Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

01-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Like I've said before though, whether you find it funny or not has nothing to do with it, the point is it's not to be taken seriously.
It's shock humor, an "oh I can't believe they just did that" sort of thing. There's entire franchises built around that kind of humor.

01-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

tl;dr version: Extremism is bad. Going to extreme lengths to offend people already experiencing a social tumult is bad. Murdering those offensive people is an unacceptably extremely bad response. Saying that Charlie Hebdo were just harmless satirists is ignoring the evidence that they were still racist assholes.

:
Like I've said before though, whether you find it funny or not has nothing to do with it, the point is it's not to be taken seriously.
It's shock humor, an "oh I can't believe they just did that" sort of thing. There's entire franchises built around that kind of humor.

You don't make a conscious choice to be offended. It happens, and how you respond to that trigger is subjective, but when people are taught that the image of their most revered prophet is holy and should be respected, they have every right (down to the juices in their brains) to find it offensive and desire not to see it. It's documented that Charlie Hebdo repeatedly published front-page comics whose purpose was to skewer Mohammed in unflattering and disrespectful ways. That isn't to say murdering those responsible is the answer, I think the majority of Muslim people aware of Charlie Hebdo made a conscious choice to ignore it, or even to interpret it as the lazy, half-baked attempt at satire that it was and not think about it.

Tell me something, Nepsotic. Do you think it would be fair to cast judgements on you for the rest of your life because of all that pony-related content you used to post? That was pretty recent in my opinion, within the last several years.

So imagine instead of being one person you're a few thousand, and instead of ponies you believe there was a dude who spoke for God (or at least with some authority on behalf of the God he believed in). This guy is a highly respectable figure in your life. And that about 1000 years of varying levels of dominion, peace and violence, history books full of events, occurred as a result of your pony nonsense/what this Holy Guy got up to. So much has happened that you can't really look at this guy or the book he came from the same way, and you have to look at the world with the scope of history available.
Now your tastes have changed, you've learned more, you've got more to talk about and offer, but people won't stop associating you with a past snapshot of how you interpreted things and presented yourself. And also there's a magazine that deliberately singles you out and makes sure to take every oppurtunity to target you with unflattering imagery and poorly-written editorials.

Charlie Hebdo took the opportunity to single out Islam because it's an easy target because people like you would stand up and say 'Duuuh, it's just meant to be a joke!' when its purpose was to disinform and play on people's preexisting prejudices.

That rampant disregard for the modernization of a billion people and the assumption they're all raging, kamikaze savages is what Charlie Hebdo was all about. They were insular, hateful old men.
Charlie Hebdo capitalized on a specific brand of xenophobia, or anti Islamic sentiment if you'd like, that didn't attempt to shock people for the sake of humor but was really, truly toxic and hateful. We already know the mag was run by people who did and said racist or offensive things, outside the context of cartoons. We already know they didn't deserve to die for this, but it does not give you or anyone else license to pass them off as harmless comedians poking fun. They were assholes who didn't deserve to die. They deserved criticism, and maybe a lil smack on the bottom, but nobody is saying they deserved it. Stop making that association.

It's so easy to disregard people as reasonable and 'like you and me' by assuming they're all mad about the same things and capable of the same things due to that anger, but this is clearly not the case. I'm not a Muslim person, I'm not someone who grew up in the same environment of worship and dedication to Mohammed, and I find the comics offensive, disrespectful and lazy. Does that mean I'm going to go firebomb some Europeans over it? According to you, it does. After all, I took offense, something a thousand times more terrible than publishing nasty cartoons that play on peoples fears. Nope, all I'm doing is letting people know 'Yo, that's fucking bad!'

Look up some of the really bad Charlie Hebdo comics, the ones that aren't being republished because they're too offensive. if you can't honestly agree that the lengths they went were for the explicit purpose of pissing people off, and not purely for the sake of humor, then I'll let you continue espousing ignorance without reply.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 01-11-2015 at 08:37 AM..
01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

In addition to what Mac said, I'm going to point out to Nepsotic that saying 'IT WAS A JOKE' doesn't excuse anything. Humour doesn't mean anything is allowable. Humour doesn't mean it's inoffensive. Humour doesn't mean it's not meant vindictively. Humour doesn't mean that there isn't anything serious behind it.

Humour has no greater or lesser freedom than any other speech. 'IT WAS JUST A JOKE' is not an excuse for anything and I really wish you'd stop saying it.

01-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

:

Charlie Hebdo took the opportunity to single out Islam because it's an easy target because people like you would stand up and say 'Duuuh, it's just meant to be a joke!' when its purpose was to disinform and play on people's preexisting prejudices.

That rampant disregard for the modernization of a billion people and the assumption they're all raging, kamikaze savages is what Charlie Hebdo was all about. They were insular, hateful old men.

Charlie Hebdo capitalized on a specific brand of xenophobia, or anti Islamic sentiment if you'd like, that didn't attempt to shock people for the sake of humor but was really, truly toxic and hateful. We already know the mag was run by people who did and said racist or offensive things, outside the context of cartoons. We already know they didn't deserve to die for this, but it does not give you or anyone else license to pass them off as harmless comedians poking fun. They were assholes who didn't deserve to die. They deserved criticism, and maybe a lil smack on the bottom, but nobody is saying they deserved it. Stop making that association.

It's so easy to disregard people as reasonable and 'like you and me' by assuming they're all mad about the same things and capable of the same things due to that anger, but this is clearly not the case. I'm not a Muslim person, I'm not someone who grew up in the same environment of worship and dedication to Mohammed, and I find the comics offensive, disrespectful and lazy. Does that mean I'm going to go firebomb some Europeans over it? According to you, it does. After all, I took offense, something a thousand times more terrible than publishing nasty cartoons that play on peoples fears. Nope, all I'm doing is letting people know 'Yo, that's fucking bad!'

Look up some of the really bad Charlie Hebdo comics, the ones that aren't being republished because they're too offensive. if you can't honestly agree that the lengths they went were for the explicit purpose of pissing people off, and not purely for the sake of humor, then I'll let you continue espousing ignorance without reply.
I think you're perhaps running it too far in the other direction, Mac. You say it's been proven that they're all a bunch of racist assholes, but is there any evidence, aside from the cartoons themselves, that the people murdered espoused such views?

Is it possible that the crude send ups and depictions of Muhammed is less about offending Muslims and more about the idolisation of certain figures by people who resort to extreme violence?

Charlie Hebdo are also known for ridiculing all religions. And I'd say Islam is not the "easy target" considering there are known extremists who murder people for such satire. Not that they're doing great work, Charlie Hebdo, but Jesus Christ is a far easier target than lampooning Muhammed. I don't get the impression that they're singling out Islam but, at the moment, it's the only religion used in a "Holy Wars" across the world (at least it's the only one you hear about). And nothing wets satirist appetites like ridiculing such people.

It's supposed to be humourous but I'm not getting the impression that "It's all just a joke!". There's an intent behind these images and I'm not getting the impression that it's to appeal to the xenophobia and conservatism in the country.

Charlie Hebdo seem like the type of people that aren't going to separate religion from the atrocities or social oppression that's committed in it's name in case they offend the man on the street. Sure, it's antagonistic. It's offensive to certain people. But I think jumping down the racist or xenophobic angle seems like an easy, knee-jerk reaction since they're being martyred by many people.

Regardless, post some of those cartoons that aren't being re-published because I'd like to get a look at them. Perhaps looking at the context of these cartoons will make me see it your way.
01-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

:
In addition to what Mac said, I'm going to point out to Nepsotic that saying 'IT WAS A JOKE' doesn't excuse anything. Humour doesn't mean anything is allowable. Humour doesn't mean it's inoffensive. Humour doesn't mean it's not meant vindictively. Humour doesn't mean that there isn't anything serious behind it.

Humour has no greater or lesser freedom than any other speech. 'IT WAS JUST A JOKE' is not an excuse for anything and I really wish you'd stop saying it.
Now you're saying like you're an oracle saying where is the offensiveness line for humor. That's your opinion. Each person has his own limit after which he gets insulted. I don't think humor presented in that French mag shouldn't be allowed because of potential offensiveness. If I was of Islam faith with all of my personality, I wouldn't give a rat's shit about it. Really. I didn't find it funny (it's more like a lazy low-blow), but that's a different case. What can you say about it?

I somehow don't imagine you going and protesting against tv shows like South Park, because they insult people in their comedy.

I agree with Nep. If something is labeled as a humor, it shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not like that's the point of humor, riiiight?
01-11-2015, 02:29 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

: Mar 2009
: :noiƚɒɔo⅃
: 9,743
MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

Deliberately being cruel to a large number of innocent people for no practical reason: Not to be taken seriously.

01-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

Yes it's not as if there are tonnes and tonnes of websites/blogs/articles that do that exact thing all the time.

Also Nate, in humour anything is allowed, and that's something I will defend to the death. Yes, you've got to know where it's okay to make certain jokes and where it's not, but it comes down to this, if one thing is okay to joke about, anything is. Nothing gets special treatment, and that's something I've always believed in.

01-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

petition to rename this thread “The Aristocrats” and close it right now

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

01-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

: Sep 2008
: Rock bottom
: 4,911
Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

:
Yes it's not as if there are tonnes and tonnes of websites/blogs/articles that do that exact thing all the time.
Well it looks like Nep has this discussion well and truly on the rocks.

It's been a fun ride thanks for playing.
01-11-2015, 03:11 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)MeechMunchie  (14320)

Guys the internet did something so I guess that makes it okay

It's not like stupid people ever use the internet

Nep, my bottom line is this: I'm all for comedy taking on controversial subjects; it's an important component in shaping public attitudes, and those attitudes ultimately determine quality of life for various groups of people. Also, y'know, it's funny.

My issue with Charlie Hebdo isn't that the magazine publishes comedy adressing racism, my issue is that they publish racism and label it as comedy. Diagram:

Those cartoons have no subtext, no satirical intention, no deeper meaning that reveals the racial caricatures as themselves symbols of the backwards fools who maintain them. There's no setup, no punchline, no topical observation: It's just foriegners and their kin being depicted as universally freakish and unpleasant.

Forget finding it funny: unless you harbour racist views, that's not even a joke. It offends me both as an opponent of racism and lover of comedy.

Last edited by MeechMunchie; 01-11-2015 at 03:17 PM..
01-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

You're completely wrong there, Meech. Gotta say. And that's quite an impressive straw man if I've ever seen one.

For example I'll quote some Frenchman, who has a better knowledge of current affairs than myself, on these particular cartoons:

"Don't touch our (welfare) allocations!"

:
This cover is mixing two unrelated elements which made the news at about the same time:
- Boko Haram victims likely to end up sex slaves in Nigeria
- Decrease of French welfare allocations

In France, as in probably every country who has welfare allocations, some people criticize this system because some people might try to game it (e.g., "welfare queens" idea). Note that if we didn't had it there would probably be much more people complaining because the ones who really need it would end up in extreme poverty.

Charlie Hebdo is known for being left-wing attached and very controversial, and I think they wanted to parody people who criticize "welfare queens" by taking this point-of-view to the absurd, to show that immigrant women in France are more likely to be victims of patriarchy than evil manipulative profiteers.

And of course if we only stay on the first-degree approach, it's a terrible racist and absurd cover.

As Adrien points out in his answer, it was neither the first nor the last time Charlie Hebdo used this kind of "satirical news mixing", and had no "preferred target".
And here's another about a seemingly very racist cartoon:

:
John Courouble
31 upvotes by Marc Bodnick, Peter de Vroede, Quora User, (more)
Thanks to everyone who has contributed - really important to get the truth out there to English-speaking audiences. There's one significant cartoon in the context of attitudes to Africans which I don't think anyone has addressed, so forgive me if I chip in.

In November 2013 a cartoon in Charlie Hebdo depicted the Justice Minister Christiane Taubira, who is black (not literally African, specifically she was born in French Guiana), as a monkey. This has been a very popular image to share on Twitter as evidence that Charlie is a racist publication.

The first clue that all is not what it seems is that the cartoon was drawn by Charb - the editor himself. He was a Communist, and his girlfriend's parents were North African. A funny kind of racist. Next you have to note that the text next to that cartoon says "Rassemblement Bleu Raciste". This is a play on "Rassemblement Bleu Marine", the slogan of Marine Le Pen's national front, and the tricolor flame next to it is the party logo.

So, what you then need to know is that the cartoon was published after a National Front politician Facebooked a photoshop of the woman in the cartoon as a monkey, and then said on French TV that she should be "in a tree swinging from the branches rather than in government".

French Far-Right Politician Compares Justice Minister To Monkey

The cartoon is literally saying the National Front are racists. I'm genuinely not sure whether propagating the imagery is or isn't a useful way of mocking the FN, but turning an antifascist cartoon into evidence of racism based on no understanding at all takes some real pathology.
I mean, had you even hear of Charlie Hebdo before this crisis? I hadn't. But I found it hard to believe that everyone supporting Charlie were ignorant to supporting a bunch of racist xenophobics and were simply blinded by martyrdom or whatever.

And, to me anyway, these don't sound like the ramblings of apologists. They sound like the opinions of French people who understand their culture, and this newspaper, better than any of us on OWF.
01-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

:
I think you're perhaps running it too far in the other direction, Mac. You say it's been proven that they're all a bunch of racist assholes, but is there any evidence, aside from the cartoons themselves, that the people murdered espoused such views?
:
Regardless, post some of those cartoons that aren't being re-published because I'd like to get a look at them. Perhaps looking at the context of these cartoons will make me see it your way.
It might seem like a cop out, but I genuinely have no interest in looking at or circulating those comics that I deem particularly offensive. That being said, here's a link to several I feel abuse the image of an extremist as a strawman stand-in for Muslims: http://elderofziyon.blogspot.ca/2012...-cartoons.html
I'm not sure what the political angle of that blog is so if you dig deeper and find out the guy's a big crazy anti-semite leave me out of it.
Ah, here's the comic I keep talking about. The one with Mohammed's dick and balls hanging out and 'a star is born' inexplicably inscribed above. It's at the bottom of the page. Understand that on their own I feel like these are simply politically motivated cartoons, but the more that same rough image used to depict muslims is used the less unintentional the stereotyping feels.
The evidence that I'd cite for them encouraging such views were publishing Sine's piece in the first place and firing him after it became critically and perhaps commercially necessary to do so and avoid possible legal trouble. I draw the conclusion that though the majority of the people at Charlie Hebdo were unlikely bigoted and hateful, there were people in charge willing to accomodate a certain level of ignorance either for shock value or because they actually felt the same way.
linky
I'll be the first to admit to getting carried away with describing these people as worse than they clearly were, and I'll keep things a little less indulgently critical from here on out, but at the core of my arguments is the point that Charlie Hebdo used a generalized image of Islam to criticize Muslims in general, in a part of the world that allows free speech in such a way that such a crude and abrupt depiction should not have been necessary or be considered appropriate.

:
Charlie Hebdo seem like the type of people that aren't going to separate religion from the atrocities or social oppression that's committed in it's name in case they offend the man on the street. Sure, it's antagonistic. It's offensive to certain people. But I think jumping down the racist or xenophobic angle seems like an easy, knee-jerk reaction since they're being martyred by many people.
And I'd be inclined to agree with you if the popular perception of Muslims did not already seem to be seriously negatively slanted, especially in some parts of Europe. If their purpose was to satirize there's plenty of ways of doing so without repeatedly going back to the image of the scowling terroriste, which seems to be their calling card when it comes to depicting Muslims.

Were they calling for brownies to be lynched in the street? Obviously not. Were they regurgitating a harmful and inaccurate image that encouraged a culture already wary of a group of people to single out that group of people in a negative way, I think so. While I'm not french and never truly will be, I've been aware of the growing miconceptions about Islam and the air of ignorance that pervades its popular western critics for a few years, ever since a friend got really obsessed and I grew interested in it.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 01-11-2015 at 04:28 PM..
01-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
Now you're saying like you're an oracle saying where is the offensiveness line for humor. That's your opinion. Each person has his own limit after which he gets insulted. I don't think humor presented in that French mag shouldn't be allowed because of potential offensiveness. If I was of Islam faith with all of my personality, I wouldn't give a rat's shit about it. Really. I didn't find it funny (it's more like a lazy low-blow), but that's a different case. What can you say about it?

I somehow don't imagine you going and protesting against tv shows like South Park, because they insult people in their comedy.

I agree with Nep. If something is labeled as a humor, it shouldn't be taken seriously. It's not like that's the point of humor, riiiight?
My problem is that you say 'labeled as humor' rather than 'actually being humorous'. Look at Mac's most recent post for examples of the former rather than the latter.

And, leaving that hair-split aside, even if it humorous, that doesn't excuse anything and everything. Just because something is amusing does not mean it isn't serious. In fact, that's almost the definition of what makes good satire.

:

Also Nate, in humour anything is allowed, and that's something I will defend to the death. Yes, you've got to know where it's okay to make certain jokes and where it's not, but it comes down to this, if one thing is okay to joke about, anything is. Nothing gets special treatment, and that's something I've always believed in.
This next point primarily to Nepsotic, but also addresses Varrok's post: the point is not that 'in humour anything is allowed'. Frankly, the far more important point is that "In free speech, anything is allowed".

But you're missing the point that I've been trying to make in this thread. I'm going to express it in its own sentence in its own paragraph, just to hopefully get it drilled into your head that it is important.

Just because something is allowed, doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

This isn't about the law. This isn't about limiting free speech. This is about ethics. And, speaking as a believer in Utilitarianism, the best thing to do is that which creates the greatest good for the greatest number of people. To put it a different way, you should live your life in such a way that the world as a whole is a better place for you having lived with it. And the world is a worse place for Charlie Hebdo's cartoons having been in it.

01-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

I was writing a longish reply last night, Mac, but the internet cut out and it went away with the wind. So I went to bed. The short of of it was to do with context being the most important thing, is that I think Charlie Hebdo is against Islam and religion rather than anti-Muslim, that their focus is not the man on the street but the man who idolises Muhammed and resorts to violence if his image is ever depicted, and, unfortunately for the average Muslim, they too are Muslim - and like people like Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins their approach seems to be anti-theism rather than separating the terrorist from his religion on focusing on that aspect.

Unfortunately there are those who will use it as fuel to their discriminatory fire but perhaps Charlie Hebdo are the type of mag that don't feel the need to make a clear distinction in their cartoons. Perhaps they expect their readers to understand what type of Muslim they're satirising and, if they're really a left-wing anarchistic magazine, don't care for the opinion of any xenophobic readers they may have out there. The monkey cartoon, to me, would seem a prime example of this.

In the case of the anti-semite it's hard to say what went on internally and I wouldn't be quick to make any assumptions. It may come out that some of the cartoonists were actually racists at heart and I'llbe the first to throw my hands in the air - even if I still think some of these cartoons are concerned with making a social or political statement rather than spreading further xenophobia.

Also, just as a little aside, is prejudice and discrimination of Muslims actually racism? I'm pretty sure it doesn't concern their actual race but their culture or religion. It's not the same as saying "all these Muslims have massive teeth because they're not white". I'm actually curious about the distinction. Or whether the term, racism, has really evolved beyond race.
01-12-2015, 03:19 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

This is an interesting viewpoint on the room for offensive satire in society.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/op...one-share&_r=0
01-12-2015, 04:26 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Regarding your last point in your longer post; you're talking semantics really, racism and general discrimination are similar enough and shitty enough that it makes no difference what you call it. Additionally you have to pretty much question the definition of race.

01-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

:
Regarding your last point in your longer post; you're talking semantics really, racism and general discrimination are similar enough and shitty enough that it makes no difference what you call it. Additionally you have to pretty much question the definition of race.
Not really, discrimination against an ideology comes from a different place than discrimination against an ethnic group. The root of ideological discrimination can very easily come from ignorance or lack of understanding or just vehement disagreement with that ideology, rather than simple hatred of skin color or perceived racial superiority.

Sure, it’s still shitty and intolerant behavior, but it can evolve from more reasonable roots and thus needs to be approached and understood in a different manner.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

01-12-2015, 10:33 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

Have you heard about the latest Hebdo cover? Yeah, thats happening.

01-13-2015, 12:36 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Which makes sense...

Translated from here: http://www.liberation.fr/societe/201...rcredi_1179193

The lawyer of the newspaper , Richard Malka recalled Monday afternoon that the drawings of Muhammad and other religious authorities were usual in the newspaper for years. "In each issue of Charlie Hebdo for twenty- two years , there is not one in which there is no caricatures of the Pope, Jesus , priests , or rabbis , imams and Mohammed." "The surprising thing would be that there is no " Muhammad drawings in this issue, he said .

"We will not yield or all this will have no sense. The mindset "I'm Charlie", also means "right to blasphemy" warned me Malka , also stating that Charlie Hebdo is "not violent but irreverent newspaper, bringing laughter" and vehemently denied any accusation of Islamophobia . Asked about whether the newspaper is "Islamophobic" , Richard Malka said that Charlie Hebdo "attacked much less Islam than Christianity" and criticized a "relativism of indecent and obscene bad faith" .

01-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

One PR puff piece does not excuse 22 years of this:
http://images.dailykos.com/images/12...png?1420739736
image being used to 'satirize' Islam. I give, they demonstrate an understanding that what the extremists stand for is not what Mohammed/Islam stands for in that cover, I just haven't seen any evidence they've moved beyond the 'Well most Muslims support the extremists' mindset.
They can claim to have blown Lord Xenu out of the sky for all I care, the evidence that they scapegoated Muslims on a social level is absolutely still there. They took a group of people, currently marginalized due to their beliefs (and conceivably because of the part of the world they immigrated from), and played on that negative image to promote a perception that what they think and do is wrong and 'unfrench'. Ignorant.
France, or more accurately what I can ascertain of modern French society does not seem to have a lot of respect for religion. It's a secular society that exists in a vacuum of its own freedom-of-expression allowances conflicting with the gentrifying advocates of those same freedoms. One is free to express their ire for a religion in France, but one is not allowed to dress their children in the symbols or accoutrements that are part of their religious ritual.
That seems backwards to me. Tell me, could a culture that banned the wearing of religious icons (IE a crucifix necklace, Hindu T-shirt, or Religiously-obligated Turban) be considered above ignoring the growing social dissaray to cloud an issue into simply being about 'free speech' rather than having the conversation 'Did what these people publish constitute extreme abuse of free speech?'.

The thing is, getting back to the point at the start of this issue, Is it solidarity in evidence that they scoff at the very people supporting them or is it the same patent, idiotic disrespect that leads me to believe they are ignorant and hateful? Charlie Hebdo doesn't give a shit about 'Je Suis Charlie' because they themselves know it's a backwards and incomplete picture of who they are and what they do. They themselves seem to acknowledge the fundamental ignorance the social media rabble have by not appreciating Charlie Hebdo as a two sided coin; 1) Is what people want to celebrate: They expressed their criticism however they wanted. 2) They did so in a way that deliberately offended and marginalized Muslims already caught in the cycle of ignorance. Christians aren't being misunderstood and attacked in the streets, Buddhists aren't being called to answer for the extreme peacefulness exhibited by adherents to their faith.
So why then does it seem like nothing really happened here? Some men were killed, and I'm not trying to imply that doesn't matter, but there's no wellspring of understanding emerging. People are just blatantly in support of what Charlie Hebdo published because they got attacked, and that's fucking stupid.

I'm not saying they were exclusively Islamophobic. I'm sure there were plenty of other Ideological strawmen published within the pages of Charlie Hebdo. But I think that using this as an opportunity to address the growing misconceptions about muslims is a lot more legitimate than saying 'They were bad, but they weren't that bad.' or more harmfully 'It's okay they treated all groups this disrespectfully and carelessly'.

Important edit: I think we've reached the point where the facts are on the table and peoples opinions and conjecture are taking over, especially mine. I exhibit some pretty extreme opinions on things, and I was definitely wrong to go whole-hog and label Charlie Hebdo as racist because that label was, by my own admission, easier than explaining what I meant by it. This is ironically a situation where my own extreme interpretation of things may have clouded it for other people. I think that what Charlie Hebdo published as far as cartoons about Islam was Inappropriate, or simply inopportune, given a climate of distrust and misinformation pertaining to Muslims. I don't think they were trying to get anyone deported, or motivating people to attack Muslims in the street, nothing like that. I think they played up the model of Muslim people as 'unreasonable and unwilling to change' when French law already encourages them to indulge their religious practices and rituals differently. By their very presence in France they are change, but Charlie Hebdo singled them out regardless. This forces them (Muslims) to accept and do things differently than their interpretation of the Qur'an allows, but to continually poke fun at them and lampoon their prophet during a period where they're finding their own identity within French culture is detrimental and, to indulge myself a little, hideously short-sighted and mean. I am however approaching this issue shortly after a tragic, violent thing that might represent more to other people than my negative associations with the subject of that attack, and could see why this seems frivolous by comparison, so perhaps I'll leave it for a later time from here on out.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 01-13-2015 at 10:50 AM..
01-15-2015, 03:02 AM
moxco
Zappfly

: Dec 2006
: Earth
: 2,794
moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)

What does OWF think of this.

Even if you think the cover is distasteful or offensive, it's obviously newsworthy enough that it warrants showing. To do otherwise is nothing short of terrorist appeasement.
01-15-2015, 03:39 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Pussieeeeeeeeessssss

01-15-2015, 03:41 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Or for once, Fox news isn't out to offend Muslims.

01-15-2015, 03:45 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

I don't know what this has to do with Fox.

01-15-2015, 03:49 AM
moxco
Zappfly

: Dec 2006
: Earth
: 2,794
moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)moxco  (2195)

:
Or for once, Fox news isn't out to offend Muslims.
I suppose our public broadcaster is out to offend muslims then, since they have no qualms with showing it.
01-15-2015, 04:32 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

Oops, Sky I meant. And I really can't speak for your local news' opinion.

01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
MeechMunchie
Sgt. Sideburns

Freedom of speech = Freedom of silence

If Sky wants to, as a company, not show something, that's their right. Freedom of expression entitles you to be heard, not to be supported, or in this instance, broadcast.

01-15-2015, 10:24 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

I don't actually think it's relevant, but for what it's worth: Sky News and Fox News are sister-companies, the same ownership (more or less).

01-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

weeneedtokehlem
01-17-2015, 05:44 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

The religion editor of Charlie Hebdo responds to accusations by a former Hebdo editor that she and the paper are racist. She kicks the butt.