View Single Post
07-24-2021, 09:46 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
I dunno, I think hate seems like a pretty strong reaction. I've not personally played Soulstorm myself yet, but having watched pretty much an entire casual playthrough it doesn't seem like a game that's going in a direction I personally care for. I can see why they've changed what they've changed, but it doesn't feel like the sequel I wanted.
The issue for me isn't what they changed. A lot of the mechanics could work well if they were tuned and balanced right. The problem is that the levels seem too trial-and-errory rather than making you feel smart by solving a puzzle. And you have to do certain bits over and over again; it becomes a game of repeating every move perfectly while hoping that the random number generator pushes the enemies around in just the right timing that you can get through. And then you do that again, and again, because the levels are long and repetitive. It just isn't... fun.

Oh and it's okay that the dialogue is unintelligible due to poor sound mixing because it's also unnecessary because they're usually describing what's immediately in front of you on the screen. And then they repeat it three times.