thread: What next?
View Single Post
11-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Phoetux
Riot Slug

: Aug 2016
: Joe's Pizza
: 559
Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)Phoetux  (881)
Arrow What next?

As many people noticed, the oddworldforums.net domain is no longer accessible to the public, unless you use DNS shit. But the forums are still up and accessible with the owforums.net domain.
However, there's still one problem.

:
>Checking system...
>. . .
>Zulag One operational
>. . .
>Zulag Two operational
>. . .
>Zulag Three operational
>. . .
>Zulag Four operational
>Checking battery...
>. . .
>Warning: there is not enough power to support the forums any longer.
>Predestination of expiration date in progress...
>. . .
>Predestination complete.
>Expiration date of the forums: 2021.02.09.
>Please select the fate of the forums:

Imagine getting this screen of code, like you're at the final stage of Resident Evil 3 (I think the quote is obvious, right?). We know that the site will expire on February 9, 2021, and since it's not easy to talk about it in the discord server let's try here (even though, I don't know if any of the people who aren't even on Discord are still here lurking):
When the day of expiration comes, what should we do next?
Let the forums die forever and stick with discord servers and subreddits whenever we want to talk about Oddworld and with the friends we made on the path?
Or try to create new forums and bring on the legacy of OWF?

Even if Oddworld isn't really in a same shape of other game franchises, especially after the release of New n Tasty and many other things, most of the veteran and new fans have been hanging on the release of Soulstorm. Some decided to forget the franchise after the EGS decision, some say that Soulstorm will be no different from the disaster that NnT has been, others hope that Soulstorm might be the last chance of Oddworld.
And some people tend to exaggerate and say that Soulstorm will be the title that will bring so much success that it will even resurrect Fangus but that's less likely.

Either way, we have to consider one thing. Something that I tried to bring up in the discord server:
If Soulstorm is actually a success when it comes out, and opens a new path to the Franchise, could something like the forums be alive again and begin a new age for it?
Now we know that oddworld forums will eventually fade away if no one pays for it or upgrades the site, but we could still make another new forums. Basically Oddworld Forums 2.

We discussed about this many times here, but the date of expiration was still far. Now it's not.
So it's time to talk about this. For real. And without any trolling or irony, if possible.

Last edited by Phoetux; 11-18-2020 at 02:23 PM..