08-19-2019, 08:41 PM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

: Aug 2016
: corowa
: 101
SlashClaw  (108)SlashClaw  (108)
So here is a question that comes up now the Epic deal happened

Looking back on it why did we bother helping fund this game when in the end they just took the Epic Game store money, because as it stands as far as i am aware this means an end to things like Linux support and at least a yeah before anyone can get it on steam if we are lucky, i mean it feels like all these years of build up and hype though the ARG mean nothing now since it could have just all been a Gif of a glukkon dancing as Epic money get shovelled into a furnace at this point
08-20-2019, 04:49 AM
RoyalFreshness44
Zappfly

: Dec 2017
: Australia
: 8
RoyalFreshness44  (10)

I'd rather Oddworld live on. Then to have it die. Most of you properly knew that Oddworld Inhabitants has always had money trouble, wouldn't you rather see it live then to have it vanish just because of some deal? You'd throw away a game franchise just because of one deal?...
08-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

:
I'd rather Oddworld live on. Then to have it die. Most of you properly knew that Oddworld Inhabitants has always had money trouble, wouldn't you rather see it live then to have it vanish just because of some deal? You'd throw away a game franchise just because of one deal?...
I would totally rather see it vanish than see this soulless cash grab continue to milk the fans for all they're worth. Don't get me wrong, the fans are stupid and totally deserve it, but if you think that OWI ever needed its fans you are laughably mistaken. OW fans are a cash cow that's there for when whatever Lorne's vision of the day is fails, and he can go "nah guys the social media network thing was a joke, this time we really are gonna make games again, I promise! We just need a little bit of... support ����"

:
Looking back on it why did we bother helping fund this game when in the end they just took the Epic Game store money, because as it stands as far as i am aware this means an end to things like Linux support and at least a yeah before anyone can get it on steam if we are lucky, i mean it feels like all these years of build up and hype though the ARG mean nothing now since it could have just all been a Gif of a glukkon dancing as Epic money get shovelled into a furnace at this point
Hmm it's almost as if you shouldn't put all your faith in a guy whose literal only existence is to make money based on whatever way the wind is blowing at the time.

08-21-2019, 03:43 AM
Littleleeroy
Boombat

: Aug 2008
: Australia
: 227
Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)Littleleeroy  (334)

You never cease to disappoint, Nep...
08-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Michael
Bola Blast

: May 2010
: Birmingham, England
: 409
Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

To clarify, the console versions are unaffected and will release along side the PC version (which will be Epic Games Store exclusive now) in 2020. Lorne released a statement to fans on twitter:

:
I would like to address the entire Oddworld community (old and new). You have supported us and our artistic vision for years and we thank you.

Oddworld: Soulstorm will be coming to PC via the Epic Games store. The PC and console versions of the game will have a simultaneous release in 2020.

What I would like to do is provide you with the reasoning that went into bringing the PC version of Soulstorm to the Epic Games store as an exclusive because you deserve to know.

We've been financing Soulstorm 100% ourselves. Soulstorm is our most ambitious game ever and we are committed to creating a great game that meets the highest level of quality. But to create the version of Soulstorm we want, and you deserve, we needed additional financial assistance.

Ambition is important, and it pushes me even more to try to overachieve. What pushes me even more is my commitment to you: you deserve great games. As an indie publisher we must evaluate partnerships that will help us achieve our goals while protecting our vision for Soulstorm and the quintology. Epic supports our goal and commitment and is willing to help us achieve them by providing us with an advance on our PC sales, and we are incredibly grateful.

Thank you for reading.
I guess the only thing unaccounted for, are the hints we've had as to OWI looking into a physical release. Though, I guess these days, that probably wouldn't include PC anyway.
08-21-2019, 06:39 PM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

just because the consoles are unaffected doesn't mean we shouldn't be angry how long till Epics Chinese overlords declare that the Boneworks or Soulstorm Brew itself needs to be removed from the game for containing skeletons
08-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Michael
Bola Blast

Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

No of course, it's restrictive for PC players and must be frustrating, though the game will still be accessible. As a console gamer, what's the deal with Epic, why don't you guys like them?
08-22-2019, 05:41 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Short version:

Long version:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/No...8072844560561/
08-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Michael
Bola Blast

Hm, agreed they do not sound very good at all. Seems a strange move coming just a couple months after Lorne commenting how he was growing the business 'the old fashioned way' using entirely profits from previous sales without external commitments.

Though, devils advocate, if I remember right NNT had temporary exclusivity on Playstation, before coming to other platforms some weeks/months later.

I think essentially OWI are a small indie trying not just to compete on the indie scene, but compete directly with AAA companies - to eventually get back to the position of AAA themselves. Deals like the Epic one no doubt will help them do that much faster, and across fewer games, having a stronger portfolio as a result with better sales and even more to reinvest. But it's a trade off with fans' expectations, especially for a company that's built something of a reputation on the moral high ground, and historically bad experiences with such partnerships.
08-22-2019, 06:39 PM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

:
Hm, agreed they do not sound very good at all. Seems a strange move coming just a couple months after Lorne commenting how he was growing the business 'the old fashioned way' using entirely profits from previous sales without external commitments.

Though, devils advocate, if I remember right NNT had temporary exclusivity on Playstation, before coming to other platforms some weeks/months later.

I think essentially OWI are a small indie trying not just to compete on the indie scene, but compete directly with AAA companies - to eventually get back to the position of AAA themselves. Deals like the Epic one no doubt will help them do that much faster, and across fewer games, having a stronger portfolio as a result with better sales and even more to reinvest. But it's a trade off with fans' expectations, especially for a company that's built something of a reputation on the moral high ground, and historically bad experiences with such partnerships.
taken from the Wikipedia article

In January 2015, Oddworld announced that New 'n' Tasty! would be released on Steam on Windows, Mac and Linux platforms on February 25, followed by the PS3 and Xbox One launch in March.[72]

In February 2015, the specification for the PC, Mac and Linux versions were revealed.[73]

In January 2016, small publisher Limited Run Games announced a very limited, physical print run for New 'n' Tasty! on the PlayStation Vita limited to 2500 copies and later revealed a PlayStation 4 version limited to 5000 copies, that would see a simultaneous release on April 25.[74][75]

so in fact it came to PC first then went to console after that, however this is different the PC and Console releases coming out at different times is understandable after all a PS3 is not a PC, and it was released at the same time on both consoles and this is saying "unless you used this program to play our game you can't and the reason why is they gave us money" meanwhile steam which supported some very good ports of the early Oddworld games is left in the dust because once again Money
08-22-2019, 09:54 PM
JayDee
Global Moderator
Problem Sleuth

: Aug 2008
: AAAAAA
: 1,119
JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)JayDee  (1389)

:
just because the consoles are unaffected doesn't mean we shouldn't be angry how long till Epics Chinese overlords declare that the Boneworks or Soulstorm Brew itself needs to be removed from the game for containing skeletons
Who ever gets around to doing the next OWF Awards needs to bring back Most Unintentionally Funny Poster.

08-22-2019, 10:39 PM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

:
Who ever gets around to doing the next OWF Awards needs to bring back Most Unintentionally Funny Poster.
Chinese censorship of skeletons is pretty well known games like World of Warcraft are affected by it so what's stopping soulstorm?