View Single Post
04-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

: Aug 2007
: classified
: 167
Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)

I haven't got far in the game by now but here are my initial impressions.

What I like:
- The cinematics and character design. There's much attention to detail, as always.
- The scenery is nice. The deep canyon terrain makes the vertical platform-based level more natural. I also like that Monsaic lines appear to be a part of a larger ancient city. However, it was somewhat strange that there were no paramite or scrab statues in the initial Monsaic level.
- The crafting system seems to be okay. It does bring novelty to the game process.

What I don't like:
- Many bugs. Certain objects get stuck mid-air (missiles from the blimb, stun mines), sligs have shot through floor a couple of times, some slap-mines (UXB's) are glitchy (slapping a mine deactivates another right next to it).
- I've bought a PC version and it looks like the port was made in a big rush. The biggest offence is that it does not allow to re-map controls in a proper way. You can't re-map shift, alt and ctrl buttons as well as the mouse. I'm more used to the old-stype controls so I'd like to map throwing to keyboard, use shift for running and alt for sneaking.
- At certain points it looks like the game wasn't playtested enaugh gameplay-wise. It mostly becomes apparent when dealing with the sligs. They tend to get 'stuck' in certain positions that makes it impossible to proceed without restarting. And there's no way to make them move. Chanting does not always work (they start to scuttle around and then return to same exact positions). I thought trowing stuff would distract them and make them go inspect the noise but it does not work (at least with the bottles).

Making it possible to distract a slig by throwing stuff without being noticed will be very nice.

I also agree with STM that it should be possible to disable the meta-game info. It's really immersion-breaking.

I hope these issues are going to be corrected further on. Especially the controls - it really breaks the game.

Other thoughts: the ladder-climbing sections seem to be ridiculously difficult to complete without a body count but maybe that's just me being a noob. It's also worth adding a brief specification for the difficulty levels.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 04-07-2021 at 02:47 PM..