View Single Post
04-08-2021, 01:46 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

:
The music is actually by Josh Gabriel, who composed Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. A scheduling conflict forced Bross to drop out very early into the project.

Although I do somewhat agree that Soulstorm's music is lacking the pumping intensity that AO, AE & Stranger's Wrath had, I think this was an intentional decision to modernise the game and make it feel more like a contemporary movie, which have by and large ditched melodic musical scores and looped samples in favour of heavy droning tracks.

However, the title screen music is particularly haunting, and really brings a new layer of sadness to Oddworld that I don't think we've felt before in the franchise (despite the groundwork being there.)

It's encouraging that so far at least, Lorne appears to have ultimate faith in the emotional weight of his IP now, and no longer feels the need to undercut the series's heavier tones with cartoonish humour - This feels like Oddworld 2.0. The Oddworld I've been waiting for since the Art Book teased the lore's full potential, and I'm loving it!

That's a good point about the music to be fair, and I didn't know that they brought Josh back. I suppose they are going for a more cinematic feel, I know this is the general direction games are going now but I do feel it's a bit of a shame. Still, it's a creative decision and I can respect that.