Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)
What Kinds of Video Games do You Like?

In the old forum we had a post about your favorite and worst games... so here's one about the types of games (genres) that you like playing.

I like adventure, RPGs, action and first person shooter games. And some strategy and puzzle games (like Tetris).

There was an old game genre that was around before 3D games as we know them now... they were kinda like a 2D version of a 3D game and would usually involve exploring and trying to get out of a castle, dungeon, etc. I never know what that game genre is called... but I love (and miss) those games.

They look like this...

That's from one of my favorite "classic" games of all time - Head over Heels. If anyone knows the game genre... I'd be grateful.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

i like a mixture of games; action/adventare(ie Banjo Kazooie), puzzle(ie Tetris), some RPG(ie Breath of Fire 3), some first person shooters(ie, Turok, Dino Crisis), space shooters (ie Gradius ), some Strategy(ie Oddworld )

oh and i hate sports games, i really do. The one 'sport' game i would play are the racing types, and there are not that many of those that i would play.

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

04-16-2001, 03:04 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

:
Originally posted by Dragadon:
some Strategy(ie Oddworld )
Funny how I never think of Oddworld as a strategy game... I think of it as more Adventure/Platform. When I think of strategy I usually think of games like Starcraft and Age of Empires. But when you think of it properly, Oddworld is strategy as you have to figure the way to rescue the Mudokons!

I hate sport games too.. I only like a couple like NFL and Hockey. I also hate flight sims with a passion!!!

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-16-2001, 03:20 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I don't play a whole lot of games. It's mainly Oddworld, although I am obsessed with Resident Evil. I like the Survival Horror genre. I also used to have a few sim-type games such as Sim City and Theme Park. They were fun.

Abe Babe, your screenshots conjured up fond memories of my own when I used to play "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" on the Sega Master System. It's the first game I ever played:

04-16-2001, 04:16 PM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

: Tacoma, WA
: 456
Osiris The Fleech  (12)

I like platformers (Rayman 2), city-building games (Pharaoh, Zeus) and strategy games (Starcraft, just look at my sig), and of course ODDWORLD!!

Zorak: You don't want me to play ya to the desk?

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

04-16-2001, 06:22 PM
Haz1
Zappfly

: Ayrshire, Scotland
: 9
Haz1  (10)

I like Oddworld, the Tomb Raider series, and Final Fantasy. I quite like fighting games, but had to give them up due to a tendon injury in my wrist, so I now can't play more than one round without getting the crap beaten out of me. I also hate sport games, any kind of sport.
04-16-2001, 08:27 PM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

RPG Anyday baby!!! I also go for shit like Resident Evil and Oddworld... FFX is all I dream, even more that Munch, *Gasssssp

--Hey, I wanna be a Gabbit Tadpole, screw a mukondon slave...

04-16-2001, 10:04 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

i like strategy like starcraft warcraft. i also like rpgs like abes oddysee.

04-16-2001, 10:11 PM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

I don't really have favourite genre's, I just like a select few games.

First Person Shooter: Quake Series, Unreal Tournament.
Strategy: Starcraft, Starcraft Broodwar
Platform: Oddworld
Adventure: Final Fantasy IX

I also HATE flight sims Abe Babe.
04-16-2001, 10:12 PM
Elum
Spark Stunk

: USA
: 373
Elum  (12)

I am not much of a gamer either. I of course play Oddworld alot, and I like strategy, rpgs, and platforms. Besides Oddworld..I like Diablo 1 and 2 a lot.

04-18-2001, 11:14 AM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)

I like jump& run. Rpg and action adventures. But I dont like puzzles.

04-19-2001, 02:06 AM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

: Australia
: 329
LuxoJr  (10)

I remember those games, Abe Babe. I don't know if anybody here had an Amiga (dawn of classic PC gaming, and home to predecessor of an upcoming Xbox game: Robin Hood, Defender of the Crown), but it had a game by Bullfrog similar to the style of 'head over heels.' Guess it doesn't have a genre name, and was the closest thing to 3D RPG at the time.

Long before people were even talking about realtime graphics, the Amiga was home to a game called 'Virus,' which used polygons to construct its (then) amazing visuals.

Anybody remember the original Populous? Now that was a great game.
04-19-2001, 03:32 AM
Yemmling
Stingbee

: edina, MN
: 82
Yemmling  (11)

rpg's (ff8, chrono cross)
action(soul reaver, oddworld)
coolish stuff(seaman, shenmue)