View Single Post
01-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2001
: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

I'll agree on that one. Sliguy101... What ARE you on about? If you talk in monosyllables, you probably won't even get as far as getting published, unless you're writing for a four-year-old. The length of word you use doesn't govern the saleability of your book - the story, the grammar, and the style all count. If you can't use grammar for beans, and a person really has to WORK to understand the story, the publisher/agent won't even LOOK at it until you've got it cracked, even if you have to fork out a few thousand and get it properly proofed. Don't say "but it's my styyyyleee!" because that's pretty much kiss-of-death, like in art: "you need to work on your anatomy" - "but it's my styyyyleee!". "Style" is not an excuse to be crap.

But then you can go the other way - people try and be "clever" and use "alternative words" for things, like instead of "ears" write "auricles", and instead of "black" write "ebon". Now, if you're Poe, it can work, but if you aren't, why not just call an ear an ear?