View Single Post
04-05-2014, 09:42 AM
DarkHoodness
Page 7, Post 199

: Apr 2001
: In a box.
: 3,438
DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)

This confuses me 'cause I wasn't seeking argument, only sharing thoughts through discussion. Sorry about my posts not being clear (or something). I don't think you're wrong, and I even agreed with you when I said that the easier to unlock ships are a compromise for how unfair FTL was.

I think what I'm trying to say is that, for me, even though the chances of finding ship unlock quests was random and therefore "unfair", I found that it increased FTL's longevity because it gave me a reason to keep "trying my luck" (maybe a little like gambling?). Perhaps part of the reason I could do that over a long time without getting bored is because FTL is one of the rare sort of games I can play while doing other things (like watching TV/waiting for dinner to cook), so I appreciated the extra "challenge".

I'll also elaborate what I meant when I talked about "skill" earlier: If one learns FTL's tactics so that they win fights and progress further, and head to race/faction-specific homeworld sectors when they appear on the map, it doesn't make finding the quests any less random or unfair, but it does increase their chances of finding them.

But at the same time I can perfectly understand why that didn't appeal to others, your opinion isn't wrong, and as I said in my last post: If the change makes the game more fun for people, than that's fine. When I said "I'm wondering if that makes things a little too easy" earlier, it was more of a thought, and not a complaint. (And besides that, I've already unlocked everything, so it doesn't make a difference to me. People can play games how they like, in whatever way they find fun.)

Last edited by DarkHoodness; 04-05-2014 at 09:45 AM..