06-04-2017, 03:25 AM
Guineapiglet
Stingbee

: Apr 2016
: In a cave nearby
: 83
Guineapiglet  (198)Guineapiglet  (198)
Little nightmares (possible spoilers?)

This article mentioned that Little Nightmares felt like Abe's Oddysee. I played the game yesterday (it's pretty short, took 2 hours). I liked it, but didn't really feel that it had the same atmosphere as Oddworld. It did however make me think of studio Ghibli's Spirited Away. I also noticed a possible Salad fingers reference.
Have you guys played it? Did you like it?
06-04-2017, 04:05 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

Well, to be fair, even NnT didn't feel like AO.
06-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Gunnr
Boombat Seeker

: In a desert, USA
: 608
Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)Gunnr  (419)

I do like it It is a little simular to AO in it being a side scroller/puzzle solver with a dark theme I guess. Far more like Outside and Limbo obviously. Though while enjoying the lighting and atmoshpere, I wondered if SoulStorm will look simular? With the limited lighting revealing more color in your surroundings. It would make with the mines and haunting feel of AE, and would go along with the gray reveal pics and clip we've seen so far.

And I too got that Studio Ghibli feel in this game(specifically Spirited Away in relation to the the reaccuring theme)
Hint: nom

Last edited by Gunnr; 06-05-2017 at 03:36 PM..
06-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Guineapiglet
Stingbee

Yeah! Really loved the visuals.
Talking about Spirited Away, I specifically thought of the movie character "faceless", when it was in his big black form. You know the running restaurant scenes in Little Nightmares? The big fat blobs chase you around corridors - it really reminded me of that. Those scenes were my favourite parts of the game btw.
If you're interested in the visuals, this rockpapershotgun's article talks about animations and was really interesting.
06-07-2017, 12:34 AM
Vanilla ✜
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2007
: England
: 507
Vanilla ✜  (153)Vanilla ✜  (153)

I loved the game, it's hard to describe but I liked how the game play was in a way free roam. I do have a few problems with it though but I have a feelings that's more down to a problem I have with Indie titles.
[SPOILERS AHEAD]
Once I saw that there where rats running around and those cute lil guys helping you, I instantly knew you would end up having to do something horrible to them because that's the only way Indie devs know how to make things "dark" which wound me up. There's also the ending, just when I thought I'd found an Indie game with an ending that might make sense, all...that happened and I felt a little betrayed.
[END SPOILER]

There's also an OWF Discord,
join here.

06-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Guineapiglet
Stingbee

Vanilla, yeah. I feel you.
I also guessed you'd eat a human at some point.. didn't think it'd be one of those little guys though! I also felt that after Inside I would've preferred an ending that ties more knots and explains things a bit. It's sort of an easy way out to leave things so ambiguous. But man for some reason I loved the scenes so much where you run away from the customers and they try to grab you, the animations were crazy good.