03-19-2019, 04:46 PM
burgrr
Chippunk

: Jul 2016
: Missouri
: 26
burgrr  (45)

:
Yeah how dare we not praise everything into high heavens? Shame on us. Constructive criticism is for traitors and commies.
God, you're insufferable. Being incessantly hostile and combatative towards complete strangers on the internet is not a substitute for a personality. I've seen you complaining about and insulting pretty much everything, from minorities, to Oddworld, to people you've just met.

Last edited by burgrr; 03-19-2019 at 11:26 PM..
03-20-2019, 12:56 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

:
i love the train cutscene. sligs look cool with upgraded flight suits so it's actually believable that they might be able to keep up with a train in comparison to their previous flight suit designs which was basically a propeller stuck to what sounded like a two-stroke engine. now they seem like they can actually fly fast at long distances, rather than just being nimble at short distances. also, guns are cool, maybe a little 'overstated' for their size but i'm not complaining. like STM said, it reminds me of the vickers machine guns they used in aerial combat during the first world war.

i'll admit, i also found the part with Toby yelling "FASTEERR" sort of out of place, but at the same time i was instantly reminded of stereotypical Oddworld humour. it's like how they're powering a train with bottles of soulstorm brew, i just wrote it off as more Oddworld quirkiness or video game logic like a lot of you probably did too. yeah, AO and AE were darker than, say, MO, but that doesn't mean to say there was absolutely no 'silly' humour in those games. i think we just forget some things or choose to ignore them. for example, vice president Aslik. ass-lick. that's a pretty dumb name and it's not exactly realistic, yet no one seems to complain about it.

and don't forget Dripik being so dumb he forgets his own name, having to use farts while mimicking native muds because using flatulence as part of a native password is totally normal, possessing your own farts (how the fuck does that even work?) etc. there never has been an Oddworld game that's been completely serious, and their humour has always been a little quirky and 'odd', but i think at this stage that's part of their signature. SW was probably the game with the most serious overall tone.

all in all i fucking love the cutscene. train looks like a thundering juggernaut, sligs look like they just joined up with the SAS, the way the mudokons look and move really pleases me and I LOVE ALF'S HAT

tbh i've never been that crazy about the Toby character, but Alf is fucking great. much love for Alf. he's an old workhorse.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: hang on a second, are you dicks really complaining about how his fucking brows overlap his hat? fucking jesus.

1) it's a computer game. if you want that level of fucking high definition realism, watch a movie. they contain real life actors with real life facial expressions. you'll be amazed.

2) how picky do you want to be? i didn't even notice that one second of cutscene where his eyelids happened to move over the bottom of his hat. i mean, did you watch the cutscene one frame at a fucking time or something? or have you just been replaying the video over and over again since they first uploaded it to youtube? seriously, talk about petty.

3) this is just personal opinion, but he's wearing his hat at an angle near the back of his head and his eyebrows are pretty deep. by that i mean that his eyebrows stick out more than normal. the fact they stick out of his face more than normal would make it plausible that they might hide the bottom of his hat while he was pulling an extremely surprised expression. you people have already said how his eyes seemed to open wider than natural, makes sense to me that his big fat eyebrows might hide part of his hat while he made that expression. fuck me.

4) grow up. i've already typed too much shit in response to this. oddworld fans are the fucking worst. just enjoy the cutscene you insufferable fucking turds.

I fucking love you never ever ever change.

03-20-2019, 01:07 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

:
says the guy who never, ever seems to have anything good to say about the newer oddworld games. how many fucking arguments have you started with OWI members here on the forums because you think you know better than the game designers? have you ever tried shutting the fuck up or making criticism that actually is constructive and not just thinly veiled chances to ridicule and micromanage their progress?

nah, of course not. because you know what's best for OWI. you know everything.

and how the fuck am i praising it into the heavens? i just pointed out a bunch of faults with this cutscene and the previous oddworld games did i not? are you fucking retarded or just looking for an argument?

you're still the same dumb cunt as when i first fucking joined. at least you're reliable in that regard.
Given how long you 'know' me, you should know I've said plenty of good stuff about OWI and their games over the years. I have nothing but respect for Lorne, OWI and everyone working on these projects, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna call out bad decisions when I see them.

Like I told OWI_Pete in Discord yesterday, with all respect in the world; there's enough praise floating around in the fan base. Open any random social media platform and you'll be showered in praise for the new cutscene and visuals and all that stuff. Is praise fun? Sure. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. But it's not useful to make anything better. Constructive feedback is what you need to not make the same mistake twice and to learn from it. From that point they are either already aware of that observation, in which case it's a moot point, or they're not aware of it and they can choose what to do with it. But then at least it's out there and I've said my thing.

I do not believe in ignoring mistakes when I see them, be that in a creative process or in a business fashion. And when I see OWI make the same mistakes multiple times that irks me, because it means they haven't learned from past experiences (many of which were pointed out my many more people than just me). So if they make a mistake once, that's fine. But if then people tell them about it and they make that same mistake again, then it's fair for criticism to become a little more harsh. If people want to see that as 'toxic' or a 'personal attack' that is on them, not on me, because I've rarely made my criticisms personal. Certainly not against the current development team. The only person I've remotely attacked personally was Steward Gilray and even that was hardly an insult. I just called him a sour puss.

:
God, you're insufferable. Being incessantly hostile and combatative towards complete strangers on the internet is not a substitute for a personality. I've seen you complaining about and insulting pretty much everything, from minorities, to Oddworld, to people you've just met.
You seem to know a lot about me for someone I didn't even know existed until yesterday. Just FYI, not agreeing with your opinion doesn't make me hostile or insulting. Having a vocal opinion, again, doesn't mean I'm out to insult anyone. It just means I don't necessarily agree with your point of view. If you want to take what I say as a personal insult that's on you, not on me.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-20-2019, 02:20 AM
DrewCameron
Stunk

: Apr 2012
: Scotland
: 41
DrewCameron  (47)

Toby saying faster needs work ; otherwise - great! I like that theyve muted the colour pallette and gone easier on the bloom and such from NNT which was a garish hot mess at times.

HOW I THINK THIS FITS INTO THE GAME STORY:

I strongly expect this is part of the intro cutscene. Alf and Toby are making their *own* escape run on the train - note that they both wear outfits that suggest their normal job involves running the train. I imagine they are making their own escape from wherever, hijacking the train.

Next, I imagine they end up at Necrum Mines (shown) by 'accident' (perhaps they didnt know where they were going with the train), and its there that they meet & interact with Abe.

This cutscene clearly involves them making their own escape. Abe is nowhere to be seen.

I imagine that this is used to kick off the game with a bang / exciting scene.

They use each others names a lot - Toby, Alf. I feel that is because this is the cut scene where the two characters are introduced, so we can learn their names.

All looks much better than NNT and hey, its new.
03-20-2019, 02:21 AM
DrewCameron
Stunk

: Apr 2012
: Scotland
: 41
DrewCameron  (47)

P.S: I still hate the lens dirt and will be modding it out at the first opportunity. Its irritating, dates and immersion breaking.
03-20-2019, 02:59 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

:
Next, I imagine they end up at Necrum Mines (shown) by 'accident' (perhaps they didnt know where they were going with the train), and its there that they meet & interact with Abe.
The building shown in the cutscene is the SoulStorm Brewery, not Necrum Mines. So if the plot follows roughly the same path as Exoddus that means they are probably coming from Comet (FeeCo) Depot. Abe rescued Alf from Rupture Farms, so they'd arguably already be together from the start and get separated later. Probably while stealing a train from Comet to get to the Brewery that Abe somehow misses (unless Abe is in the back of the train somewhere). Then again, they do seem surprised when they see the Brewery so ending up there probably wasn't planned.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

03-20-2019, 05:08 AM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

: Aug 2016
: corowa
: 101
SlashClaw  (108)SlashClaw  (108)

i love those flying minigun sligs they look so cool
03-20-2019, 05:16 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

I don't see any problem with Havoc pointing out errors. It literally does not matter if the errors are important or if they bother you or not, it's irrelevant. Pointing them out is merely showing that they exist, and it might make for a better end product.
I don't think anybody is really that arsed about the fact that Toby's eye overlaps his hat, it's not like anybody is personally insulted, but the point is that it doesn't matter because it's an error that is obviously best pointed out than ignored.

As for his stretchy eyes, that's a bit more of a subjective issue. I mean, I can make an argument as to why this style of "humor" can be detrimental in your gritty and realistic game and why you really shouldn't have it, but ultimately what keeps a player immersed is different for everyone so I can't really call it an objective flaw, besides the fact that it's inconsistent for these characters to move in this way and it can be incredibly jarring.

So everyone, stop jumping down Havoc's throat for criticising something that you like. If you really think he's wrong, then counter it, but I know better than anyone how fucking irritating it is when you're trying to break something down and discuss something, but people can't look past the fact that you'd even dare to criticise it. Even if he has a shitty attitude, which I can't see personally, it's irrelevant . Now in this thread about Soulstorm we've got people making their first posts talking about how much they hate Havoc and all the drama they get up to in the discord. Fuck off being such babies.

Also the lens dirt is something that I just don't understand.

Last edited by Nepsotic; 03-20-2019 at 06:52 AM..
03-20-2019, 06:05 AM
Laser
Outlaw Sniper

: Nov 2006
: Devon
: 1,686
Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)

I have misgivings, Havoc has echoed a lot of them, but I am still hyped!

03-20-2019, 07:00 AM
Yokai
Sniper Wasp

: Mar 2017
: Canada
: 263
Yokai  (174)Yokai  (174)

:

Lens dirt is the worse! Whenever I notice it, my astigmatism makes my eyes wanna die. I get that Lanning likely wants the game to feel something like a movie, but dirty camera lens does NOT belong in an animation, 3D or 2D!

Griping aside, I am stoked for Soulstorm...even if it got pushed back another year (WHY!?!?!). It feels dark with a slight humorous undertone like Oddysee, and I really hope that this cinematic hints at similar or better quality in the game itself.
03-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

A dirty camera lens can work perfectly fine in an animation, the issue is that it remains in the same spot across multiple scenes, and results in it looking like a PNG that's layered over the top of everything because it doesn't change whatsoever.

03-20-2019, 02:42 PM
burgrr
Chippunk

burgrr  (45)

:
I don't see any problem with Havoc pointing out errors. It literally does not matter if the errors are important or if they bother you or not, it's irrelevant. Pointing them out is merely showing that they exist, and it might make for a better end product.
I don't think anybody is really that arsed about the fact that Toby's eye overlaps his hat, it's not like anybody is personally insulted, but the point is that it doesn't matter because it's an error that is obviously best pointed out than ignored.

As for his stretchy eyes, that's a bit more of a subjective issue. I mean, I can make an argument as to why this style of "humor" can be detrimental in your gritty and realistic game and why you really shouldn't have it, but ultimately what keeps a player immersed is different for everyone so I can't really call it an objective flaw, besides the fact that it's inconsistent for these characters to move in this way and it can be incredibly jarring.

So everyone, stop jumping down Havoc's throat for criticising something that you like. If you really think he's wrong, then counter it, but I know better than anyone how fucking irritating it is when you're trying to break something down and discuss something, but people can't look past the fact that you'd even dare to criticize it. Even if he has a shitty attitude, which I can't see personally, it's irrelevant . Now in this thread about Soulstorm we've got people making their first posts talking about how much they hate Havoc and all the drama they get up to in the discord. Fuck off being such babies.

Really, though, it seems a bit hypocritical that he can criticize non-issues with an entire PR team but when I criticize a real issue with him, that's when you stop being fine with it. If he can sling shit at the PR team then I get to sling shit at him, too. It's only fair, considering he's apparently nothing but rays of sunshine.

Last edited by burgrr; 03-20-2019 at 03:39 PM..
03-20-2019, 02:55 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

I like the trailer. I like that shaman model even more.
03-20-2019, 03:01 PM
burgrr
Chippunk

burgrr  (45)

:
I like the trailer. I like that shaman model even more.
The feathers are his hair, right? It's cool to see a mud that has it all grown out instead of trimmed and tied up.
03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

I'm not sure, honestly. I think they originally wanted Abe's/Mudokon's hair to be feathers in the old games, but couldn't do it due to tech constraints.

Buuuut this could might as well be a part of the mask.
03-21-2019, 01:16 AM
Yokai
Sniper Wasp

Yokai  (174)Yokai  (174)
:
I'm not sure, honestly. I think they originally wanted Abe's/Mudokon's hair to be feathers in the old games, but couldn't do it due to tech constraints.

Buuuut this could might as well be a part of the mask.
I thought it was genuinely hair? Remember the picture of Abe with long, black hair?

Last edited by Yokai; 03-21-2019 at 01:19 AM..
03-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

:
Really, though, it seems a bit hypocritical that he can criticize non-issues with an entire PR team but when I criticize a real issue with him, that's when you stop being fine with it. If he can sling shit at the PR team then I get to sling shit at him, too. It's only fair, considering he's apparently nothing but rays of sunshine.
I don't consider them non-issues or I wouldn't bring them up. And your main issue with me seems to be that I don't agree with your opinions on... something? I haven't insulted you a single time yet somehow you act as if I dug up dead dog and threw them in a trash compactor while laughing maniacally.

Seriously, I'm not entirely sure how the focus of your anger is aimed at me while a completely different person was doing the actual insulting.

03-21-2019, 03:45 AM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2005
: Sydney, Australia
: 642
kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

:
I thought it was genuinely hair? Remember the picture of Abe with long, black hair?

:
It’s really technological resolution and budget, right? So when we did New ‘n’ Tasty, we didn’t really have the budget to go in and re-change all the databases, so we had the ability to take them up to a certain level where it made sense. So if you look at the cover of New ‘n’ Tasty, Abe’s ponytail was still like: “What is that? Kind of like a dirty sock.”

But Abe was always imagined as—it was talked about, you know, [Munch’s Oddysee] had Labor Eggs—[Mudokons] were descended from birds. We descended from monkeys, right; they descended from birds, so they still hatch. [The pony tail is made up of] feathers. It was always intended to be feathers because … feathers were tough. I mean we could have had a feather object instead, but it just ended up being like a limp sock and we stayed with it.
Source: https://magogonthemarch.com/transcri...ing-interview/

EDIT: Also, the trailer was cool.

03-21-2019, 05:22 AM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: Oddworld
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

:
it got pushed back another year (WHY!?!?!)
because it's not finished yet.
03-21-2019, 05:24 AM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: Oddworld
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

:
Just... how? Is he blind?
Oh yeah, that's why I don't come on OWF.
03-21-2019, 07:21 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

:
What? Because multiple people are saying the lens effects are bad? That comment might be blunt but it wasn't meant as a joke or an insult or anything. I'm genuinely wondering if Lorne, who has a history in special effects of all things, or anyone else who worked on that cutscene do not see how intrusive and bad looking those lens effects actually are.

03-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
To me the majority of us have been pretty constructive and supportive, I don't get why you'd take one line of hyperbole and act as if we're all nothing but assholes.
:
Ohh, so you're criticising the real issues. And I guess you're not gonna define what counts as a "real" issue other than something you approve of.

Seriously, you've joined the forum to come into this thread and dump on Havoc for completely unrelated reasons. To you, he's "slinging shit at the PR team" and what? That gives you license to spew your misdirected vitriol all over the thread, does it?

Fucking hell, the hypocrisy astounds me.

03-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Okay, that's enough. Everyone can heap as much praise or shit on the trailer as they like. Stop heaping it on each other.

03-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

I mean it's a preference Havoc. I don't like it but Lorne does. He said so much in the Discord Q&A. So it ain't gonna change unless Lorne changes his mind.
03-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

Eh, I guess there's no accounting for taste

03-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

I mean if he likes it he should keep it, but that doesn't mean it's good.

03-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Yokai
Sniper Wasp

Yokai  (174)Yokai  (174)
Sad

:
because it's not finished yet.
I know, and want the game finished when it's completely ready so we won't get another Munch's Oddysee (so MUCH wasted potential ) no matter how long it takes. That doesn't make the wait any less painful, however.

Last edited by Yokai; 03-21-2019 at 12:43 PM..
03-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Nemin
Thudslug

: Apr 2011
: Hungary
: 171
Nemin  (219)Nemin  (219)Nemin  (219)

https://oddwords.hu/gdc

Wrote about the teaser on my site. TL;DR: It's nice, but I'm not blown away.

https://oddwords.hu - My essays and other Oddworld-related content.

03-22-2019, 04:50 AM
RoyalFreshness44
Zappfly

: Dec 2017
: Australia
: 8
RoyalFreshness44  (10)

I get that you are all accustomed to seeing better quality now, but at least have some respect that the Oddworld team is doing this out of their own pockets (From what i remember?) It's keeping my inner child alive, and me happy. Personally, i did notice Toby's Eyes acting strange but then i thought... "Hey, this is oddworld. Do i really need to take it THAT seriously?" I understand if the game has to be delayed even, it's perfectly reasonable, sure i was a bit upset. But, i got over that. This is worth waiting for in my opinion. It's actually the Oddworld i have dreamed about, and now we are at a time in our lives we're we have the Technology. If i talk about Oddworld to people, most responses are "Never heard of it." and that's not good... For now, i'd rather just focus on being humble and waiting. You could even say i am being optimistic. I just want Oddworld in it's full glory 100%
03-22-2019, 05:30 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
but at least have some respect that the Oddworld team is doing this out of their own pockets
You'd rather it be... crowdfunded??
:
Personally, i did notice Toby's Eyes acting strange but then i thought... "Hey, this is oddworld. Do i really need to take it THAT seriously?"
I really don't think anybody's taking it that seriously beyond making a few forum posts.