Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

09-13-2019, 04:57 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)
Your "Silent Hill"

Inspired by an old thread: http://www.oddworldforums.net/showth...ht=silent+hill

The idea is the same as in the old thread. Describe a setting that derives from your desires, shames, hatreds and fears that is designed to drive you insane. A haunted-house of your own psychology.

I'm working on mine, but it's a bit long and only halfway finished. I'll post it when it's ready. If anyone else has a faster draw than that, feel free to go for it.

There's no specific requirements for what your description should contain, but a few traditional elements are:

1) Monsters of whatever kind does it for you.

2) A "Pyramid Head", a kind of monster among monsters.

3) Generally, it will be an isolated area, difficult to leave.

Enjoy a trip into the horrific and grotesque.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

09-13-2019, 05:23 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

My idea is a dystopian future where your game ownership rights vanish in favour of DRM exploitation. Prices of games go up with no real game scope justification, in forms of low effort DLCs, season packs, paying monthly for online multiplayer (!) etc..

In this world, many games are hosted exclusively on cloud computers, and you can't play older games because those servers shut down over time and so effectively disappear off the face of the planet with no possibility of revival.

Games are having content cut prior to release to be packed as a Preorder bonus, so people have to buy games blindly, not knowing if the game turns out to be good or not. Review embargos on rational critics happening to further mislead people about an upcoming games' quality.

Having all the money upfront, the developers/publishers don't feel the obligation to fully finish/polish up the game, and what the consumers end up getting could be basically described as a Beta version (or e.g. a subpar PC port), that will stay this way until they shut it down.

Being slowly acquiantanced with the process, the players became zombies (not literally of course, as that wouldn't be half as scary, in my opinion) left with no other option than to submit to the evils of the era.

The protagonist wanders through various servers and forums and tries to alarm people of the ongoing problem, having some hope in the future of the industry, but the undead respond uncontrollably with:
[rolls out his eyes and tries to imitate a zombie voice] "I caaaaaaaan't seeee the isssueeeee, why do you caaaaare sooo muchh. It's noooooot a biig deaaaaaaaal".

Later he finds a group of people who are yet not touched by the disease and they form some sort of resistance, but they all die out quickly, outnumbered by thoughtless shells of people giving money to bad companies.

Last edited by Varrok; 09-13-2019 at 05:44 AM..
09-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

My Silent Hill would be called Nomosa Springs.

It would be a small city, large enough to get lost in, but not so large that you wouldn’t be able to get out eventually. It would be located in the middle of several farmlands, a few highways out, none of which are well-maintained anymore. Bear with me or take it in doses, because this is quite a long read.

The way I choose to describe this is in sections. I recommend going through them one at a time, because it doesn't make much sense out of order, since various aspects overlap.

Because each section is quite long on its own, I have chosen not to put them all in the same post, but put links to Pastebin, such that you can read them one at a time.

Downtown:

The construction site:

The suburbs:

The factory:

The fields:

The police station:

The library:

The zoo:

The freshwater spring:

This is my Silent Hill. Originally, there would be a school as well, but I decided it wasn’t promising enough. If there’s any interest in it, I might make an additional section on it, but we’ll keep it at this for now. If nobody is, well, this has been an interesting exercise in imagination.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

09-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Xorlidyr
Spark Stunk

: Mar 2016
: Munich, Germany
: 395
Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)

It would not be a haunted house because I have a very self-embracing psychology. But it would definitely be full of thicc musky Pyramid Heads twerking. And a lot of tentacles.

And just like in all of my nightdreams, I will have full power over the reality, of course.

Last edited by Xorlidyr; 09-15-2019 at 09:05 AM..
09-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Vexen
Thudslug

: Jul 2015
: California
: 155
Vexen  (373)Vexen  (373)Vexen  (373)Vexen  (373)

ok deluded tranner
09-16-2019, 12:23 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

:
But it would definitely be full of thicc musky Pyramid Heads twerking. And a lot of tentacles.
Jesus fucking Christ, that's terrifying.
09-17-2019, 03:33 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

My personal raccoon city is one in which every person has a profile picture of jc denton

It will be called "DARKNESS FALLS" and because of how much of a damaged individual I am, it will be filled with autistic monsters who wander the streets, which are very foggy, and covered, in fog. You look for me, you try to find me, and you search for me, and you look for me, but you can't find me.
Upon returning to central point my body becomes an aspect of the town and I can float around, using the power of artificial subliminal tactics, also known as versatile verbs, to ensure the birth of the tismic God fails. I split my soul. I feed my soul to myself, and become a little girl. My father is disappointed.
But in any case, he took me back there when I was 7 so that I could appreciate why I have a cone shaped face.
I tell him not to worry, I say I'm joking, and that in all seriousness, my copy of Silent Hill is sitting on the shelf next to 2 and 3, which is where it should be.