Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

02-09-2019, 01:19 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)
OWF Blitz Chess Tournament - February 2019

Since it's been roughly a month since the OWF Chess Tournament ended, I figure it's time to get the Blitz tournament I've been talking about off the ground. So, without further ado:

OWF Blitz Tournament 2019

Welcome to the sign-up and updates thread for the OWF Blitz Chess Tournament starting in February of 2019!

Were you one of those that liked the last tournament, but felt that things moved a bit too slowly? Well, here's your chance to get back at everyone who made moves at a snail's pace, with the Blitz chess tournament of 2019! For the next couple of weeks, hopefully we'll be playing quick 10 minute games of chess left and right!

To begin with, let's go over the rules and tournament structure, which will be similar to the last tournament.

Rules and Structure

1. THE USE OF CHESS ENGINES IN PLAYING TOURNAMENT GAMES IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. This rule should be obvious, but it never hurts to state it.

2. All games must be played through Lichess.org. This is for simplicity's sake. I will also make a point to ask all contestants to supply me with their username for Lichess.org, for ease of communication.

3. This is a point based tournament. Points are distributed based on the outcome of a given game. A win in any individual game is worth 2 points to the victor. A draw is worth 1 point for each player. A loss is worth 0 points. The tournament winners will be decided by the total number of points after all players have played one another in two games, one as each color. Thus, if there are 4 participants, there would be a grand total of 12 games played.

4. The time controls for every game line up with Lichess.org's blitz time control. To be specific, this means 5 minutes of time, with NO increment after every move.

5. Every fortnight, on Friday, I will announce who will be playing who. Both players will play both colors twice, meaning four games in total. Over the course of two weeks, all the announced games must be played and a link to these games sent to me via PM or on Discord, preferably from both players, to avoid any misunderstanding of which games count where. I will also post links to the games from the preceding fortnight, along with some brief commentary.

6. Failure to play your games within the two week period provided will result in drawn games. No exceptions. Failure to do so a second time will result in disqualification from the tournament and all your earlier games played will retroactively be discredited for both players. No exceptions. I hope this does not prove necessary to enforce.

---

But what good is a tournament without some contestants? To enter, all you need to do is post below that you'd like to join, give me your Lichess username and I will add your name to the tournament roster below!

Tournament Roster
Forum Username - Lichess username
[Blair187] - [blair187]
[Phoetux] - [phoetux]
[goodguyplayer] - [goodguyplayer]
[Oddey] - [soda_can_man]
[Vexen] - []

The sign-up period will last until the 21st of February. The tournament will then commence on the 22nd, with the first listing of games to be published then.

May the best (and fastest) player win!

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

Last edited by Oddey; 02-12-2019 at 11:30 AM..
02-09-2019, 02:19 AM
Blair187
Zappfly

: Oct 2017
: Wiltshire england
: 4
Blair187  (23)

Count me in

Blair187 on both
02-09-2019, 02:26 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

I'm coming back to suck again.

name's phoetux

02-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Vexen
Thudslug

: Jul 2015
: California
: 155
Vexen  (373)Vexen  (373)Vexen  (373)Vexen  (373)

You see, I would play, but Varrok keeps bullying me by calling me an "okay retard".
02-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Goodguyplayer
Chippunk

: Jan 2017
: earth
: 34
Goodguyplayer  (32)

I suppose I could participate...
goodguyplayer || goodguyplayer

02-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

22nd of February Round Robin

Blair187 vs. Goodguyplayer!

Vexen vs. Oddey!

Phoetux vs. Varrok!

As always, I am allocating a maximum of a fortnight to play these games. And again, should games fail to be played within this time, the match will be called a draw. Remember to PM me a link to the match on Lichess or put it on Discord when you are finished with your four Blitz games, time control 5+0, one as each color, regardless of whether you won or lost them!

---

The very best of luck to everyone involved! Hopefully your wits are quick and sharp; Blitz games demand both! If anyone has any interesting alternatives to having a player sitting out each round, please let me know! And in the meantime, prepare your e4's and d4's, your O-O-O's and your O-O's, your king's gambits and your queen's gambits, your Danish, your French, your Sicilian, your Spanish, your Italian and every other nationality's opening you care to think of!

Edit: Varrok has graciously "agreed" to play along in the tournament, which is just as well, since he participated last time anyway.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

Last edited by Oddey; 02-21-2019 at 11:55 AM..
03-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

8th of March Round Robin

Blair187 vs. Oddey!

Vexen vs. Phoetux!

Goodguyplayer vs. Varrok!

As always, I am allocating a maximum of a fortnight to play these games. And again, should games fail to be played within this time, the match will be called a draw. Remember to PM me a link to the match on Lichess or put it on Discord when you are finished with your four Blitz games, time control 5+0, one as each color, regardless of whether you won or lost them!

---

Last Round Robin's Games:

Oddey vs Vexen 8-0
1 2 3 4
A string of queen kills follow in each of these, with victory following shortly thereafter in each.

Goodguyplayer vs Blair187 5-3
1 2 3 4
Goodguyplayer and Blair play a sequence of games revolving around the shorter time limit, many of which end in close time-outs, with the final game turning out to be a draw as a result of lack of pieces!

Phoetux vs Varrok 3-5
1 2 3
Phoetux vs Varrok ends with game 4 being called a draw. In the other games, we see customary Phoetux knight sacrifices that remain as entertaining as ever but also a win from Phoetux, as Varrok runs into time trouble trying to push for a win.
---

Keep feeding me those chess games and please, just for me, read the rules before entering next time.

:

Last edited by Oddey; 03-08-2019 at 12:12 PM..
03-23-2019, 12:05 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

22nd of March Round Robin (I know, I'm late)

Phoetux vs. Oddey!

Vexen vs. Goodguyplayer!

Blair187 vs. Varrok!

---

Oddey vs Blair187 8-0
1 2 3 4
After some close calls where it seems Blair can break through but then runs into time trouble, this ends up being four wins for me.

Goodguyplayer vs Varrok 0-8
1 2 3 4
Very precise play from Varrok nets him four wins this round!

Phoetux vs Vexen (Nepsotic, really) 4-4
1 2 3
Vexen was too busy to play his games, so Nepsotic played three instead, with one ending in a loss, victory and then a stalemate! Coincidentally, the exact same score that Vexen would have gotten for drawing all four games. As always, exciting play from Phoetux.

:

03-23-2019, 08:34 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

:
[SIZE="4"]As always, exciting play from Phoetux.
Cheers mate

04-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Unfortunately, a total lack of activity from Vexen has disqualified him from tournament play. Games scheduled to be played against Vexen are now considered forfeited, but I encourage you to play them with Nepsotic, if Vexen is still impossible to reach.

19th of April Round Robin

Varrok vs. Oddey!

Phoetux vs. Goodguyplayer!

Blair187 vs. Vexen!

---

Oddey vs Phoetux 8-0
1 2 3 4
Phoetux goes through several very painful games, but does cause enough problems to make me work for my victory.

Blair187 vs Varrok 3-5
1 2 3 4
A series of really nice games, with some creative and interesting play from both sides. We see an unfortunate timeout for Blair in a winning position in the first game and an incredible timeout for Blair in a totally lost position in the third game!

Goodguyplayer vs Vexen 4-4

The games between Goodguyplayer and Vexen are considered a forfeit. For the purposes of the final standing, I will not be counting Vexen's points or games played against Vexen.

:

Last edited by Oddey; 04-20-2019 at 01:25 AM..
05-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

3rd of May Round Robin

Goodguyplayer vs. Oddey!

Phoetux vs. Blair187!

Varrok vs. Vexen!

---

Oddey vs Varrok 4-4

Neither of us played our games, so these are effectively drawn, unless Varrok and I are permitted to return to them.

Goodguyplayer vs Phoetux 2-6
1 2 3 4
Phoetux starts out somewhat slow, but quickly shows Goodguyplayer what's what and causes enough problems for Goodguyplayer to finish with three wins against one. Impressive display, Phoetux!

Blair187 vs Vexen 4-4
Drawn by default.

:

05-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

:
Impressive display, Phoetux!.

Using this gif just because this movie is great and one of my classic favorites.
My cheers to GGP for doing a good play!