thread: Small Worlds
View Single Post
04-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Changed the first and last stanzas; won't edit but I'll post them here, so you can see which you like.

In Lauren’s lullaby
There is a princess
On the turrets of a tower,
Looking down on rolling hills that reach
To sun-bright horizons.
There are forests of wolves,
Mountains of ice
And somewhere is a knight
In shining armour
On a white horse
Who looks for her and doesn’t know it.
She wears a scarlet dress and
Hides feathers and secrets from the witch who guards her
And she waits.

And the last...

In Lauren’s lullaby
There are promises and stories
Older than the sun and younger than
The flowers that blossom for a day.

Not happy with that last line, but I like it better than the previous version, I think. Really need to get that final line right; I don't think it'll be about flowers eventually. That's like the tenth draft of that stanza and it's between shapes right now, as it were.

Having said the poem's structureless, it actually has to feel right. I can't change one word without changing the shape of the whole line, and I can't change the line without adjusting the lines around it. There are definitely rules for the structure that the poem follows; I just don't know any of them (or ever will, probably). Writing is more like driving a train than driving a car or a plane; I can control many things but ultimately I don't decide (or often even know, so maybe it's like driving a train while drunk) where I'm going.

I've also written the story described in the poem about the swan, so I'll post that soon. It's probably not exactly what you're expecting (it's not what I was expecting, anyway).

Last edited by Splat; 04-29-2011 at 04:30 PM..