02-21-2022, 06:41 PM
crimsonxking
Thudslug

: Jun 2007
: Nasuverse
: 177
crimsonxking  (127)crimsonxking  (127)

Oddworld: Soulstorm depresses me.

I waited like six years for the game that I was sure would finally spark the love I had for this series as a kid and all I got was the bitter realization that the people left at Oddworld Inhabitants don't understand what actually made the original two games good.

The worst part is that I can see the attempt to address complaints about New 'n Tasty, so it's not like they don't care. I think they legitimately made the best game they could that would satisfy fans of the series. And it sucked.

It's a bad remake of Abe's Exoddus. It's a bad spiritual successor to the classic two games. It's a bad new direction for the series. The writing is terrible. The tone is all over the place. The gameplay is repetitive, annoying, bloated, and boring. Legitimate puzzle rooms have been replaced with crafting items and throwing them around like an idiot. Every location looks the damn same. Somehow the game makes the same mistakes about Mudokon followers that Munch's Oddysee made two damn decades ago.

Oddworld will never be good again. The world, characters, and series we imagined long ago will never be brought to life. I'm an adult now, an entirely different person than I used to be. I thought for a brief moment that I could somehow go back to a life I left behind just for one game, re-experience a joy I haven't felt in ages. But no, it's dead. And maybe it should be, for real. This should probably just be the end of Oddworld. They haven't been able to get it right once since the PS1. Stranger's Wrath was alright as a weird spin-off but every attempt to bring Abe forward has been trash.

also anime sucks lmao