Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

10-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2007
: Denmark
: 2,190
Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)
OWF Chess Tournament - October 2018

OWF Chess Tournament - October 2018

Welcome to the sign-up and updates thread for the OWF Chess Tournament starting in October of 2018!

Have you ever wanted to play a game of intense mental calculation against your fellow forum members, but never really had a good enough excuse for it? Well, look no further for an excuse! For the next several weeks, a small chess tournament exclusively open to OWF members will be underway, with matches and updates organized by yours truly.

To begin with, let's go over the rules and tournament structure

Rules and Structure

1. THE USE OF CHESS ENGINES IN PLAYING TOURNAMENT GAMES IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. This rule should be obvious, but it never hurts to state it.

2. All games must be played through Lichess.org. This is for simplicity's sake. I will also make a point to ask all contestants to supply me with their username for Lichess.org, for ease of communication.

3. This is a point based tournament. Points are distributed based on the outcome of a given game. A win in any individual game is worth 2 points to the victor. A draw is worth 1 point for each player. A loss is worth 0 points. The tournament winners will be decided by the total number of points after all players have played one another in two games, one as each color. Thus, if there are 4 participants, there would be a grand total of 12 games played.

4. The time controls for every game line up with Lichess.org's classical time control. To be specific, this means 15 minutes of time, with an increment of 15 seconds after every move.

5. Every fortnight, on Friday, I will announce who will be playing who. Both players will play both colors, meaning two games in total. Over the course of two weeks, all the announced games must be played and a link to these games sent to me via PM, preferably from both players, to avoid any misunderstanding of which games count where. I will also post links to the games from the preceding fortnight, along with some brief commentary.

6. Failure to play your games within the two week period provided will result in drawn games. No exceptions. Failure to do so a second time will result in disqualification from the tournament and all your earlier games played will retroactively be discredited for both players. No exceptions. I hope this does not prove necessary to enforce.

---

But what good is a tournament without some contestants? To enter, all you need to do is post below that you'd like to join, give me your Lichess username and I will add your name to the tournament roster below!

Tournament Roster
Forum Username - Lichess username
MA - [Camhed]
STM - []
Phoetux - [phoetux]
Oddey - [soda_can_man]
Goodguyplayer - [goodguyplayer]
Blair187 - [Blair187]

The sign-up period will last until the 18th of October. The tournament will then commence on the 19th, with the first listing of games to be published then.

May the best player win!

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

Last edited by Oddey; 10-17-2018 at 12:27 PM..
10-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Goodguyplayer
Chippunk

: Jan 2017
: earth
: 34
Goodguyplayer  (32)

I have found my password just to post here!
Goodguyplayer - goodguyplayer
Expect me to lose

10-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Blair187
Zappfly

: Oct 2017
: Wiltshire england
: 4
Blair187  (23)

Blair187 - Blair187 not played in years but will be a laugh
10-05-2018, 11:34 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

just made an account on Lichess, username is: Camhed.
10-16-2018, 02:45 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)Oddey  (994)

Just another two days to sign up. So if you've got a hankering for playing a game, even just for fun, now would be a great time to jump in! Also, STM, looking at you for your Lichess account name so I can give out that information here.

:
Congratulations, Oddey, on winning FC's fanfiction competition two years running! You are clearly the man to beat!

10-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Alright, the signup period is over, so I'm posting the first round robin!

19th of October's Round Robin

Goodguyplayer vs. Oddey!

STM vs. Blair187!

MA vs. Phoetux!

As always, I am allocating a maximum of a fortnight to play these games. And again, should games fail to be played within this time, the match will be called a draw. Remember to PM me a link to the match on Lichess when you are finished with your two games, one as each color, regardless of whether you won or lost them!

---

With that, I expect to see PMs of Queen's Gambits, Sicilian Dragons, Caro-Kanns and lots of exciting Najdorf and Nimzowitsch variations! And now that the formalities are out of the way, go get to playing your games of chess! Feel free to send me a shout on Discord when you and your teammate decide to play, I'd love to spectate!

:

10-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

A brief update on the chess tournament: sadly, STM is busy with other things and does not have time to play chess. This is completely reasonable, but unfortunately would leave the tournament with five people, which is rather small. Thankfully, Vexen has graciously decided to join the tournament in STM's place. Welcome to the tournament, Vexen and best of luck!

:

11-02-2018, 06:13 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

November 2nd's Round Robin

Blair187 vs. MA

Phoetux vs. GGP

Oddey vs. Vexen!

As always, I am allocating a maximum of a fortnight to play these games. And again, should games fail to be played within this time, the match will be called a draw. Remember to PM me a link to the match on Lichess when you are finished with your two games, one as each color, regardless of whether you won or lost them!

For all games that aren't finished by today at 12:00 GMT + 1, I will consider them draws, with the exception of Vexen vs. Blair187 for this fortnight, who will have until the 6th to finish their games.

---

The scores so far:

In the lead, Oddey and Blair, each with four points.
Just inches away, Camhed and Phoetux with two points.
And holding up the vanguard, Vexen and Goodguyplayer, each with zero points.

---

Last fortnight's games:

Oddey vs GGP:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 plays out in a unique opening with GGP taking a very defensive position as white, while I play a little loose with the black pieces, eventually getting a second queen, at which point GGP decides to call it quits.
Game 2 is a little more conventional, until GGP decides to gamble his queen, which unfortunately does not pay off for him.

Vexen vs. Blair187:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 comes with a fabulous game from Blair187, who presses Vexen into an unwinnable situation, then fails to realize he's done so until some moves later!
Game 2 unfolds in a less clear manner, with mistakes from both sides that initially seem to equalize the board, until once again, Blair187 moves in for the kill.

Camhed vs. Phoetux:
Game 1
The only game played between Camhed and Phoetux (at least under official tournament rulings) features perhaps the most unorthodox play so far in this tournament, with odd strategies coming from both sides. Particularly memorable is Phoetux's choice of the Anderssen opening, played by one of the earliest grandmasters, now considered a fairly feeble opening, but one that Camhed considers strong enough that it must be refuted through a knight sacrifice. Other highlights include Camhed's killing spree on the back rank, the second queen exchange, the deadlock dance in the center, Camhed's third queen dominating Phoetux until accidentally drawing the game! Truly, I don't think I've ever seen a game like this anywhere else in chess!
The second game is automatically considered a draw since it wasn't played.

Spectacular stuff guys, I can't wait to see this next fortnight's games, as I'm sure they will be just as entertaining!

:

Last edited by Oddey; 11-04-2018 at 07:24 AM..
11-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

:
Particularly memorable is Phoetux's choice of the Anderson opening, played by one of the earliest grandmasters, now considered a fairly feeble opening
I didn't even know that was a known opening lel, did this game all by logic. MA was awesome to play with!

11-03-2018, 03:16 PM
OddjobAbe
National Treasure

: Feb 2007
: England
: 3,121
OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)

:
now considered a fairly feeble opening, but one that
Camhed considers strong enough that it must be refuted through a knight sacrifice
This gave me a belly-laugh. Great commentary.

EDIT: MA, just watched the game, you had phoetux by the balls at the end, should have gone Qg6

Last edited by OddjobAbe; 11-03-2018 at 03:29 PM..
11-05-2018, 03:42 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

lol yeah i think Oddey said something similar too. i love chess but i'm an absolute novice.
11-05-2018, 05:32 AM
OddjobAbe
National Treasure

OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)

Yeah, I'm shit at chess - I play it casually occasionally when I get a chance, but I don't ever study it, so my tactics are pretty much non-existent...

11-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

You'll fit right in!
11-05-2018, 07:24 AM
OddjobAbe
National Treasure

Sounds like I just might!

11-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

November 16th's Round Robin

Blair187 vs. Phoetux

MA vs. Oddey

GGP vs. Vexen!

As always, I am allocating a maximum of a fortnight to play these games. And again, should games fail to be played within this time, the match will be called a draw. Remember to put a link to your chess game in the Discord set up in conjunction with the OWF Discord server.

---

The scores so far:

Still in the lead, Oddey and Blair, each with eight points.
Overtaking both Camhed and Phoetux, Goodguyplayer with four points.
Some ways back now, Camhed and Phoetux with two points each.
And keeping an eye on the back rank, Vexen with zero.

---

Last fortnight's games:

Phoetux vs. Goodguyplayer:
Game 1
Game 2
In game 1, we see a very early knight sacrifice from Phoetux, gaining an open white queen. However, Phoetux's exciting gambit does not pay off and Goodguyplayer is able to use his queen to slice into the back rank and close the game.
In game 2, we are treated to, what else, another early knight sacrifice, once again, playing for an open queen. Rather than play out an attack on the queen, Phoetux then chooses to make waves with his pawns. Goodguyplayer, however, pushes Phoetux further and further into a corner before sealing the game with a checkmate left open by Phoetux's queen.

Vexen vs. Oddey:
Game 1
Game 2
In game 1, we see some careless early moves from myself that Vexen attempts to capitalize on, gaining an early pawn advantage. However, Vexen's greed gets the better of him and he loses his queen very early. After that, I seal the game with a very fast checkmate on move 12.
For game 2, embarrassment from both sides. Vexen plays a very unusual opening for white, in that it allows a one-move checkmate sequence for black. I play a very unusual response, which is to say, I don't see this checkmate until long after the game. Instead, Vexen and I play a somewhat tricky game with a very active black queen that slowly picks up pieces before checkmating with the help of a trusty knight.

Blair vs. Camhed:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 between Blair and Camhed features the Alekhine defense from Camhed, responded to rather unusually by Blair. However, Camhed opts to sacrifice his knight, as seems to be a trend for this tournament and quickly sacrifice his second to match. Blair is then able to swiftly make a crushing attack that ends the game very forcibly.

Game 2, on the other hand, is begun with almost an inverse of Anderssen's Opening, with h4 being played by white, with MA hoping for an early rooklift, cut short by Blair's all-seeing bishop. After this, a notable encounter comes when MA's second rook faces off with Blair's queen, causing some serious consternation from Blair, as he searches for the right move. Eventually, Blair finds a way to imprison this rook and eventually execute it at his leisure and from there, Blair crushes through the last of Camhed's defense for another win.

Thank you everyone for participating in this round robin and finding time to get all your games played! Best of luck to everyone in this round robin too!

:

11-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

November 30th's Round Robin

Vexen vs. Camhed

Oddey vs. Phoetux

Blair vs. GGP!

As always, I am allocating a maximum of a fortnight to play these games, starting from the 30th of November. And again, should games fail to be played within this time, the match will be called a draw. Remember to put a link to your chess game in the Discord set up in conjunction with the OWF Discord server.

---

The scores so far:

Neck and neck, even now, Oddey and Blair, each with twelve points!
Goodguyplayer, still sitting pretty in third at five points.
Vexen pulling ahead with three points (remember to thank Varrok for substituting).
Camhed and Phoeutx ever holding back at two points.

---

Last fortnight's games:

Phoetux vs. Blair:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 features one of the first games from Phoetux without an early knight sacrifice, which might have upset Blair's mojo as Blair later misses an almost immediate checkmate sequence. Eventually, the balance is restored when Phoetux sacrifices a knight later in the game and Blair closes things up.

Game 2 features a rook sacrifice from Phoetux rather than a knight, but it appears to grant him little better, as Blair quickly makes Phoetux's life a hell from which there is no escape.

Camhed vs. Oddey:
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 is likely the shortest game yet at just 11 moves until I move in for a rather sneaky checkmate, after MA mistakenly grabs what he thinks is a free pawn.

Game 2 is sadistically long for MA as his pieces are hunted down one by one until his king is pushed into a corner and finally checkmated.

Vexen (Varrok) vs. GGP:
Game 1
Game 2

Game 1 shows probably more queens than you could ever need at once for Vexen, graciously substituted by Varrok for this round and possibly more. GGP is caught in an unwinnable endgame and Varrok opts to play the cruelest checkmate imaginable.

Game 2, on the other hand, is oddly reminiscent of the game between Phoetux and Camhed, with bother players making a number of mistakes and eventually culminating in a draw thanks to a number of misplays from Vexen/Varrok, which GGP eventually takes full advantage of and manages to save his game.

Thank you everyone for participating in this round robin and finding time to get all your games played, this time even ahead of the deadline! Best of luck to everyone in this round robin too!

:

Last edited by Oddey; 12-02-2018 at 09:23 AM..
12-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

December 14th Round Robin

In the interest of allowing people some time off during the holidays, I am allowing three fortnights to play these final last games. That means you will have until the 18th of January This should be more than sufficient. As soon as all games are played, I will announce the results here!

Phoetux vs Vexen (Varrok)

GGP vs Camhed

Blair187 vs Oddey!

---

The scores so far:
Still blazing the trail forward, Oddey and Blair, each with sixteen points!
Vexen(Varrok) now grappling for a third place with GGP at six points!
GGP in fourth, but with strong chances for third, with five points!
Camhed, now just slightly above Phoeutx at three!
And Phoetux, making sure nothing's out of place in the back, with two!

---

Last fortnight's games:

Vexen(Varrok) vs Camhed:
Game 1
Game 2
Both these games are played by Varrok, rather than Vexen, as an initial note, hence the shared place.
Game 1 features a rather hasty blunder by Varrok, attempting to play for a fool's mate. Then Camhed fails to move his rook as far as he wants, then misses an easy capture of Varrok's queen. However, this is Camhed's last warning: after this, Varrok plays mercilessly, capturing every single piece until finally Camhed is checkmated in one of the most sadistic mates ever.
Game 2 showcases one of Camhed's trademarked openings with a rooklift, which Varrok copies. However, an unusual play follows where Camhed allows his queen to be trapped in a corner for the most of the game. But interestingly, this does not destroy Camhed's game: in fact, Camhed has an advantage around move 23 with a worse position, but more pieces to work with. Unfortunately, Camhed misplays and spends a long time moving his king around to dodge checkmate. In a shocking twist, however, Varrok mistakenly stalemates Camhed!

Oddey vs Phoetux
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 is an amazingly short game, with Phoetux already making a fatal mistake on his second move, which, unfortunately, leaves him open to checkmate.
Game 2 is considerably longer, but is nearly as cruel as the game between Varrok and Camhed, where, again, all of Phoetux's pieces are eaten up until only his king and four measly pawns remain. Checkmate then follows.

Blair vs. GGP
Game 1
Game 2

Game 1, initially, seems to favor Blair, before GGP turns it around for quite a while. However, a mistaken bishop sacrifice costs GGP his advantage and Blair's excellent technique allows him to pick up the pace and go for the win.
Game 2, on the other hand, only mildly favors GGP to begin with, primarily as first-move advantage, but then quickly goes to Blair's very careful and precise play.

Once again, thanks to everyone for participating and a special thank you to Varrok for substituting for Vexen!

:

12-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)

The first game against you was horrible

12-17-2018, 01:38 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Honestly, both of those were pretty brutal for you.

:

01-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Oddey
Outlaw Bomber

Final Scores

In fifth place, MA, with four points!

In a shared fourth place, Vexen/Varrok and Phoetux with six points!

In third place, GGP with eight points!

In second place, Blair with an excellent sixteen points!

But in first place, Oddey with a round twenty points, having beaten everyone twice!

A special thank you to everyone who voiced support for this idea and then joined in! Without you, this event wouldn't have been possible and I would never have gotten to know your openings and gambits!

---

The last round's games:

Vexen vs. Phoetux
Unfortunately, Vexen/Varrok chose to resign the games vs Phoetux, meaning I have no games to show you here.

GGP vs. MA
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 showcases some very fine play from GGP, as he slowly but surely wipes out MA's side of the board before delivering a watertight checkmate.
Game 2, on the other hand, is one of the few draws of this tournament and actually the only draw that was agreed upon by both players. GGP plays a wild and aggressive opening that eventually leads to MA recovering and drawing out a game that might otherwise have been very deadly for him.

Blair187 vs Oddey
Game 1
Game 2
Game 1 is the long-awaited clash between myself and Blair187, both of us undefeated up til this point. Game 1 is extremely close, with a big part of the game being almost completely equal. It is also extremely long, with a drawn-out endgame that I really pushed hard for a win. I do eventually get it, but probably not due to any brilliance on my part so much as just bitterly fighting on.
Game 2, on the other hand, features Blair going for a reversed Sicilian, something Blair has not played before. While this is an awkward choice for myself as well, Blair makes a decision to try to pull his queen out of the way, which ultimately undermines his king's security and his defense falls apart all too quickly.

---

I hope to use this tournament to start up an OWF Chess Championship in late 2018, around the same time I started this tournament, where challengers will be welcomed to play one another to qualify for finals and eventually try to take the title of OWF Chess Champion from me. Meanwhile, I also intend to host another tournament of this form, but with Blitz games instead of classical games and with four games rather than just two. Keep an eye out for a new thread for just such an event and feel free to chat about ideas for other things on the OWF Chess Discord!

:

Last edited by Oddey; 01-09-2019 at 11:36 AM..
01-10-2019, 09:25 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

yay!

thanks to all the players! especially Oddey for going out of his way to organise the whole thing and ensure we all played our games on time. this worked well as a community project. enjoyed!
01-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

Better luck next time, Oddey!
01-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

I didn't post here yet? Weird.
This Tournament was really fun and a great opportunity to improve in the game of chess! Cheers to everyone who was in, let's hope we do this again