View Single Post
02-08-2014, 02:11 PM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

just quickly on the subject of gangster movies for anyone who may care: people need to watch Donnie Brasco and A Bronx Tale, if you haven't already. both of them aren't that heavily involved in the gangster side of things, but that isn't to say it doesn't dominate each film. they're both pretty well done, albeit somewhat dated, and it pains me to say that because it was the fucking 90's. that wasn't that long ago, man.

Donnie Brasco is more of a love story but like i said the gangster theme still dominates it. it's Johnny Depp so what do you expect. also Al Pacino and Michael Madsen and a few other faces you might recognise. it's cool. some fucking dodgy scenes though, i laughed at a few things i shouldn't really have laughed at. to be honest it isn't brilliant, but i'm glad i watched it. you mainly need to see it for the latter two actors i mentioned.

A Bronx Tale is kind of the same in that it concentrates more on the life and decisions of a boy growing up in the Bronx (fucking obviously), his attentions constantly moving between his hard-working honest dad and a local mafia crimeboss called Sonny. directed by Robert De Niro and written by Chazz Palminteri (they're both in it too). i don't expect you to know who the fuck Chazz is, but i reckon you'll remember after watching this. he portrays Sonny as having a cold-blooded exterior but with an almost firm-but-fair kind of rule, and he does it fucking well. this film, in contrast to the previous, is fucking great and you really should watch it. i'll vouch for that. and there's a surprise appearance right at the end, but i'm giving no spoilers and i suggest you don't spoil it for yourselves.

anyway they're both good, and often overlooked.

i said "quickly". i lied.

Last edited by MA; 02-08-2014 at 02:13 PM..