My family kicked up a fuss when I got into heavy metal and even had my nan whining at me one day over my Slipknot t shirt I was wearing. My aunty though is awesome, she is a Christian, but she keeps it personal to herself and lets me and all her friends get on their with their lives how they want.

Now don't get me wrong, it may sound like I don't like my family, I love my family but I just hate the way they try to force their religious beliefs upon everyone.

When it came to me coming out, my parents and my aunty were fine with it, with everybody else either kicking up a fuss or they pretend it is not happening. My Stepadad took me and my boyfriend (at the time) into the kitchen and got his Bible out and lectured us on Homosexuality and compared us to Paedophile and Murderers to which I told him "They hurt people, we are hurting nobody" My Nan even lectured me telling me it's just a "phase" and that I should never show affection to my boyfriend outside the house, she didn't take it well when I told her that we would hold hands when we went out and didn't believe me when I said that I know other LGB people locally who show their affection in public. One example I brought up was a lesbian couple I know but she argued that girls always hold hands when they are out but I do know that these girls are lesbians in a relationship but my Nan wouldn't believe me. Sadly I had a family member who kept giving me death threats down the phone which frightened me so much that me and my boyfriend (at the time) got in his car and ran away from my house for the night and then got the Police involved when the threats continued after we reluctantly came home.

Only my parents and my Aunty know I'm Atheist because I blurted it out one night when I was very drunk... My parents said that they accept my choice but they hope that I will change...

I can't see it happening myself. Considering I never ever ever believed in Santa...

I think religion is a comfort thing for people, like a reason not to be scared of death.

Last edited by JennyGenesis; 12-28-2011 at 04:11 PM..
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

Would you honestly say that from a very early age you rebelled against the idea of religion? I remember vividly a time when I was very young, perhaps 3-4, with both my sister and I sobbing because we'd both come to the conclusion that we would be going to hell.

I think fear of hell was something I held for quite a long time, even to some degree after I had decided I was an atheist (I appreciate the paradox). When you realised you were gay, was religion of no concern to you by that point at all?
12-28-2011, 04:18 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

I mostly dislike religions, and Im sort of an agnostic I suppose, but I refuse to believe in something that isn't based on more than faith.

But we -have- had many of these threads, and they never went down camly. But hey, there's a first for everything! Maybe.

But I think Oanst is right... You wanna discuss religion to feel better about yourself. I see it as sort of poking at ants. Not that I compare religious people to ants, but this 'experimentation' atheists sometimes do...

I dunno, creating a sandbox religious thread just seems weird. x_x Maybe you could provide some sort of topic on it or something.

Edit: I really tried to be religious when I was a kid though, cos my best friend tried to get me into it. But it seemed really silly to me, and it never caught on.
He was trying to tell me that Id get the kitten I wanted if I just prayed....
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

Last edited by T-nex; 12-28-2011 at 04:21 PM..
12-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

If a topic would help then I would say that it should be Why do you, or do you not believe?

I'm not only interested in religious points of view. I am also interested in atheist point's of view too. Especially those that are different to my own.
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)

:
Would you honestly say that from a very early age you rebelled against the idea of religion? I remember vividly a time when I was very young, perhaps 3-4, with both my sister and I sobbing because we'd both come to the conclusion that we would be going to hell.

I think fear of hell was something I held for quite a long time, even to some degree after I had decided I was an atheist (I appreciate the paradox). When you realised you were gay, was religion of no concern to you by that point at all?
Rebel? Not, rebel, just, never believed what I was told, same with Santa, never ever believed that and knew that it was just people buying me presents and putting them under the tree by themselves. When I released I was gay, Religion was only of concern to me in the sense of how my family cope given their beliefs. I don't mind people being religious, I just hate it when they try to force it upon others.

Religion has never been of concern to me, I was just forced to abide by my families rules on what I could watch, do, play ETC just because, well, they were rules set down by them.

12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

:
Rebel? Not, rebel, just, never believed what I was told, same with Santa, never ever believed that and knew that it was just people buying me presents and putting them under the tree by themselves. When I released I was gay, Religion was only of concern to me in the sense of how my family cope given their beliefs. I don't mind people being religious, I just hate it when they try to force it upon others.

Religion has never been of concern to me, I was just forced to abide by my families rules on what I could watch, do, play ETC just because, well, they were rules set down by them.
So there was never a point in your young life where you took what your family told you at face value? Why do you think that is?
12-28-2011, 04:27 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

What I hate the most is when people call Atheism a religion....

============

12-28-2011, 04:29 PM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

:
What I hate the most is when people call Atheism a religion....
What about "Religious Beliefs"? Is that ok?

:
So there was never a point in your young life where you took what your family told you at face value? Why do you think that is?
Nope. I don't know either.

12-28-2011, 04:32 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

:
What about "Religious Beliefs"? Is that ok?
Im not sure what you mean... Atheism is not a religion of any kind.... Atheism isnt something that fills the hearts of many people. Unless they are atheist activists...

Atheism is just..... someone living their life without the religious aspect x_x

============

12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

I think religious beliefs is ok because it is asking what are your beliefs on the topic of religion, I think Atheism is a religious belief because it's not believing it but it is on the subject of religion.

12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

I think I came to conclusion I'm at with religion by being in the position where I could poke at the idea long enough until it started to unravel in my mind. Having grown up having a large number of arguments with my mother from a young age, I learnt that the only way to get any ground is to argue back. I think that helped me a lot in that respect. It also allowed the idea that "parent's aren't automatically right" to fit in my head also.

I don't think Atheism is a religious belief, it's the lack of a religious belief.
12-28-2011, 04:36 PM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

Until God comes and says hello to me, there is no convincing me.

I don't think that makes me Agnostic either, because I don't think it can ever be proven that God exists and I can't see him saying hello to me.

12-28-2011, 04:37 PM
OANST
Our worst member ever

Oh, fine. Fuck it. I'll participate now.

I wish the word atheism didn't even exist even though I tend to identify myself as such. Do we need a word for not believing in Santa? What about not believing that in the year 2037 Patrick Stewart will rise from the dead, and dance to the tune "Now This is Christmas" by John Lennon? It just seems silly that I need a label for not believing something that is obviously not true.

My bowels hurt.

12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

:
I think religious beliefs is ok because it is asking what are your beliefs on the topic of religion, I think Atheism is a religious belief because it's not believing it but it is on the subject of religion.

Not true... It only revolves around religion because religion makes such a huge part of the world. It forces atheists to be included. In a world without religion, atheism would not have any ties to religion at all. Religion would be non-existant. That's the point of view you have to understand about atheism. For many, atheism is just a standard way of living, and are only classified as atheists because for many, being unreligious doesn't make sense.

Just because someone is an atheist, it doesn't mean they took an action against religion. One doesn't have to have a religious standpoint to be atheist, although many atheists do have religious standpoints. But they don't necessarily go hand in hand.

That's what I think anyway.

============

12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

:
It forces atheists to be included. In a world without religion, atheism would not have any ties to religion at all.
Exactly, so it is on the topic of religion if you see what I mean.

12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
OANST
Our worst member ever

:
But that doesn't make it a religious belief. Mainly because it's not a belief. I don't put faith in atheism.

My bowels hurt.

12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Glitch
Just Add Water
Decidedly indecisive

I think Jenny has quite eloquently explained that Atheist is a religious term because, without religion, there wouldn't be atheism.

Even the word Atheist essentially means no god.
12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
OANST
Our worst member ever

:
I think Jenny has quite eloquently explained that Atheist is a religious term because, without religion, there wouldn't be atheism.

Even the word Atheist essentially means no god.
Really? Where?

Alright. It's a religious term. Not a belief. I'll concede that much.

My bowels hurt.

12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

:
No, because you ignored everything else I said that tied up around it.

Atheism and religion are only related. But atheism isn't a religious belief. It's someone who simply lives, and doesn't include religion in his life.

Now, one can choose to include religion in their life through debate and such. But atheism is a standalone item, and shouldn't even need a name.

Edit: Also Oanst explains it much better than me x_x

============

12-28-2011, 06:27 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

XD

I believe in God,
I'm a baptised Catholic but I rarely go to Church,
Since the last God debate I guess I've grown a little more relaxed about religion in general. Hopefully, no moody shit down this end. I guess we'll see, no promises.

12-28-2011, 09:30 PM
LDG519
Boombat

: Dec 2010
: sydney
: 238
LDG519  (93)

I spent the first 16 to 17 years of my life as a member of the mormon church, going to church every sunday and going to young mens every tuesday, babtised at the age of 11, I even got to the point of blessing the sacrement and was about a year away from going on a mission.

eventially my mother and sister managed to convert me to christianity and for a few short months I belived every word that was said by the ministers at the particular church my mum goes to, then I came onto one of the religious threads in this forum and bullet magnet completely shook my view on the accuracy of the bible, then I decided to form a belief system of my own which was basically god in the gaps, and whenever I was unsure of something I tried to think it through logically but I always belived there was a god and he was a fair god.

but when my interest in science got stronger and I decided to find out as much as I could about the scientific view of the universe, and there were less and less things that I could give credit to god for, I eventially found myself beliving in a god who was created with the universe rather than him creating it, and he mearly adjusted matter and maybe the laws of physics to start the long process of the earth being formed and life starting, and then hasn't done anything since.

it was when I got to this point that I decided to abandon my blanket belief in a fair god definately existing and decided to belive only what can be accurately determined, and I could find no logical path to beliving in god or the afterlife, so I take the stand point of atheist untill proven otherwise

12-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Wings of Fire
Beautiful Bastard

: Dec 2007
: Stafford
: 9,537
Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)

:
so I take the stand point of atheist untill proven otherwise
That's redundant, just so you know.

A man who refuses to believe in God when faced with infaliable evidence isn't an atheist, he's pretty much an idiot.
“I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics,” Snyder said, a statement he immediately followed by saying, “Also, ‘It looks like a video game.’

12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

I don't think organized religion should have such a significant place in society in this day and age, but my faith in God is tantamount to who I am and the decisions I make. I believe science and logic and other fun words to make me seem pseudointelligent are the only absolutes we should use to make important decisions and leaving things up to fate is asinine. Vocal, militant atheists get my goat just as much as The obnoxious conservanazi faithful, but I'm quicker to yell at an atheist for not shutting the fuck up because that's just me.

I am now proceeding to never ever enter this thread again because I always ALWAYS get riled up at the idiocy and consternation that gestates. Good day.

12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
LDG519
Boombat

: Dec 2010
: sydney
: 238
LDG519  (93)

:
That's redundant, just so you know.

A man who refuses to believe in God when faced with infaliable evidence isn't an atheist, he's pretty much an idiot.
but I have not been faced with infaliable evidence, or any evidence for that matter, if at some point in the future I am faced with infaliable evidence then I will most likely reconsider my point of view