Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Oddworld RPG

01-31-2003, 01:15 PM
Dominic
Zappfly

: Jan 2003
: Behind you
: 3
Dominic  (10)
Exclamation Some tip's by the tip master...

This is not a bad thing. Newbies are good. We NEED newbies. However, newbies often get discouraged and leave when things don't turn out well.

I've therefore decided to make a half-@$$ attempt at making a difference. Hopefully some newbie out there will see this and think twice about leaving.

(If any non-newbies have anything to add to this, that would be great! Simply post it here for all to see.)

Absolute #1 Rule:

RPGs will fail. That's just the nature of them. In my year of forum-based RPing I have yet to see an RPG reach completion, I think. My first RPG, a Diablo-based multi-writer story of sorts call In Destructions Wake ALMOST reached completion, but then the summer came, vacations happened, etc. etc. and the thing collapsed.

Where was I? Oh yeah...

RPGs don't last forever. They end prematurely all the time. Therefore, don't get discouraged if the RPG you just signed up for vaporizes within a week. Don't get discouraged if your RPG vaporizes within a week. Often times they do, and it's often nobody's fault, really.

#2:

Before deciding to host an RPG, play a number of them first. It doesn't have to be a large number. Just play a few so you have some idea as to how they work. Unless you happen to be unnaturally good (like yours truly ) you would be better off playing in a few RPGs before starting your own.

Role-playing also helps improve your writing skill, which makes you appear as intelligent and creative as you actually are. Good writing can sometimes make the RPG, be it the DM's or the players' writing. Take The Poisoning, my RPG, for example. In the beginning, I won't hesitate to say that my writing SUCKED. However, it managed to skate along on the writing skill of the players.

If you don't want to or can't play in a few RPGs before-hand, at least read them. Most are actually quite entertaining to read. (If you have a dial-up connection, though, load the page and Disconnect, because a lot of them are quite long.)

#3:

When you DO decide to take the leap of faith and become a DM (Dungeon Master, story teller, or writer of the RPG, basically), PLAN AHEAD FIRST.

Get ideas from others. Think up a basic plotline. If you just write stuff off the top of your head with no prior thought, things tend to get messy, and fast. If this means waiting an extra week before starting the RPG, that's fine! The Forum will still be here, and the players will too.

Reading the RPGs of others, or just reading in general should help. I would recommend both books published about WarCraft (Day of the Dragon and Lord of the Clans) if you plan to make your RPG set in the WarCraft universe. The backstories in the manuals are good too. Of course, reading things like Lord of the Rings is a good thing too (there’s at least two parties to follow in there, and lots of little sidequests )

#4:

Timing is actually very important. If you see that there are half a dozen threads with "sign up" in their titles, then it's quite likely that the limited number of players on the forum may be stretched thin by so many. If you decide to start your RPG then, it is entirely possible that nobody can or wants to play in it. Give it a week or so, then try.

#5:

Courtesy is important. Complaints, whining, annoying behaviour... All of these likely will get you a response of simply 'stupid n00b.' If your RPG gets no sign-ups, then it's possible your sign-up came at an inopportune time. Complaining that 'everyone is ignoring you' will actually cause people to ignore you.

All you non-newbies should follow the same rules. If there is a 'stupid n00b,' dispense teachings rather than insults.

Oh, and if it's just a direct thing for one person, then Private Messages are much better than posting in a thread where the person may or may not see it.

#6:

Show your intelligence. Proof-read your work. Write sign-ups and whatnot before-hand in a word processor. WPs come with a handy spell-check feature, and some check your grammar as well.

wen you write dont use runon sentenses or lots of contractions or netspeak and stuff cuz people often dont want to read it and it sometimes gets hard to understand cuz theres no periods or capitals and all that stuff we learnd about in 4th grade k bye.

See? It may work fine in a chatline or over MSN or ICQ. Forums and message boards aren't exactly real-time, though, so you DO have a chance to write properly.

#7:

Ask for help, advice, or guidance. Most people are actually quite willing to give help, as long as you don't DEPEND on them. Ask the seasoned DMs (they’re usually the ones who post threads), or the players (those who post within the threads)... Aw hells, there's so many! Hell, you can even ask me stuff if you want. Use the Private Messaging service to prevent filling up threads with off-topic information, though, or post it on this thread instead.

Non-newbies: Help the newbies. They are what keeps the forum fresh and alive.

Right, that's all the time I have... Please respond to this if you want. Does this help? Am I wasting my time? Do I sound like an arrogant, yet insecure jerk

Anything to add?

01-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Dominic
Zappfly

Dominic  (10)

Anyhoo, I have a second reason for making a post...

TIPS FOR SURVIVING IN THIS FORUM WITHOUT HARSH CRITICISM:

First off: Read the first post in this thread, understand it, and abide by it. The RPG forum is for roleplaying.

Right, I'll move on to help those actually get it...

PLAYERS:

Characters:

READ THE SIGN-UP THOROUGHLY.

Make absolutely sure your character abides by the rules set out by the DM during sign-ups. If they say 'No NE chars' then DON'T submit a Night Elf Druid.

Don't always use the same character every time. Admitedly, there are some long-timers here who consistantly use the same character (*cough* Johono *cough*) but those characters are modified somewhat every time.
You shouldn't just make one character, save everything you've written about him/her/it, and then just copy and paste him/her/it into every RPG you apply for.

If you absolutely MUST use a character you've made before, make sure he/she abides by the rules the DM sets out. If each character starts out at level 1, your Super ArchMage will NOT work. Similarly, make sure you actually adjust the character to fit the system of play employed by the DM.

Try to avoid needless complication. Why make a Half-High, Half-Night Elf character? Why? Just because? Unless you can give a helluva good reason, such things generally don't work out. Similarly, why make characters so completely unorthodox (or stupid) that they cannot possibly fit into the world established by the DM? An orc that pops zits as a weapon, for example?

Must you create your own species? Do the ones already established (or implied) by the DM not cut it? Making up new ones tends to be quite difficult to do well, as I'm sure many would attest to. You have to do a LOT of good writing or risk being one-dimensional and forgetable. Try just pushing the envelope, instead of breaking entirely from it. Try, say, a Kobold or Gnoll character, instead of a Kasredf'lhhgs character. Don't ask me what a Kasredf'lhhgs is, because I honestly don't know.

If you absolutely must play an original species, it helps to stick to what I call 'TLTAOH':

TWO LEGS, TWO ARMS, ONE HEAD.

Also, try and fit the character into the established setting. Would a Martian (as in, somebody from Mars) fit into a WarCraft game? Likely not.

If you MUST play a gelatinous cube that slithers about and dissolves stuff, then at least try and make him/her/it able to communicate and interact with his/her/its fellow party-members. If it has to swallow something just to say 'I'm going to the bathroom, be back in a sec,' then there's a problem. Darkest likely knows what I'm talking about.

Most DMs ask for the history or backstory of your character. Please, please, please, for the lovaPete, do not start off with 'Little is known about this character.' That is just so cliche! So Already-Been-Done-Too-Many-Times-Over. Being an 'enigma' isn't cool, it's lazy! We don't care what OTHER people know about the character. We care about what the character knows about him/her/itself. Amnesiatic characters don't usually work out, either.

Don't just put something into your character (a trait, special ability, habit, etc.) just because it's 'cool'. Characters that take directly from other things that are cool at the time tend to be one-dimensional unless the creator is REALLY good with his/her writing. It usually just shows that you've created this character on a whim and don't particularly care for it, which leads to the question 'If he/she doesn't care for the character, how can they care for the game?'

Dungeon Masters:

Just one at the moment (it IS 1:20 in the bloody morning, here...)

Try not to start out the whole thing with the stereotypical 'You're all in a tavern. Some guy comes in and needs help / announces something / attacks. Try to vary it, somehow.

02-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Dominic
Zappfly

Dominic  (10)

So, no comment's?