Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

06-07-2002, 11:48 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)
Question How do you become fan of the month??

I was just wondering how people become fan of the month on oddworld.com...
06-08-2002, 01:53 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Fans of the Month are selected by Oddworld themselves. There's not really any way you can become one, other than being chosen by them. They usually notice fans that they believe are deserving of that title. I guess they look for people that display a passion and devotion towards Oddworld, and believe in the ideas of the Oddworld Universe.

Oh, and one thing, is to never ask to be a Fan of the Month. That was one thing I was told. That if someone asks (and even if they deserved it), they will not become one. Because the type of person they are looking for to be FOM, is not one who expects they should be.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

06-08-2002, 03:07 AM
Alf
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: Alf's Rehab & Tea
: 109
Alf  (86)

You are correct Abe Babe. We look out for fans who inspire US.
We don't say "Hey, who should be fan of the month this month?" and search for someone to fill that spot. It's usually the opposite.
for example: We recently had 3 fans we wanted to honor and we honored them one at a time. Lantra had to wait a few months!

Sometimes we go months without any fom's. Not because there are no deserving fans, we just need a break.

thanks for asking!

"Follow me" on Twitter or be my Facebook buddy!

06-08-2002, 07:33 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

3 fans?
Lantra
kris
and myself?

I remember I was totally surprised when Alf asked me to be a fan of the month...
I couldn't believe it was true

06-08-2002, 02:01 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

I am curious how Lantra (and some other members here) got to tour OWI. Do you get to do that when you are Fan of the Month or are you guys just lucky? If all Fan of the Monthers get to go to OWI who pays for their plane ticket if they live far away?
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

06-08-2002, 03:04 PM
dumboddrw2
Fuzzle

: scotland
: 122
dumboddrw2  (10)

Don't TRY to be FOTM. Just be a fan and eventually someone will notice that you should be FOTM

06-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I was FOM and I didn't get to OWI
no only 3 fans came in there:
Abe Babe
Pilot
and now Lantra

06-08-2002, 05:48 PM
salty pretzils
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2002
: Fuckyeahistan
: 502
salty pretzils  (21)

sounds cool..
06-08-2002, 05:57 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

Thanks for answering my question, Abe Babe and Alf!
06-08-2002, 06:02 PM
salty pretzils
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2002
: Fuckyeahistan
: 502
salty pretzils  (21)

Thanks for making a intresting topic, MojoMan! I never knew about this Fan Of The month thing before....
06-09-2002, 01:06 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

:
Originally posted by TheKhanzumer
I am curious how Lantra (and some other members here) got to tour OWI. Do you get to do that when you are Fan of the Month or are you guys just lucky? If all Fan of the Monthers get to go to OWI who pays for their plane ticket if they live far away?
In order to get to visit the studios, you must definately be chosen by Oddworld. Only three fans have ever been able to do this, and my understanding is that studio visits are not just granted to any fan (including FOMs). Although I don't really know the criteria that allowed me to visit, I have a feeling that a studio visit requires someone to be a very special fan in their eyes. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but someone who has touched Oddworld Inhabitants in such a way with their devotion, dedication, or story, or maybe something else.

And no, OWI don't pay expenses or airfare, nor would I ever have even considered or expected them to do so. I happened to be in the area on a trip to the US a couple of years ago, thus why I was able to go.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

06-09-2002, 06:56 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

you know what I dream...
A "party" by Oddworld Inhabitants (or in San Louis Obispo)
where OWI invite all the FOM's to have a fun together.
I think no much of the FOM's met each others

of cource it will be during the holliday's and we will pay our ticket ourself.

Isn't that a nice Idee?

I realy want to met:
Alf
Abe Babe
Sydney
Josh Ryan Evans
Tom
Elodie
John
Drew
Justin
Rod (Steel Shark)
Theresa
Kris Kohls
and Lantra

06-09-2002, 08:07 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Woah, I'm still confuzzled. I knew you were travelling to America, Abe Babe, you were sure excited at the time. But how did you actually reach the studios? You were in the area, but were you invited or given permission after asking them? Because your FOM article appeared after your visit.

06-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Alf
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Alf's Rehab & Tea
: 109
Alf  (86)

A fan has never been invited by us to tour the studio. We receive requests from fans from the forums, students, fans of the game, teachers etc. Each request is reviewed and it's determined whether a tour should be granted or not. Sometimes it's just by "luck" and good timing, as we have slow periods and busy periods during production. When we are really busy, we don't allow any non inhabitants in the studio. Actually we prefer fans not to elaborate on their tours as it's a priviledge not a right. So there have been folks who have toured who have never said a word in public about it. Hope this clears up any misconceptions.
Any other questions?

"Follow me" on Twitter or be my Facebook buddy!

Last edited by Alf; 06-09-2002 at 01:58 PM..
06-10-2002, 12:13 AM
atusiya@
JPN-OWF Friendship Contractor

: Mar 2002
: Japan Okayama-city Okayama
: 794
atusiya@  (28)
Oddworld The respect and gratitude

:
Originally posted by Alf
A fan has never been invited by us to tour the studio. We receive requests from fans from the forums, students, fans of the game, teachers etc. Each request is reviewed and it's determined whether a tour should be granted or not. Sometimes it's just by "luck" and good timing, as we have slow periods and busy periods during production. When we are really busy, we don't allow any non inhabitants in the studio. Actually we prefer fans not to elaborate on their tours as it's a priviledge not a right. So there have been folks who have toured who have never said a word in public about it. Hope this clears up any misconceptions.
Any other questions?
Dear Alf
Although we can go to your studio and we will not be able to do, it is not a very important thing.We like "the creation" (be called oddworld itself)which you make.We want to only convey the feeling of respect and gratitude to those" inhabitants" who are making it....
-------------------------------------------------------
the distant distant Far East of Japan
atusiya@'father and my family...
Odd odd oddworld
Is Elum [" Dani Bunten 's M.U.L.E."] spelled backwards?
Abe's Oddyssey Hello Hello ~ Abe's Theme

06-10-2002, 12:34 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

:
Originally posted by Alf
Actually we prefer fans not to elaborate on their tours as it's a priviledge not a right. So there have been folks who have toured who have never said a word in public about it.
Er... sorry Alf if I said anything wrong or that I shouldn't have. I guess I should have left the answer to you, rather than trying to answer it myself.

Although I haven't discussed the details of my visit to anyone other than one person who also visited, it did become public knowledge because it was listed in the FOM article originally, and I got permission to write articles for Oddworld-Web about it (all of which were pre-approved before put online). But if I had been told to keep it quiet, I would have done so also. I can ensure you that I never took my visit for granted, but was actually honored that my request was accepted at the time.

Abe Babe...

06-10-2002, 02:54 AM
Miss Odd
Bola Blast

: Apr 2002
: Australia
: 403
Miss Odd  (10)

Hey cool! Awesome......... Someone wants to meet me Thanks Xavier

.::[Oddworld Online]::.

06-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

:
Originally posted by Alf
So there have been folks who have toured who have never said a word in public about it.
how is that possible?

I tought only 3 fans out here went to the Studios...
now maybe more...