Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

04-18-2004, 06:41 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

My store I shop at is FuncoLand. I don't think they scamed me. Its not like I went and made a deal with some guy off the street. If they were going to scam me then I don't think they would give me a reciept not to mention reordering it twice in two days. Remember I did take my first $10.00 down back then later the next day I went back and changed my mind and reordered it and put $5.00 down. My first order they gave me my money back.

If thats a scam then that has to be the most rediculous unthought scam I have ever seen in my entire life. For crise sake they gave me my money back. If it was a scam I would have never seen that $10.00 again.

I think the problem here is we are too skeptical. We have absolutley no idea what OWI is doing. Only what we know and thats not much. What ever they are doing in secret is our best guess.

04-19-2004, 02:16 AM
mudokon
Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: a nice place
: 85
mudokon  (10)

yep...that's true. It's like big game legends like Soul Calibur 2 and Tekken that are always so hyped up for these games fans when a sequel or prequel is announced. We really don't know what's going on but Usually big game companies like OWI etc...usually let Game chains know about release dates and information so that they can ensure that their game has a start that they need to meet..get me?

04-19-2004, 02:37 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Yeah I get you mann so I know now my name is reserved for Oddworld 4 spite of the fact its temporarely called MO 2. All it means is theres another Oddworld game comming soon and we know what it is.

Paramiteabe...

04-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

:
What ever happened to patience?
I've been being patient since Spectrum, and my patience is now as thin as water. I'm just anxious to get new info.

04-21-2004, 04:05 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

We all are anxious its been what almost two three years since Munch. I think its time for OWI to deliver us their secret game. I can say one thing I commend all of us of our ability to be patient especially being patient for two to three years.

In the middle of May look in X-Box.com for an announcement and possably the official site aswell. Now this is sources from what I hear from Funcoland.

So thats what I am going by.

04-21-2004, 04:26 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Regardless of our impatience, we can't do anything to speed the process up. Bitching and moaning ain't going to help, either.

Didn't it take just as long and longer to get Munch's Oddysee out of publication? Abe's Exoddus was released in 1998, and we were delivered Munch's Oddysee in 2001. Four years! And we haven't even gone three whole years yet waiting for Oddworld 4!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

04-21-2004, 04:30 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

The reason it took 4 years is because they were building an entirely new platform. Now that they have the technology they can build games half that time frame.

04-21-2004, 04:38 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Ah, but they are also creating a completely new engine to run the Stranger series. That takes an awful amount of time, too.

But, as I hinted at, how will bitching and moaning speed up the process? It won't, Oddworld Inhabitants are going to take their time, and thank bloody Gawd. They didn't have enough time to polish Munch's Oddysee, and what we were delivered wasn't what we'd got our hopes up for. They don't owe us anything.

Something that got me thinking was the parallels between the greedy, impatient Khanzumerz, and humans as consumers. Really, we're one of the same. Yet we all seem to despise them, makes you think, huh? (Yes, that was going out on a tangent, but it just hit me when I was about to mention humans as consumers, and our 'rights')

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

04-21-2004, 04:39 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

But Stranger is built on a compeltely new engine, and everything is a brand new design (characters etc), therefore one would expect it to take the same amount of time as MO, if not longer.
I think a major reason for MO taking a long while is the sudden change from PS2 to Xbox that was made...

04-21-2004, 05:24 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Well eather or you can reserve it now and its comming out soon sooner than we think.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 04-21-2004 at 05:26 AM..
04-21-2004, 07:14 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I agree with Alcar. I say OWI should take all the time they need. Here's the thing though...in X-Factor Lorne said that they have to appease their publisher to get the game out on time. Now we know that Microsoft isn't publishing OW4, so we might have to wait a little longer with the publisher move. Since Microsoft isn't publishing, then that might mean Microsoft haulted the money flow for game development. I'm speculating...but I think we might have to wait a little longer.

-oddguy

04-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Volsung
Boombat

: Mar 2004
: At the margins
: 212
Volsung  (33)

:
I agree with Alcar. I say OWI should take all the time they need. Here's the thing though...in X-Factor Lorne said that they have to appease their publisher to get the game out on time. Now we know that Microsoft isn't publishing OW4, so we might have to wait a little longer with the publisher move. Since Microsoft isn't publishing, then that might mean Microsoft haulted the money flow for game development. I'm speculating...but I think we might have to wait a little longer.
Hmm...Maybe the big news Lorne promised us is that Stranger won't come out till next year. Be still my freakin-out heart!

I don't really know the deal. But assuredly we will be informed of publisher status (not publishing date) on the Auspicious day. OWI can, should and probably will take all the time they want on this. After how upset they were over MO I don't think the company would risk another game not meeting their own standards. (Though I thought MO was wonderful--since I didn't have a clue how great it could have been) We'll get what we get when we get it.

EDIT: would microsoft really STOP the money flow? Slow it down maybe, but to stop it completely? Well, Bill Gates is evil. So I guess it works.

Last edited by Volsung; 04-21-2004 at 11:14 AM..
04-21-2004, 07:48 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Remember...I was just speculating. I don't have a clue whether or not Microsoft stopped OWI's moolah flow. We shall find out. I was under the impression when OWI said they had news...that it would be good news. Ah...patience is a virtue.

-oddguy

04-22-2004, 03:33 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

It has to be real close to being finnished and I will tell you why. They are starting to design the illustrations for their advirtiseing campaign. The Polygon magazine Spectrum etc etc thats all advirtisement. Swanland said so himself he was now thinking about the illustraitions he needs to do for the production of their advirtiseing and maketing campaign. Usually in comercial art that means the main product is close to being finnished if not finnished already. And now they have to start the production of the advirtiseing and the post production of the finnished product which will take at least a year.

They are close to being finnished it took them at least three years to design it. Infact I bet they started designing the game before Munch's release during the time of the post production of Munch. Maybe not full fledge designing but Lanning started writeing this well before we knew about it then there was probabally some minor story boarding I bet.

This is how it works.
You start off with a script even in games there has to be writeing to describe the story and whats going on. In film they also at this point start casting.

Then there is the conceptual Story Boarding stage which is called pre production where now they are turning the words into 2D art such as Conceptual designs and story boards and 3D art such as moveing anamatics which are story boards and creating character models or mockets to describe the look and feel of everything.

Then in the third stage its production where all that stuff in the second stage is finalised and put together eather in the actual principal photography or in 3D software such as Miya or Lightwave. This is where all the second stage stuff comes to life and creates a movie or in this case a video game

Then the last stage post production the stage that OWI is in right now. This involves touching up scenes, editing, sound effects, music and designing for advirtisement and mass produceing their product with the publisher.

Four major steps when it comes to makeing a game or a movie. Most projects like this take three years to do. Now with Munch it took a little longer because in post pruduction they decided to change platforms so it took them a little bit longer to rebuild their product because it had to meet the standards of the X-Box not to mention X-Box wasn't even out yet. When they made the switch they made it a launch title. So they couldn't release the game on their original deadline because it was for PS2 launch not X-Box. X-Box wasn't out and it would be another year.

Generally speaking usually in a professional setting such as OWI the pre production and production and even at times post production and pretty much all the stages generally over lap each other to meet certain deadlines. In other words they will start conceptualiseing it while its still being written and when the art is approved they would jump right into production while at the same time pre production is going on. After that piece is produce they would go into some editing with music and sound effect which is part of post production. This cuts time and cost in half and helps the over all timeline of the project. Its 4 steps and roughly three years for a project like this. Think of it like a very complex assembly line in a creative factory. where pieces and parts are in verious stages production.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 04-22-2004 at 03:51 AM..
04-22-2004, 04:53 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

So you think the release is that imminent? When do you think it will drop, earlier than December, maybe? Could it be even later if they are just starting to advertise? When will the first television commercials come out?

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

04-22-2004, 06:22 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

No I think the release will be in Novemeber of this year. They said that they are looking at a late 2004 release. So it is safe to assume that the possible release date of this game will be at the end of this year sometime just in time for Christmas. Thats what I am saying. The television comercials would normally come out around release. You got to look at this as being like all kinds of things are being made at once.

The advirtiseing is a totally different and much much smaller project than the game. I think since OWI is not turning up the notch of hype, their advirtiseing is small. The publisher needs to mass produce the one game and make a billion copies of that finnished game to be sold in stores all over the world. It would take a year to do. I honestly believe they are in post production now. But if I am wrong then it will be another year. But I doubt that a lot. But ya know its only my own prediction. So nothing here is official.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 04-22-2004 at 06:24 AM..
04-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

I guess OWI keeping this game so secretive is for the better. To be honest, If they gave us all this awesome info right off the bat, and there was a problem with the game that called for cutbacks, then it would end up like MO-with our hopes high and our delivery low. Lorne and crew learned from their mistakes, if they give us all the info now (like MO) then there would be very little surprises in the actual finished game. What I just said was quite obvious, but I think it was in order.