05-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Howoriginal
Chippunk

: Feb 2007
: NJ
: 27
Howoriginal  (10)

:
Could I do something with the menu buttons?
i couls help with that i could get the buttons from a oddworld game and edit them how that sounds
05-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Arxryl
Outlaw Sniper

: Oct 2006
: You wouldn't believe me.
: 1,559
Arxryl  (10)

I'd like to give a whirl at Main Sprites. And if you need to see my works, I have a whole bunch of them in my ML:SS style section.

Our fate is sealed only when we accept it. -~Arxryl~-

05-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Howoriginal
Chippunk

: Feb 2007
: NJ
: 27
Howoriginal  (10)

would my dad be able to help he wants to but i don't know what hes going to be
05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

: Jan 2005
: Lost in Space
: 818
Gretin  (167)Gretin  (167)

I've seen your sprites, Arxryl, and they're definately acceptable. I see your spriting skills aren't resticted to any one style too, which is good because we'll need everyone to be able to match style or it will look horrible

Sam1 and Jordon_Boi, I really need to see an example first. It's pretty unlikely that I'll have to turn you down, but I would like to see an example of what you want to do. (In English; if you want to help with making buttons, show me buttons you can make )

Munch's Master, I remember your old story Freedom Fighters, so that's accepted, but is there any chance of seeing your spriting? Like I said above, it's unlikely I'll have to turn you down, but I'd still like to see.

And in answer to Sam1's last post, if anyone wants to help, I really need to know what you want to help with and I need an example of what you can do.

But I must say, you lot are very trusting aren't you? Here you are letting me dictate what the terms for joining are and such, when you don't even know what I'm capable of! So to rectify that, I'm going to be working on a little demo (using sprites of any game I can find - I don't have any decent Oddworld sprites) to show you all what I can do.

Oh, and just a small note; the plan for music has been changed. I won't be using mp3 files at all now, I'll be using module files, which are easier to use for dynamic music and they're easier to loop properly.

05-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

: Jan 2006
: England
: 4,829
Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)

I'm getting my photoshop disk out now.
05-06-2007, 01:32 AM
E'l Scrabino
Sewer Sleg

: May 2006
: Melbourne, Australia.
: 726
E'l Scrabino  (94)

I'd also like to help with buttons and objext and stuff, but there's 2 people working on that. Would i still be able to help?

05-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)Jordan  (1975)

I did some example buttons. I'm gonna PM you now Gretin.
05-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

Please Gretin, don't remind me of that story. Not only do I see looking back that my writing then was terrible compared to now, but I still want to finish it one day, despite not having worked on it in over a year.

And as for samples of my sprites, that could be tricky. They are totally custom-made, and as such are rather simple and have a cel-shaded look to them. I'll try and stick them up on a photobucket link.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

05-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

Haha, I know the feeling. I'm actually "remastering" my old story now, because it never got finished but when I look back at it, it looks really really bad But that story's good enough to be acceptable (e.g. it uses correct grammer and has some sort of an interesting plot ). If I have to do a test to see which ones stay on as the main writers it will probably be on how well you all can cooperate, though. It's no use having a couple of story writers who all have their own ideas and don't want to accept anyone else's! (though that's a bit to the extreme)

:
I'd also like to help with buttons and objext and stuff, but there's 2 people working on that. Would i still be able to help?
I'm not sure if I've made it clear, so I'll repeat: At the moment no limits are in place to how many people apply to do something. IF I get too many in one spot (such as story writing), I'll have to do a test to narrow it down, but some spots won't need to be limited like that. But they'll only be narrowed down once all applications have been accepted or declined.
You do need to show me a sample of your work, though, just so I know you're capable of what you say you want to do

05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
mitsur
Corporate Espionage

: May 2001
: ಠ_ಠ
: 2,060
mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)

Update on this, Gretin?

Wrex.

05-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

Hey, it's only been 2 days! And I haven't posted because a) there hasn't been a heck of a lot to post about and b) my post was the last one.

My progress during weekdays will be somewhat slower than on weekends, due to the fact that I'm working full-time (8:30 to 5:00) Monday to Friday, plus I have part-time study and then there's my personal interests, but don't worry, the game is being worked on.

And just so you know I haven't been doing absolutely nothing, here's a run-down of what features you can expect from the demo now that I have it all set-out:

Sprites will be taken from the Megaman Zero series. Mainly because sprites for it are readily available and mostly contain what I want for the demo (of course, when we start work on the real project it will have custom sprites, but as I said; I'm no spriter so I need something to work with ).
I'll be setting it up so you have movement like the Abe games, however, so that will mean walking and running, jumping, and running jumps, rolling, and running rolls (except that "rolling" will probably just use Zero's dashing sprite - or I may just spin a certain sprite around, which would you people prefer? ). I'll also be setting up ledges to hoist up to (there are sprites that will suit this perfectly) and I intend to put in shadows too, though if they take too long I may take them out for this demo.

Sounds will probably just be from wherever I can get them, and the music will be a custom track to show off what the dynamic music will be like The track is already nearly done, so that's some progress that's not simply planning (though planning is important too! ). I'm also intending to put in doors which will take you between background and foreground, and I'll put in switches to open and close these too.

And I think that leaves me with enemies and mines as the last things I'm planning to put in this demo.

So yeah, if you guys are patient, there's no reason I can't show you all of this when I give you the demo, but if you'd rather it be done sooner I can trim off certain features - it's really up to you.
I'll be leaving applications open until the demo is released.

Gretin out.

()

05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

It sounds like you've been pretty busy. Megaman sprites are great for a demo version, really easy to use. I like the feature of the background and foreground doors! So, will this whole game be set in OWFs?
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

Souns like you've already made progress, which is great considering how we've been planning this less than a week. looking forward to the demo.
Question- are you still going to do the rescuing Mudokons/Members and Oddworld 'spells', or does Game Maker not have those capabilities?

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

05-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

:
So, will this whole game be set in OWFs?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but if you mean will everything take place inside the fictional OWF building or whatever we decide to make it be (it could even be a city! XD), that depends on how the story goes really. I'd like to have a variety of places so it's true to the Abe games, but we'll see.

:
Question- are you still going to do the rescuing Mudokons/Members and Oddworld 'spells', or does Game Maker not have those capabilities?
Game Maker actually has a lot more capability than what it is given credit for, if you know how But to answer your question, yes, I'm hoping that the rescuing (or killing XD) of mudokons/members will be a core part of it (again, true to the original Abe games). The spells shouldn't be too tricky either, so there's not really any reason I can think of not to have them. But I'll see what you story writers come up with story-wise (once we decide on who the team will be) before we decide on the main game play features.

Oh, and...
:
Sounds like you've already made progress, which is great considering how we've been planning this less than a week.
Well, it is only for the demo And it's mainly just planning... Though, I wonder, do any of you happen to have a gif animating program? Because I want to import the sprites into Game Maker as animated gifs, so I don't have to cut out each sprite from the sheet and align it and make sure it's the right size and everything, it's so much easier if the sprites are already put into animated gifs which are pre-aligned and have all the sprites in the right order and everything. I can do it myself, but if anyone has such software, it'll make the demo somewhat quicker if someone else could prepare the sprites for me [/bribe]

Anyway, as I was going to type before I sidetracked myself, this is only really a demo to show what I can do, but I'm hoping to make the engine flexible enough that once we start on the real thing I can just trade sprites and alter a few constant values (such as the speed you move at and such, just because our sprites might be different sizes and whatnot) and we'll have our engine. I'm hoping.

05-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

You could always use Photoshop for animations.
05-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

I have software for animating it, I was just asking if anyone wants to help with it Unless of course that was an offer to help
If anyone does want to help, the main thing I'll need to start with is animations of the following actions from this page:

Idle animation
Running animation
Jumping animation
Entering a door animation
Dashing (there are four frames that actually have the dash, and those are the only ones I want animated )
Walking animation

And that's probably about it. There's a couple of others, but I'm just gonna get them myself So if anyone wants to help get this demo going sooner, those are the animations, in the order you'll see them scrolling down the sheets. You'll have to scroll down quite a bit to get to the first one, though, because the first animations are all attacking ones and I won't be using them Thanks!

05-11-2007, 12:47 AM
E'l Scrabino
Sewer Sleg

E'l Scrabino  (94)

I'll work on that, unless someone else wants to... I found out a week ago that Flash Pro 8 saves in .GIF's

But uhhhh... That's a BIG sprite-sheet, and i can't find what you want animated... D'you think you could outline the sprites for me please?

Last edited by E'l Scrabino; 05-11-2007 at 12:53 AM..
05-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

Heh, I thought that might be a problem. I'll have to save the sprite sheet and then host it somewhere with the sprites I need

EDIT:

Ok, here it is. It looks extremely messy and unprofessional, but it should do the trick The sprites that are crossed out aren't required. When there's a blue line in the middle of a row of sprites it means I don't want that whole row as a single animation, I want each division as a seperate file I'm so demanding, aren't I? XD

The main thing is just to get them aligned right (I'd probably try to get the waist of each sprite in the same place to get it), but if you leave a bit of room around the edges even that shouldn't be too big of a pain, as I can jiggle the individual sprites around until they're aligned perfectly without too much trouble

It's not really a big job, but it does take up time, so the more spare time I have the quicker I can get this demo up and running

Last edited by Gretin; 05-11-2007 at 01:59 AM..
05-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

Those sprites look awesome! I can't wait for this!
05-12-2007, 01:36 AM
E'l Scrabino
Sewer Sleg

E'l Scrabino  (94)

Ok. I'm working on it as you're reading this. i should have it done by tomorrow, or if i'm fast enough i'll have it done tonight.

EDIT: so far i've got idle(), jump() , fall(), door thingy (), dash() and run().

EDIT2: E'l fin walk()

I hope they're aligned to your liking.
Attached Images

Last edited by E'l Scrabino; 05-12-2007 at 02:29 AM..
05-12-2007, 04:42 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

El' Scrabino, they're awesome! What program do you use to animate?
05-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Zerox
Outlaw Mortar

: Um...RealWorld?
: 1,943
Zerox  (154)Zerox  (154)

Will there be cutscenes? I might be able to do a few drawings for them or something.
05-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

:
Will there be cutscenes? I might be able to do a few drawings for them or something.
That's a good idea, but I expect cutscenes will be done on computer along with backgrounds.

05-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Gretin
Clakker Relic Miner

Nice work, El' Scrabino, that will make importing the sprites much easier I'll need to add extra frames to some of them (which isn't your fault, it's just that, obviously, when frames are repeated there's no point in putting two frames that are exactly the same on the sheet), but that's ridiculously easy.

Zerox, can you show me a sample of your work? Because I might just take you up on that offer Cutscenes will probably be mixture of in-game movies (using the sprites) and still frames, which could well be hand-drawn if it looks good.

Oh, and a little progress report; level design is 100% complete, so now I can get down to putting it together. Once I have the backgrounds and collision masks sorted, it will just be a matter of importing the sprites El' Scrabino so kindly animated, and I'll be all set to get the movement engine set up.

Music is also coming along nicely

05-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Rex Tirano
Cute as a rabbit

: Aug 2001
: Nagasaki
: 2,259
Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)

This all looks amazing, you must be so clever. I wish I could do stuff like this.

Truely fantastic.

- Rexy

05-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Arxryl
Outlaw Sniper

: Oct 2006
: You wouldn't believe me.
: 1,559
Arxryl  (10)

Well, seeing as my recent computer Fre*king crashed, and I haven't had internet for the past few days (seems like a few weeks,) I won't be able to help much for a while.

Granted, I got a new computer (an awesome one I might add) I still won't be able to do much with it as of yet...

Again, I am so sorry I can't help... My sprites were looking awesome too... ...

Well, I guess that's how the computer crashes...

Our fate is sealed only when we accept it. -~Arxryl~-

05-12-2007, 05:00 PM
E'l Scrabino
Sewer Sleg

E'l Scrabino  (94)

Better than the quote "that's how the cookie crumbles" ^.^

Jordan, i used Flash Pro 8 to animate those sprites

And Gretin, i accidently left a bit of white in one of the walking sprites... So you'll hafta remove that

05-13-2007, 03:56 AM
Jordan
Screaming Bender

:
Better than the quote "that's how the cookie crumbles" ^.^

Jordan, i used Flash Pro 8 to animate those sprites

And Gretin, i accidently left a bit of white in one of the walking sprites... So you'll hafta remove that
Do you use the paid version?

Gretin, if you want any buttons making, just request them.
05-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Zerox
Outlaw Mortar

: Um...RealWorld?
: 1,943
Zerox  (154)Zerox  (154)

Will my deviantart do? I really need to get into an artistic mood again, and need more practice with photoshop and all:
http://zerox-the-psychic.deviantart.com/
05-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

This sounds like a marvellous idea, and I can’t wait to see it executed. Your progress so far looks neato.

This sounds like a creative project I’d like to be a park of. I think the only contributions I could possibly make would be to story and story/gameplay interaction, and other abstract ideas. But I know I’ve never contributed anything to Fan Corner that I could use in my application. Maybe, Chief Coordinator Gretin, you could suggest something for me to submit to you.