Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

04-06-2021, 11:39 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)
Oddworld: Soulstorm Megathread

Hello ladies and gents. I thought I’d set up a Soulstorm megathread here purely because this forum has been waiting for a new Oddworld game since 2005, and it only seemed fitting that we discuss Soulstorm on OWF while we still can.

Probably goes without saying, but please put spoilers in spoiler tags!

What are our thoughts? Personally, I think it’s OK. It’s a shame I can’t sit here foaming at the mouth in excitement about Soulstorm, but I think it’s just lacking in a few key areas that really set AO and AE apart from other platformers (and indeed, other games across genres) of their day. A few brief points:

• The music score is severely lacking, comparative to Abe’s Exoddus. Every track in the original game was memorable and distinct, harmonious with the area you were in. The FeeCo depot music to me for example, is an iconic Oddworld track. Bross’ soundtrack is very samey, and not a single piece of music has so far stood out to me. I hope that that changes when we get to the industrial areas later in the game.

• The actual locations in game really to a good job at giving a sense of depth and scale. This really turns Abe’s journey into something epic, which seems to be what the developers are going for. Fair play for that. With this said, a lot of the areas feel very samey. All the ‘native’ areas in the first few levels of the game blend into one another. What I presume to be Monsaic Lines at the start, has been scrubbed of its original charm, and is now a russet brown sanctum surrounded by russet brown desert and russet brown canyons. I have only seen one vista so far that made me stop for a moment and think, ‘wow, this is really cool’, whereas with AO and AE I frequently stopped to take in my surroundings despite them being static screens in lower resolution.

• The UI isn’t an issue for me. It’d be nice if it was a little more Oddworldy in aesthetic, but it’s not the end of the world. I appreciate that the interface is not very intrusive. That said, holy shit the constant achievement pop-ups are immersion breaking. There seems to be no way to turn these off on the PS4 which sucks. I know there’s a healthy community of people who want to get 100% game completion and speedrun levels, but for those of us who are invested in the story and are less into the meta-game, achievement pop-ups are really frustrating. It’d be great if we can toggle these off in a patch update.

• Actual gameplay is mostly enjoyable I think. Jumping up ledges is fucking annoying though, and I’ve died more often from just not getting what I thought would be a perfect jump correct, than from the actual puzzle difficulty itself. The crafting mechanic does actually work, I think. I don’t mind making smoke bombs and stuff like that, definitely found the smoke bomb sections of the game more fun than just setting things on fire and then putting them out.

• The opening film is gorgeous. Really did a good job of setting up the game, although the script is a little off in places. I don’t know if Abe was meant to be much of a talker because his actual voice changes from cut-scene to cut-scene. I appreciate the characterisation of Abe as the reluctant messiah, and I think the game has so far done a really good job of bringing that out. I am a little disappointed at the lack of an actual story … I don’t know if I’m just misremembering here, or looking back on AE with rose tinted glasses but I feel like there was a lot more actual story development despite there only being a few cut-scenes in game. Soulstorm seems to pick up story threads and then just drop them. One things that comes to mind is when Abe runs off at the end of one of the earlier levels, followed by three flying sligs. You assume we’re going to jump into a cut-scene that factors this in or at least have this chase organically set up the next level but nope, nothing. Another time a mudokon talks about hearing fleech screams in the mines, with the implication that all his buddies have been picked off by fleeches one by one. You even have to grab some fleech guano as one of the game objectives, but no fleeches ever appear. Just some slogs.

I'm only coming up to the Old Trellis now, so I do think there's plenty of time for Soulstorm to pick up and improve in the areas that are letting it down. Fingers crossed! And despite my criticisms, I'm still enjoying the game, which I think is the most important thing.

e: so I got to the slig barracks and both the story and the environments are improving, the latter significantly. They got that green shade juuuuust right.

Last edited by STM; 04-08-2021 at 01:55 PM..
04-07-2021, 10:11 AM
Scraby
Outlaw Cutter

: Dec 2008
: Rijeka
: 1,246
Scraby  (132)Scraby  (132)

The game is quite nice, but there are a few bugs I have encountered, and some animations do feel kinda wonky as if they were rushed. The cinematics are awesome. As for the gameplay some levels did give me a headache XD As for the audio, it would have been good if they added the background tracks to set the tone more. The game is pretty good, and would be even better when they sort out the bugs and glitches.

04-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

: Aug 2007
: classified
: 167
Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)

I haven't got far in the game by now but here are my initial impressions.

What I like:
- The cinematics and character design. There's much attention to detail, as always.
- The scenery is nice. The deep canyon terrain makes the vertical platform-based level more natural. I also like that Monsaic lines appear to be a part of a larger ancient city. However, it was somewhat strange that there were no paramite or scrab statues in the initial Monsaic level.
- The crafting system seems to be okay. It does bring novelty to the game process.

What I don't like:
- Many bugs. Certain objects get stuck mid-air (missiles from the blimb, stun mines), sligs have shot through floor a couple of times, some slap-mines (UXB's) are glitchy (slapping a mine deactivates another right next to it).
- I've bought a PC version and it looks like the port was made in a big rush. The biggest offence is that it does not allow to re-map controls in a proper way. You can't re-map shift, alt and ctrl buttons as well as the mouse. I'm more used to the old-stype controls so I'd like to map throwing to keyboard, use shift for running and alt for sneaking.
- At certain points it looks like the game wasn't playtested enaugh gameplay-wise. It mostly becomes apparent when dealing with the sligs. They tend to get 'stuck' in certain positions that makes it impossible to proceed without restarting. And there's no way to make them move. Chanting does not always work (they start to scuttle around and then return to same exact positions). I thought trowing stuff would distract them and make them go inspect the noise but it does not work (at least with the bottles).

Making it possible to distract a slig by throwing stuff without being noticed will be very nice.

I also agree with STM that it should be possible to disable the meta-game info. It's really immersion-breaking.

I hope these issues are going to be corrected further on. Especially the controls - it really breaks the game.

Other thoughts: the ladder-climbing sections seem to be ridiculously difficult to complete without a body count but maybe that's just me being a noob. It's also worth adding a brief specification for the difficulty levels.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 04-07-2021 at 02:47 PM..
04-07-2021, 03:08 PM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

:

• The music score is severely lacking, comparative to Abe’s Exoddus. Every track in the original game was memorable and distinct, harmonious with the area you were in. The FeeCo depot music to me for example, is an iconic Oddworld track. Bross’ soundtrack is very samey, and not a single piece of music has so far stood out to me. I hope that that changes when we get to the industrial areas later in the game.
The music is actually by Josh Gabriel, who composed Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. A scheduling conflict forced Bross to drop out very early into the project.

Although I do somewhat agree that Soulstorm's music is lacking the pumping intensity that AO, AE & Stranger's Wrath had, I think this was an intentional decision to modernise the game and make it feel more like a contemporary movie, which have by and large ditched melodic musical scores and looped samples in favour of heavy droning tracks.

However, the title screen music is particularly haunting, and really brings a new layer of sadness to Oddworld that I don't think we've felt before in the franchise (despite the groundwork being there.)

It's encouraging that so far at least, Lorne appears to have ultimate faith in the emotional weight of his IP now, and no longer feels the need to undercut the series's heavier tones with cartoonish humour - This feels like Oddworld 2.0. The Oddworld I've been waiting for since the Art Book teased the lore's full potential, and I'm loving it!

04-07-2021, 11:51 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

:
- I've bought a PC version and it looks like the port was made in a big rush. The biggest offence is that it does not allow to re-map controls in a proper way. You can't re-map shift, alt and ctrl buttons as well as the mouse. I'm more used to the old-stype controls so I'd like to map throwing to keyboard, use shift for running and alt for sneaking.
You can remap shift, alt etc. Just hold them down in the rebind menu.
04-08-2021, 01:46 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

:
The music is actually by Josh Gabriel, who composed Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. A scheduling conflict forced Bross to drop out very early into the project.

Although I do somewhat agree that Soulstorm's music is lacking the pumping intensity that AO, AE & Stranger's Wrath had, I think this was an intentional decision to modernise the game and make it feel more like a contemporary movie, which have by and large ditched melodic musical scores and looped samples in favour of heavy droning tracks.

However, the title screen music is particularly haunting, and really brings a new layer of sadness to Oddworld that I don't think we've felt before in the franchise (despite the groundwork being there.)

It's encouraging that so far at least, Lorne appears to have ultimate faith in the emotional weight of his IP now, and no longer feels the need to undercut the series's heavier tones with cartoonish humour - This feels like Oddworld 2.0. The Oddworld I've been waiting for since the Art Book teased the lore's full potential, and I'm loving it!

That's a good point about the music to be fair, and I didn't know that they brought Josh back. I suppose they are going for a more cinematic feel, I know this is the general direction games are going now but I do feel it's a bit of a shame. Still, it's a creative decision and I can respect that.

04-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

:
You can remap shift, alt etc. Just hold them down in the rebind menu.
Thanks! Still not possible to re-bind the mouse though.

To add to my post above: the secret on the blimp level is just ridiculous. You'd think the lever opens the secret door for some time but apparently it's not the case. Looks like there's a one-time trigger somewhere which starts the countdown and you can't restart it without restarting the whole level. Maybe the lever itself works only once. Anyway, I call bad design on that.

04-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Yeah, you have to be quick to get there.
04-08-2021, 03:26 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

:
Yeah, you have to be quick to get there.
I did manage to get this secret on the fourth try but it'd be good if they let you somehow know or at least guess beforehands that there's such a door ahead. Place a hand-stone that shows this door open at the beginning of the level or something. At least this may give you a good hint that you have to get there quick.

Also there's a notable glitch at the end of the Sorrow valley flying slig section. If you burn down the paletts near the slig booths some of the sligs will just remain walking in thin air. It isn't game-breaking though.

On the positive side, I really enjoy the environments. Got to the Phat station so far. They did manage to convey the grandiose scale of Oddworldian landscapes and infrastructure.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 04-08-2021 at 03:35 PM..
04-09-2021, 01:32 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

:
I did manage to get this secret on the fourth try but it'd be good if they let you somehow know or at least guess beforehands that there's such a door ahead. Place a hand-stone that shows this door open at the beginning of the level or something. At least this may give you a good hint that you have to get there quick.
Agreed

:
Also there's a notable glitch at the end of the Sorrow valley flying slig section. If you burn down the paletts near the slig booths some of the sligs will just remain walking in thin air. It isn't game-breaking though.
Yeah, I got that too - made a meme out of it on OWF's Discord https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...4066/onAir.mp4
04-09-2021, 03:50 AM
Dixanadu
Outlaw Semi Auto

: May 2009
: Northern Ireland, UK
: 2,387
Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)

I'm really enjoying it, much more than New 'n' Tasty. I was initially skeptical on the new art direction, but the subtleties in the characters expressions quickly won me over. My main gripe is how Abe just sounds so lifeless at times, an example is when he's on fire, he just sounds like he isn't bothered being in pain.

The story is okay, but I'm still only a few hours into it. I am liking the inclusion of the Molluck side-plot, and interested in seeing where that's gonna go.

Also, I've noticed a bug that if you shoot an armoured/heavy slig, his dead body morphs into a normal slig which is kinda jarring.

04-11-2021, 03:41 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

i haven't played it yet because reasons but hopefully i will soon!
04-11-2021, 05:21 AM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

After passing a good portion of the game I have to say that I enjoy it. Turned out really well! I have to note I like the way the scavenging and crafting mechanics diversified the game's tactics. Initially I was sceptical about the ladder-climbing segments but they turned out challenging in a good way.

As for the story, I've given in to temptation and watched all the cinematics. They're awesome and the story is good enaugh for me! Although I feel like they had to throw away much stuff to finally get the game released. I'd say that mostly shows in how the glukkons' characters are left underdeveloped. The point about delusion and mistrust is nice but to me it wasn't detailed enaugh. Seems like the story lacks a character like Aslik from Exoddus who understands the true situation but actively tries to use it against his peers to get the upper hand no matter what. Still a good thing they've decided to release the game now though.

As for the side-characters, I totally like the slig chaffeur and the way he trolls Molluck all the time

04-14-2021, 03:14 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

One more observation: the game will greatly improve from allowing the player to save and load on checkpoints the old way, not just restart from last checkpoint. There are enaugh situations when you screw up and accidently hit a checkpoint which forces you to restart the whole level. For example, in Necrum there are several sections where you lead mudokons through series of grinders and there are checkpoints right after the grinders. If mudokons die on the last grinder and you don't notice right away it's a level restart. Even if you scout the section ahead before leading the muds you're not completely safe from screwing up like that.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 04-14-2021 at 03:16 PM..
04-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

I haven't even finished the second level of this game yet and honestly I'm not currently up to play more of it, it's waaay too much bugged along many other issues regarding gameplay.
Some bugs even make full pacifist runs impossible to do, plus the quarma system isn't even this big thing we thought apperently was (saving the sligs is pointless for example, doesn't affect the endings at all). They are releasing small patches for these bugs, yes, but they haven't fixed much at all actually.
A particular thing about this bug state is that the game was apperently already done around february about everything except the bugs, which were nearly done during that time. Word from Lorne Lanning.
Then the day before the release they said we'd encounter on launch bugs that wouldn't ruin much the game experience. Most of us played it on launch and it was a disaster.

The platform gameplay is also less precise compared to the old games, making it harder to play the game. Especially with the new elements added such as double jump and acrobatics, which are not the best either in terms of controls.
I'm not saying it's too hard, I instead enjoy hard games where you might even need to to die a lot; the point is the gameplay is broken, like it wasn't well planned and then well executed during production.

Aesthetically it's neat, but pretty much different from the past games. Much of the style has changed, probably in terms of lore too. The cinematics are stunning and well directed. But that's it. It doesn't exactly feel like it has the old oddworld lore, mysticism and controversial topics we all loved, for now. That's why I'd be curious to go forward on this game, if it allows me to play it properly for once. I'm gonna wait for a proper good and big patch (like a 1.2, and not something like 1.07, 1.08...) to complete it, but if that doesn't even happen and we're left with another bug disaster that'll never get fixed for good then I'll just watch a walkthrough and good riddance.

We've waited 6 years for this game, during which OWI promised a title made slowly and carefully with passion. Doesn't even feel like one tbh, I'd just go back to AE instead: that one instead looked more like something made with passion and proper study on every aspect of it. And it was rushed.
There's nothing much more for me to say about it so far because I haven't been able to complete it. But right now, all I see is a broken game with interesting concepts regarding gameplay and story, which makes you think they care about the details of every side of the game, but then you see the bad stuff thus ruining the whole experience.
It's a mess, but in syntax it feels like a lazy product. It makes me curious, then when I actually get my hands on it, the curiosity easily disappears.

6 fucking years. Six bloody years of bullshit god fucking damn it.

04-17-2021, 05:40 AM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

:
Some bugs even make full pacifist runs impossible to do
Full-pacifist run doesn't seem to be possible by design. At least not a save-all full-pacifist run. There are moments later in the game where there's no option to proceed and save the mudokons other than by killing sligs.

The story-telling and level design makes me think that the idea of sligs weighting in on the quarma was abandoned about half-way through the developement.

I've tried sparing every other slig at first but by the end of the second level I decided that it's far too tricky and isn't worth it. There have to be necesssary victims

P. S. I think OWI should release a toolkit for Soulstorm. I'm sure there still are fans that would be more than happy to polish the game for them And create their own levels.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 04-17-2021 at 05:47 AM..
04-17-2021, 01:50 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

I gave up on the game this week after completing the Escape level only to find myself unable to progress due to a glitch. Took me hours and multiple attempts to complete that level, only to be thrown back to the main screen and forced to do it again was the final straw for me. I can't even just "continue game" from the main menu because of another game breaking bug that always throws me back to Sanctum (another level I had to complete three times due to glitches).

Soulstorm is a glitchy, buggy mess with poor controls and a severe lack of quality control. I wanted to love this game so much, but I can't. It feels half finished. The story has way too many loose ends, plot holes and a lack of resolution. STM sad.

04-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

:
I gave up on the game this week after completing the Escape level only to find myself unable to progress due to a glitch. Took me hours and multiple attempts to complete that level, only to be thrown back to the main screen and forced to do it again was the final straw for me. I can't even just "continue game" from the main menu because of another game breaking bug that always throws me back to Sanctum (another level I had to complete three times due to glitches).
For me the Escape level turned out surprisingly easy. I anticipated it to be pure hell from the moment I saw it in Lanning's interview but actually made it with no mudokon deaths and with just about ten restarts most of which were on the flying mine section. However, I had a glitch on Sanctum. At the end screen I pressed continue but got thrown back to the beginning of the level. Maybe it had something to do with me loading the level from the 'choose level' menu rather than by pressing continue. Or I could've just pressed a wrong key. The PC version still has gamepad keys indication in all the menus.

I've got to FeeCo freight yards by now and... yeah. Glitches aside, the game does look rushed. On the one hand, there are awesome well-detailed assets and grandiose scenery but on the other hand, many places look as if they were thrown together with no final revision. I understand that nothing is perfect and it's usually not possible to polish a product to perfection but in this case there seem to be too many rough places. This game took 6 years to develop after all.

Here are some of the problems ordered by frequency: awkwardly intersecting objects (both static and animated), over-stretched textures on close-up geometry, meshes with missing planes, low-poly rocks close-up, Z-fighting. I'd also say the generic industrial walkway and generic stone walkway assets are over-used, as well as some doorway assets. It's a relatively small thing but still begs to be dealt with.

Also, while some places are rich in details other look too empty. For example, take FeeCo depot. The walls, the walkways, the ornaments - they're an eye-candy. I especially like the big mudokon ornaments on the walls. However, the level looks kind of empty, hovering over the 'void'. I understand this is probably due to optimization reasons but still I think something could've done with it. Maybe adding some wall structures and visually separating areas to keep less assets loaded for certain sections could've done the trick.

There are also moments at the end of Slig Barracks and Necrum where the train very noticeably intersects with the surrounding structures and visibly rides into the draw distance 'screen'. It makes a rather stark contrast with all the attention to detail put into the train itself.

Those are all more or less small things by themselves but they do add up and eventyally cross the theshold between ''the game has occasional rough places but no big deal" and "the game definitely needs good polishing".

As for the gameplay, I'm really surprised to say I enjoy it much. At least so far. The only decision I definitely don't like is how the secret on the Blimp level was designed. Otherwise, I'm happy with the new mechanics. I'd re-iterate that they blend well with the old-style gameplay and game design. At least for me.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 04-18-2021 at 12:20 PM..
04-19-2021, 01:41 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

:
I haven't even finished the second level of this game yet and honestly I'm not currently up to play more of it, it's waaay too much bugged along many other issues regarding gameplay.
Some bugs even make full pacifist runs impossible to do, plus the quarma system isn't even this big thing we thought apperently was (saving the sligs is pointless for example, doesn't affect the endings at all). They are releasing small patches for these bugs, yes, but they haven't fixed much at all actually.
A particular thing about this bug state is that the game was apperently already done around february about everything except the bugs, which were nearly done during that time. Word from Lorne Lanning.
Then the day before the release they said we'd encounter on launch bugs that wouldn't ruin much the game experience. Most of us played it on launch and it was a disaster.

The platform gameplay is also less precise compared to the old games, making it harder to play the game. Especially with the new elements added such as double jump and acrobatics, which are not the best either in terms of controls.
I'm not saying it's too hard, I instead enjoy hard games where you might even need to to die a lot; the point is the gameplay is broken, like it wasn't well planned and then well executed during production.

Aesthetically it's neat, but pretty much different from the past games. Much of the style has changed, probably in terms of lore too. The cinematics are stunning and well directed. But that's it. It doesn't exactly feel like it has the old oddworld lore, mysticism and controversial topics we all loved, for now. That's why I'd be curious to go forward on this game, if it allows me to play it properly for once. I'm gonna wait for a proper good and big patch (like a 1.2, and not something like 1.07, 1.08...) to complete it, but if that doesn't even happen and we're left with another bug disaster that'll never get fixed for good then I'll just watch a walkthrough and good riddance.

We've waited 6 years for this game, during which OWI promised a title made slowly and carefully with passion. Doesn't even feel like one tbh, I'd just go back to AE instead: that one instead looked more like something made with passion and proper study on every aspect of it. And it was rushed.
There's nothing much more for me to say about it so far because I haven't been able to complete it. But right now, all I see is a broken game with interesting concepts regarding gameplay and story, which makes you think they care about the details of every side of the game, but then you see the bad stuff thus ruining the whole experience.
It's a mess, but in syntax it feels like a lazy product. It makes me curious, then when I actually get my hands on it, the curiosity easily disappears.

6 fucking years. Six bloody years of bullshit god fucking damn it.
You can still save nearly every slig in the game (a few are impossible to spare), for extra challenge and satisfaction. Who cares if there's no achievement or whatever.

:
For me the Escape level turned out surprisingly easy. I anticipated it to be pure hell from the moment I saw it in Lanning's interview but actually made it with no mudokon deaths and with just about ten restarts most of which were on the flying mine section.
You can save every slig in this level except for the three kind-of tutorial ones at the beginning

EDIT: Maybe you can save those 3 as well...

Last edited by Varrok; 04-19-2021 at 09:02 AM..
04-19-2021, 09:35 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

:
You can still save nearly every slig in the game (a few are impossible to spare), for extra challenge and satisfaction. Who cares if there's no achievement or whatever.

04-19-2021, 09:38 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

:
Yeah, I wouldn't get an achievement. But I would still have fun.
04-19-2021, 09:45 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

Well that's life I guess

04-23-2021, 12:57 PM
RoryF
aka OddMan360

: Jul 2009
: 42 Wallaby Way
: 1,485
RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)RoryF  (860)

:

Soulstorm is a glitchy, buggy mess with poor controls and a severe lack of quality control. I wanted to love this game so much, but I can't. It feels half finished. The story has way too many loose ends, plot holes and a lack of resolution. STM sad.

As much as I kinda expected it to be NNT 2 it is a bit sad seeing people so disappointed with this game.

I'm honestly just wondering what happened during development, seems like so much stuff got cut, which is crazy considering the timespan between NNT and this.

Side note, I think it's funny that they clearly did not really test it with keyboard much at all despite it having a PC release. There's no UI for it (not a bug, it's literally not there) and changing to tranquilizer darts isn't even bindable (from what I heard). Totally bizarre to be honest!

04-24-2021, 12:13 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

:
As much as I kinda expected it to be NNT 2 it is a bit sad seeing people so disappointed with this game.

I'm honestly just wondering what happened during development, seems like so much stuff got cut, which is crazy considering the timespan between NNT and this.

Side note, I think it's funny that they clearly did not really test it with keyboard much at all despite it having a PC release. There's no UI for it (not a bug, it's literally not there) and changing to tranquilizer darts isn't even bindable (from what I heard). Totally bizarre to be honest!
I actually like Soulstorm far more than N'n'T despite of my remarks above. Almost completed the game by now and it's been genuinely fun and challenging with just a couple of over-the-top moments. But indeed, it's very interesting to know the reason for such poor testing. Was the game developed by a team of three people or so?

That aside, I think there are some peculiar plot points to discuss. The first one is that the industrialists are explicitly shown to be generally unaware of mind control except for some sligs who witnessed it first hand. However, all the facilities are equipped with lots of chant supressors. What for, I wonder?

The second point is about the mudokons' place in Oddworld society. The media peddles outrage about the murder of 300 mudokon workers and the Brewmaster mentions, among other things, that the brew will prevent escapees from contacting the labor unions. On the other hand, Molluck planned to openly sell mudokon meat products. Does it mean that the mudokons are publicly viewed basically as draft animals, albeit more intelligent ones?

04-24-2021, 02:16 PM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

I got the impression Chant suppressors are an old technology because all Muds have the ability to Chant if they tap into it (as we see with Muds chanting in Monsaic and regular Muds in Soulstorm when Abe chants).

But it seems to me that Abe is the only one that has the ability to possess at the moment. Since he is special. So I get the impression that Possession is one of those things that, if ALL Muds have the ability, it's something that's kinda long forgotten or hasn't been experienced for quite some time.
04-27-2021, 08:28 PM
seniormeatbox
Stingbee

: Apr 2016
: Nowhere
: 96
seniormeatbox  (47)

I honestly wonder if they had a whole different version of the game decently done years back and then scrapped it.

I wouldn't mind most of the changes if they worked all the time (minus the crafting, it's literally an extra step that takes up more time to get the items you need instead of just GIVING you the puzzle item like they did in NNT and the first two games)

I have the PS4 version (Don't have the money for a PS5 even if it was available to buy) and I've been stuck at the ending segment of "The Yards" for 6 days now. Oddworld is hard as balls, but it always felt fair, it always felt like Trial and error would get you through each puzzle, but jesus that elevator segment is just torture.
04-28-2021, 04:09 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

:
I got the impression Chant suppressors are an old technology because all Muds have the ability to Chant if they tap into it (as we see with Muds chanting in Monsaic and regular Muds in Soulstorm when Abe chants).

But it seems to me that Abe is the only one that has the ability to possess at the moment. Since he is special. So I get the impression that Possession is one of those things that, if ALL Muds have the ability, it's something that's kinda long forgotten or hasn't been experienced for quite some time.

I didn't get this. There's no explanation as to why industrial mudokons can suddenly chant to increase the power/range of Abe's ability. Despite the last two decades of lore about how industrial/slave mudokons are disconnected from their spiritual roots, now they can chant as well. This really upends the narrative established by AO/NnT. If they all have the power of possession now, why don't they use it? Big plot hole.

04-28-2021, 07:14 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

:
I didn't get this. There's no explanation as to why industrial mudokons can suddenly chant to increase the power/range of Abe's ability. Despite the last two decades of lore about how industrial/slave mudokons are disconnected from their spiritual roots, now they can chant as well. This really upends the narrative established by AO/NnT. If they all have the power of possession now, why don't they use it? Big plot hole.
I don't think they can all possess. Just Chant. Like the way you see Muds in Monsaic chanting as a form of meditation or whatever. I guess all Muds have that inherent ability to Chant but it doesn't make them powerful. It just seems they can give their Chi to Abe to bolster Abe's powers specifically. And obviously the Monsaic Muds made that lightening bolt and Big Face has some powers. They've obviously mastered that ability somewhat.

I assume all enslaved Muds have to ability to channel their chi. But only Abe can actually do anything great with it. I don't think there's anything in the game that says the Muds to anything other than bolster Abes powers.
04-28-2021, 10:33 AM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

:
Oddworld is hard as balls, but it always felt fair, it always felt like Trial and error would get you through each puzzle, but jesus that elevator segment is just torture.
There's one strategy which makes it much easier:
- possess a flying slig as soon as you're on the container.
- break the boxes.
- release the slig, collect stuff, craft binding candies and push the button.
- possess the slig again and kill the sligs untill you reach the chant supressors.
If you proceed like this you should have just enaugh binding candies to deal with the rest of the sligs. It is also possible to kill the flying sligs with Molotovs if you catch them at the side-platforms but it's tricky. Also save Shrykull for this second half of the ride.

05-01-2021, 04:53 PM
Alf Shall Rise
Outlaw Shooter

: Feb 2007
: New Jersey
: 1,438
Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)Alf Shall Rise  (1116)

I've been waiting until I got the best ending before posting here but I have to share this. I've gotten the good ending and I'm replaying levels that I didn't get good quarma on. I only have Slig Barracks left, which is personally one of the most frustrating levels in the game for me. I was going through it and got every Mudokon, all badges, zero Slig deaths all on hard mode and then I get stuck at the second delivery cannon part.

I'm stuck for about an hour because this segment is utter bullshit especially on hard. But I'm finally about to make it through and the game freezes. Like. That's it. I had no choice but to turn it off. I'm losing my mind.

fyi I like the game and this is kind of funny to me. But at the same time I'm about to lose it. God. Absolutely ridiculous. Slig Barracks is genuinely the level from hell. Escape was annoying (imo), the final part of the Yards was absurdly difficult, but I truly cannot stand Slig Barracks. It looks very cool at least.