View Single Post
11-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Doublehex
Zappfly

: Jun 2005
: North Carolina
: 14
Doublehex  (10)

As someone who is currentley writing a Sc-Fi novel,and an expierenced writter in general, here are some tips I can throw out to you guys:

Villians - Give them a misson In the day of Tolkien (may-he-rest-in-pace-God-bless-him) it was allright to have a villian be pure evil, with his/her only motive being to take over the world.But DO NOT godown that route, I beg of you! Instead, give them a reason. Instead of making them go 'Ooooo,I'm evil!' go 'This is what's right!'. Make them complexing villians, with a personality, a history, likes and dislikes, etc. In short terms, make them realistic.

Give Heroes Flaws As much as we would like it, there is no such thing as a perfect hero. Even in Marvel Comics, their superheroes have flaws. So, give you're heroes flaws. One example is a character in my novel: he's the leader of the Resistance, and general cliche would make you think he's a wise man. Well...he's not! He dosen't know combat tactics...his robotic hand isn't made of chrome,isn't all shiny and crap. It's rusted, dirty and oily, and keeps falling apart. He's addicted to drugs too. But he has heart, wants to help people, and that is why he's a hero...with a hell lot of flaws.