Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

02-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)
New n Tasty PC impressions

Continued on from this thread.

Quick summary of my experience playing from start to the end of the Paramonian Temple: game runs silky smooth at max settings on my mid-range card, picks up my gamepad fine (I’ve been having the deadzone issue that the dev have already picked up on but that’s small potatoes), and I love the classic control options.

Issues for me: the cutscenes running at abnormally low framerates, rolling under fast-moving meat saws is so hard to judge that it just becomes frustrating trial-and-error*, and goddamn bats. Audio mix seems to make voices too quiet and sound effects too loud, which I fixed by turning down the audio sliders for the sound effects and music.

*Looking at you, Paramonian Temple secret area.

--
:
Okay so I got to the monsiac lines before deciding to take a break. So far I am a little bit disappointed. Everything feels too fast, and I don't just mean the gameplay directly. The cutscene voices sometimes overlap each other just a little bit, as well as just feeling too quick like it's being played 1.2x speed or something, and the gamespeak voices sound like everyone is in a serious hurry. I guess the faster gameplay isn't really a bad thing, I was just hoping for, you know, Abe's Oddysee speed. But all this I can get over since (most) of the voices are good and the soundtrack is spot on perfect, I'll get to the soundtrack in a moment.
This is both the biggest thing that I want them to change for Exoddus and something that you quickly adjust to. It’s jarring at first but eventually you get accustomed to the faster pace, and it actually makes things more interesting at times.

:
For instance, I'll solve one of the secret puzzles (love the new trap door system btw) and feel it was a bit easy, then I'll try to remember how it was in AO and I'll quickly realize that the reason I did it so easy was I accidentally cheated. Going back to the areas and doing them again to see what was up I noticed I could get in specific positions where I could chant and take a slig over that I should not have been able to. Now, it's not like I am some speed runner who was specifically looking for tricks to take advantage of (*cough cough* shade *cough cough*) I just accidentally found these spots.
Plenty of the puzzles get harder once you leave Rupturefarms so take heart!

:
Another example, one that actually made one of the puzzles overly difficult, was the scrabs stop chasing you too easily. On the puzzle where you have to run back and forth across multiple gaps while being chased by a scrab I kept loosing the aggro and would have to inch closer to it to get it to chase me again so I could start my return trip.
:
Are you playing on Hard? Scrabs usually dont lose you if you play on hard, even if you hop jump (which is 1 frame faster than normally running). I had that happen to me on my normal playthrough but never since.

Btw, anyone playing on hard, beware of bats. bats will wreck your shit.
It happened to me on Hard, but I got enough of a headstart on it that it was never able to catch me.

You tell me about bats after I already completed Paramonia.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

02-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

: Sep 2008
: Rock bottom
: 4,911
Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

I also played to the end of Stockyard Escape, and despite some initial struggles with the controls, I really enjoyed myself. It's so exciting every time I come across something new! The attention to detail is really good, and I love how some of the new transitions worked. Visually it's better than I was expecting, to be honest. I'm glad I avoided any media relating to the PS version, so this is all totally new to me. From the start of Monsaic lines I'm so ready to see the rest.

I had a few issues with Line of Sight during a puzzle during Stockyard Escape, where you can lure the slig over using the alarm (rather than rolling away like in AO) to possess him and kill his 2 friends. He kept getting killed, just because I approached the other sligs at the slightly wrong speed. I ended up having to just inch onto the screen until I could get the perfect shot. It felt really awkward.

Also props to whoever decided to keep slog-hopping in. I was worried the bastards were going to kill me on the way over, but I managed to leg it past one in the Stockyards, even if it made the next puzzle a bit messier.
02-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

: Dec 2013
: Among the unmade music
: 1,086
Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)

Also on a note of the "classic controls" Does anyone know if there will be a classic keyboard controls? I was so excited about classic controls being a thing and was very sad that it was only a controller thing. Back during AO I used numpad keys for gamespeak. I don't mind the new controls, though using a digital keyboard for the surprisingly analog game is difficult at times.

Xorlidyr: The tidal waves clean our sins.

My Steam: spiderqueen ;Oddio is the best pun

02-26-2015, 01:34 AM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

: Sep 2014
: Australia
: 795
Shade667  (196)Shade667  (196)

I thought slog hopping wasnt intended, because abes jump has invincibility frames (u can jump through scrabs in some areas)
Patience is a virtue.

02-26-2015, 04:07 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

The brightness in the opening cutscene was quite intrusive and particularly noitceable in the boardroom scene. Is it the same with the rest of the game? I can't run it on my computer very well (misread the specs) so I don't want to play on.

Anyway, I then watched the cutscene in the Movie Player menu and everything was more clear. Is this intentional? Did they crank up the brightness because they thought those cutscenes were too dark? Is it the same on the PS4 version?

Here's an example of the difference:

Last edited by Holy Sock; 02-26-2015 at 04:09 AM..
02-26-2015, 04:36 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Not sure what the deal is with that brightness either, but it's annoying as fuck.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

02-26-2015, 06:09 AM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

Couldnt tell ya. Havnt watched em in ages. I dont remember having Issue with them though on PS4.
Patience is a virtue.

02-26-2015, 06:42 AM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

:
Not sure what the deal is with that brightness either, but it's annoying as fuck.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, hopefully they can tone it down via a patch (or let us know why they did that)

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

02-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

:
Also on a note of the "classic controls" Does anyone know if there will be a classic keyboard controls? I was so excited about classic controls being a thing and was very sad that it was only a controller thing. Back during AO I used numpad keys for gamespeak. I don't mind the new controls, though using a digital keyboard for the surprisingly analog game is difficult at times.
There’s no switch you can toggle for it, but if you’re dedicated you can rebind the keyboard controls to (mostly) match up with what you like.

02-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

I think I'll wait a while before buying till they fix the minor annoyances, like the lack of classic control scheme, too bright cutscenes and bugged flying mines.
02-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

I just finished the game, and I enjoyed it a lot. Obviously I don't like it as much as the original, but that's mainly nostalgia talking. It's also because of the ATMOSPHERE! This was the one word I kept repeating when I was nitpicking everything pre-release, because it was the one thing I was worried about the most.

It's safe to say that this game has a completely different atmosphere from the original, and this is mainly due to two things:

A. The world being more alive.
B. The use of comedy.

Now the more realistic world is fantastic, characters are more believable, as well as the universe in general. The bad side of this is that as a result, you feel less isolated, and less alone. This feeling practically made the original what it was, but in the remake it's completely absent.
My second point is how comedy is used. It's more akin to AE or even MO at some points. However, the majority of the time, the game does succeed in getting a giggle out of me, because it is very funny. The difference between this and the original is the fact that the original was more subtle about it (if only very slightly) and used it much more sparingly. Because NnT has something funny every 5 minutes, it kills any chance the game has of creating dramatic tension (another big part of the original).

Case in point: The section where Abe gains the power of Shrykull. It's a suspenseful moment, and dramatic as hell by the time he says "Rupture Farms should be warned". Then what happens? He trips up.
I'm not going to lie, it made me laugh. It's unexpected, it ruins his dramatic exit and makes him look like a fool, which is pretty damn funny. The problem is that all the tension that was just built up is now gone.

However, I think I'm looking at it the wrong way. It's not necessarily trying to replicate the originals dark tones and atmosphere down to a tee, it creates it's own unique ones. Maybe I should look at how it stands on it's own as opposed to how it compares to the game it was based on. I mean, we don't want a remake JUST for the graphic overhaul, we want something fresh, and NnT definitely delivers. This is the reason I had so much fun playing through it.

As for the graphics, they are just stunning. I take back what I said about the game having a tone completely unlike AO's, because if one thing does, it's the environments. The level of detail is incredible and the way some simple objects have been altered to fit better with the world is great, and there are some excellent little touches in there. My personal favourites are the big industrial lifts that replace a couple of otherwise bog standard RF doors. There's only two of them, but that's fine. Also they sound awesome, which brings me onto the sound design.

It's great for the most part, the only sounds I'm not so fond of are Scrabs really, but that's only because I miss their "howl". That sounded sick.
The soundtrack is great. It mainly consists of extremely subtle remixes of the original tracks, which could not have been done better. I'm excited for an OST release as finally I got to hear the awesome Scrabanian Nests music in it's full glory, as opposed to being chopped up due to the triggers, like it was in the original (I know the music in NnT is dynamic, too, but it's done a lot better).

Without a doubt, though, my favourite track has GOT to be the credits music. Lol jk. It's The Boardroom.
It always disappointed me how AO never had any finale music. I loved AE's Approaching the Boiler but it was nowhere near as epic as the addition of the music for The Boardroom in NnT is. It's so simple yet it makes everything feel so much grander, I'm talking the RE1 and 2 finales levels of epicness. So yeah guys, gonna need an OST release soon if you would be so kind.

When I beat the game I had to skip the credits because the music was so unbearable. Yeah, that bad.
I'm not saying the song is bad, I quite like it, but whoever made the decision to use it in the game at all, never mind right after the climax, is a right bell end.

Anyway, apart from a few minor annoyances (like the game being disappointingly easy for the most part, even on hard, unless there's bats or meat grinders, at those points it becomes nigh impossible), I very much enjoyed the game. 10/Train

Addendum: I forgot to talk about the controls.
The controls suck. Yeah. I don't know if it's just me but even by the end of the game I still didn't quite have my head round them. You're pretty much playing with just one hand and it's not very pleasant. I was playing on a keyboard, by the way. I couldn't bare the issues with the analogue stick with my 360 controller.

I know you can remap the keys but that's besides the point, defaults should not be this difficult to grasp. Unless everyone else was completely fine with them, in which case, disregard this section, I'm just a retard who can't use a keyboard.

My results were...
Mode: Hard
Total play time: 6:03 (I DON'T LIKE TO RUSH FIRST PLAYTHROUGHS OKAY)
Mudokons rescued: 291 (I have no fucking idea where those other 9 are)

Last edited by Nepsotic; 02-26-2015 at 02:11 PM..
02-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

theres only 8 u missed.
The 300th is Alf in the DLC.
Maybe it was the paramonian temple secret room? That has 8 mudokons in it.

Also, I like that it feels more alive. Makes you feel like its a big deal to rescue these guys.
Patience is a virtue.

02-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Yeah I agree with that. It definitely feels more like you've accomplished something important.
And nah, I got that room :/

02-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)Job McYossie  (857)

:
There’s no switch you can toggle for it, but if you’re dedicated you can rebind the keyboard controls to (mostly) match up with what you like.
You can't though because some of the controls which would be on the same key in AO wont let you have both be on that control.

02-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

It should be possible to map anything that doesn't cause a conflict. For instance, throwing won't map to most things because it'll make you drop a grenade wherever you stand doing that other thing, but anything to do with throwing can be mapped to same keys as anything that's Slig-unique.

But if there's something you think should be possible, let me know.

02-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

Looking back on it, it really was just that the throwing mechanics were changed and as soon as i saw that I just assumed there'd be more issues and gave up. That, and I really really wish I could map all the gamespeak options, not just 4 and then having an alternative 4, which I know that's how it was in the orignal PS version but I grew with the PC version where numpad 1-8 were what I used.

02-26-2015, 09:47 PM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

: Oct 2014
: London
: 687
FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)

You can use 1-8 from the regular numeric row, and you can at least map Chant to Num0. I realize that probably is different from the regular setup you used though.
02-27-2015, 12:00 AM
Job McYossie
Outlaw Cutter

Yeah 'cause I always used the numpad 1-8 because then I didn't have to move either of my hands, I could just use my right pinky finger for fast speaking.

02-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

I played up to the Free Fire Zone on my friend's laptop (who has a better graphics card than me). The game ran better but still didn't run particularly well so I think I'll wait until the Xbox One version so I can appreciate the visuals at a full resolution.

Here are my thoughts from having played that far. Note: Most of this will be nitpicks with the game, it's a lot easier to pick out what seemed 'off', but I hope it comes across as good natured feedback if anyone from JAW reads it.

I really like the voice acting in the game, particularly the new Glukkon voices. I'm not married to the original Abe voice and I really like Lorne's current take on the character. It may seem weird once or twice but that I chalk up to hearing a new take on classic dialogue we've heard hundreds of time in the past. I'm sure the same will happen with the Exoddus remake even though the voice is a lot close to the current one. The cutscenes, although not CG, seems to be pretty well lit, animated and with solid character models. The lighting is brighter and more stylised than the original but whatever - it still looks pretty good and works well on its own merits.

As I stated above the brightness in the opening cutscene seems dialed up too high. Something doesn't seem right when we get our first big glimpse of the New n Tasty poster and the only colour that comes through is bright white. But since the cutscenes in the Movie Player Extras aren't as bright I get the feeling this wasn't intended.

What I'm not really a fan of is that dirty camera filter. Both in cutscenes and ingame. Personally it seems to take away from the visuals that JAW and Monkey Brain Studios have worked hard to create. It's distracting and sort of broke my engagement with the game whenever I noticed it. Unlike, say, the noise filter in The Lost and the Damned (which players could toggle) this filter doesn't seem to really add anything to the aesthetic or atmosphere of the game.

To a much lesser extent I guess the bloom could be turned down in some of the few places I visited. Maybe it's used as a way to hide imperfections? Anyway, I feel like the guys at JAW should have more confidence in their ability to create stunning visuals without these effects. I mean that little moment where Abe's shadow is cast across the RF barrels in Zulag 1, the atmosphere and shadow work in the furnance room - and from what I've seen of Monsaic Lines and Paramonia in videos and screenshots - JAW have created a very impressive visual experience. They should be proud of that and they should let it shine through more in certain areas. I mean I think JAW's Free Fire Zone could look great without relying on that bloomy sky too much.

Now that they have Steam Zones instead of Shadow Zones perhaps they could focus on stronger shadow work moving forward? I don't know.

The character models are great and it fulfills that childhood fantasy of seeing the ingame character models match the same quality in cutscenes.

From what I've seen animations, for the most part, give Abe and his cohorts a breath of life. The animations between states of walking and running seem very smooth and natural. However, as has been discussed in the past (and I imagine JAW are getting sick of hearing these criticisms repeated) some of the animations feel like they've been sped up to keep the gameplay and animation speed in line with the original. I imagine due to budget, time, and game development's unforgiving mistress of compromise they weren't reanimated to compensate for the increased speed. This, unfortunately, makes it more obvious since a lot of the animations are very smooth.

A minor thing I noticed, and I don't know if it has to do with what's above, but when changing direction as a Slig or as Abe (whilst running) there's a little jolt between the turning animation and the running cycle animation.

I think Sligs beating down Mudokons feels relatively tame. JAW created a great cowering animation, where Mudokons actually shake with fear, but it's only used when your Slig shouts "Look out". It seems like a missed opportunity to use it when a Slig hits a worker. I also think that, perhaps, the sound effect could feel a bit more painful. In AO & AE it really felt like the Sligs were laying into those poor Mudokons. From a sadistic POV it also means it's less fun to beat on Mudokons yourself

The range of voice commands is something I really love - as is the range of Mudokon voices. Some of the Idle dialogue is quite funny although it does get a bit irritating hearing the same Mudokon groan over and over again. I think idle dialogue should be less frequent - or perhaps in specific areas (although one runs the risk of hearing the exact same dialogue over and over again when they restart the same checkpoint) - it means the lines retain their intended impact yet the player won't get sick of hearing them by the time they leave Zulag 1 (although, I imagine, not everyone has a problem with this). I also guess, coupled with the cowering beat downs, Mudokons would feel a bit more oppressed? I don't know.

As mentioned with the Slig beatdowns, from what I've played, there's a couple of sound effects that I felt could feel more visceral. Getting shot seems a lot less brutal this time around. I'm not saying Oddworld needs to become Gears of War but the very penetrating "splat" sound effect coupled with Abe's short, painful cry really sold how nasty getting shot is. It seems like a great moment where the brutality of the game takes you aback considering the goofy characters. Simiarly it feels like JAW could get more mileage from the sound effects of meat saws grinding our beloved characters and mines blowing them up. I suppose the possession sound effect could have a stronger presence in the game, too.

Anyway, I don't expect any of this to be considered for a future patch. The game is the game and it seems to be doing well critically and among audiences. I'd love if JAW or OWI considered some of this for the potential Exoddus remake and, considering most of this isn't new, I imagine they've already thought about which criticisms they may or may not take on board.

I'd like to say a lot more about the backgrounds and the re-design of the levels but I'll wait until I experience the full game. From what I've seen, though, it does a great job at making Rupture Farms feel like a running factory and I've liked a lot of the visual choices I've seen so far.

Last edited by Holy Sock; 02-27-2015 at 05:01 AM..
02-27-2015, 06:14 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

I agree with pretty much all of that, and there’s a couple of things I want to highlight too:

:
A minor thing I noticed, and I don't know if it has to do with what's above, but when changing direction as a Slig or as Abe (whilst running) there's a little jolt between the turning animation and the running cycle animation.
It definitely feels less fluid to do a running turn. It’s one of my favorite parts of the animation in AO and AE, but it feels a bit stiff – both because of that jolt and because the animation itself is a little too short. In the original Abe always slid a little further, which made the animation last a little longer.

:
As mentioned with the Slig beatdowns, from what I've played, there's a couple of sound effects that I felt could feel more visceral. Getting shot seems a lot less brutal this time around. I'm not saying Oddworld needs to become Gears of War but the very penetrating "splat" sound effect coupled with Abe's short, painful cry really sold how nasty getting shot is. It seems like a great moment where the brutality of the game takes you aback considering the goofy characters.
I feel like the actual gunshot sound is less effective as well. It sounds more like the sound effect used in Munch than the one in AO/AE, which is a shame as the original sounded more like a real live gun. The sound of bullet casings landing on the floor seems to be missing as well.

Speaking of sound effects, I just watched a gameplay video of the original AO (to check I wasn’t misremembering how the guns sounded) and I noticed that a fair few sound effects in NnT are higher pitched than their original counterparts: Slig voices, Slig legs, Abe’s footsteps, Abe sneaking, etc.

02-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

:
I agree with pretty much all of that, and there’s a couple of things I want to highlight too:

It definitely feels less fluid to do a running turn. It’s one of my favorite parts of the animation in AO and AE, but it feels a bit stiff – both because of that jolt and because the animation itself is a little too short. In the original Abe always slid a little further, which made the animation last a little longer.
Aye, I think maybe that's an example of a slightly sped up effect. The Slig version of that animation is actually pretty great, though. Watching the old 2012 footage you can tell a lot of work went into these animations but it's also clear that Abe's movement is a lot slower than in the originals.

On another note OWI's twitter linked to this video. Despite these criticisms it's nice to see players really loving the game.

02-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

It is a super fun game and I feel kinda bad that nitpicking is the easiest thing to talk about. I absolutely love this game and I can see myself replaying it quite a few times.

Speaking of nitpicking, is it me or is Shrykull power often unnecessary to finish puzzles? I’ve just finished Zulag 2 and every section gives you Shrykull, but only one area actually needs it to accomplish anything.

02-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Yeah I noticed that on the PS4. Almost every puzzle after Zulag 1 rewards you with a Shrykull but there's no reason to use it, like, ever.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

02-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Welp, credits are rolling. I see they kept the secret shortcut in the Boardroom. Aren’t the Board Glukkons supposed to get zapped by Shrykull?

Also aww the forums got a thanks in the credits, I feel warm and fuzzy inside.

e: I missed 3 mudokons somehow?!

e2: I found em. 100% complete on Hard Mode.

Last edited by Manco; 02-27-2015 at 09:13 AM..
02-27-2015, 12:51 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

So great to see so many youtube videos of the game. I love Tear of Grace by the way, I started watching his Shadow of Mordor videos and now I watch all of his videos. I probably summed up most of my thoughts earlier in the thread, but here are what I felt were the biggest differences between this and AO, along with what I enjoy about the new version (such as rumble and quiksave).

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

02-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

OWI also linked to a pretty good review on NeoGaf by a member called NotLiquid where he also addresses New 'n' Tasty's Bogeyman.

Link

EDIT: One thing I have to say about JAW and OWI is that their dedication to fan interaction and feedback is pretty excellent. I have a sort of obsessive tendency to check Oddworld's presence on social media and they do a great job at addressing queries, criticisms, joking around with fans and making them feel a little special, and diffusing and helping the more spiteful and vitriolic folks on the internet.

Like Manco expressed it's probably why I always feel a little bad throwing criticisms their way. I think we'd all love for JAW to take on board our own personal criticisms of the game, so the future of the franchise personally appeals to us, but I really don't want them to feel like they're unappreciated. I'm glad people seem to be really digging the game despite whatever flaws us on the Forums might feel it has.

Anyway, it's their interactions, quick feedback, and quick dedication to the game that makes me feel the franchise will be in good hands for the long term. Let's just home this game sells, eh?

Last edited by Holy Sock; 02-27-2015 at 03:32 PM..
02-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

:
Yeah I noticed that on the PS4. Almost every puzzle after Zulag 1 rewards you with a Shrykull but there's no reason to use it, like, ever.
Ive certainly found uses for it :P

I think I use it at least 4 times in the zulags.
Maybe 3 times now actually. I recently cut one of them out of my route.
Speaking of shrykull, did u know u can beat the game with 1 shrykull? its a neat trick.
Patience is a virtue.

02-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

Alright, which devious bastard is responsible for the puzzles in Alf’s Escape.

02-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

The more I read the more I'm scared to play that level...

02-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

It’s not too bad, but there’s quite a few surprises in there…

Anyway, I’ve now 100% completed the main game and completed Alf’s Escape. I have most of the achievements, and I think I’ll wait until the next patch comes out to fix the cutscenes before I do a second run to get the bad ending and the rest of those achievements. I hope I’m not waiting too long though because I’m itching to play more.

Last edited by Manco; 02-28-2015 at 03:00 PM..