View Single Post
03-30-2019, 01:34 PM
Michael
Bola Blast

: May 2010
: Birmingham, England
: 409
Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)Michael  (531)

I suppose there's a difference between the style of the characters now. Toby's eyes seem a bit strange to me too, I did find it jarring as soon as I saw his eyes go super wide.

The classic mudokon design was pretty simple. They had huge bug eyes with almost chameleon-like eyelids. Most of their emotion therefore came from manipulating these lids. Rather than frowning with a brow, which they lacked for the most part, the eyelids would be used like a brow to do the same job. And the result was something quirky but still understandable. The reason their eyes appeared to stretch at times in the past was due to the lids opening super wide (often asymmetrically).

What we have with this new and more realistic style, is an increased focus on showing emotion. This was a point Lorne made specifically, even regarding the Gluks and their more human eyes this time. As far as Muds go, their facial structure has developed - there's greater consideration for bone structure, especially around the eyes and jaw. As a result, they now have a brow, to increase the range of emotion they can display, presumably in a more realistic way than solely using eyelids.

Having looked again, it seems like Toby's wide eyed look is achieved by doing everything at once. The new brows move considerably, the lids open wide, and it does look like the eyeballs stretch though I'll admit it's not as much as I had thought. Mostly, it's the brows and eyelids. If anything, it seems like it's not the eyes stretching that's the issue, it's his brow moving so much. By comparison, Alf's brow movements are much more subtle.