View Single Post
03-28-2016, 06:32 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

in no particular order:

Morrowind. i think it's the best Elder Scrolls game out of the lot. it's the very definition of 'open world' and i can still find new shit i've never found before when i play it. i've never even gotten close to completing the majority of it. also: the Morrowind map is actually smaller than Oblivion's, which is surprising considering most people that have played both games assume Morrowind is larger. just goes to show it's not how big you make a game that makes a good immersive game, it's what you put in it. and Morrowind has a fuck-load of stuff in it, more than Oblivion. fuck Oblivion, i really didn't dig it. never even played Skyrim either, never really wanted to.

Call Of Duty 2 i like because it doesn't rely heavily on long cutscenes or drawn-out storylines. i mainly enjoy it because it's a pretty accurate WW2 combat simulator (unlike most of the following WW2-based CoD games) and i've been slightly obsessed with WW1 & 2 weaponry since i was a kid.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, my favourite out of all the Oddworld games. maybe because it holds a lot of nostalgia for me, i dunno. also i prefer the atmosphere in AO, things seemed grittier and more dangerous. even your buddies (the mudokon natives in Monsaic Lines) would kill you outright with a slingshot if you tried messing with them. it's a very unforgiving world and a lot more 'no nonsense' than AE, for example, which was a hell of a lot more jokey and light-hearted. plus the Stockyards/Free-Fire Zone are my absolute favourite areas, the ambience is mysterious and haunting and there are fucking dead mudokons impaled on spikes. you don't get anything as dark as that in AE. fucking cool, man.

Medieval: Total War 1 & 2, not for the battle simulator, but for the management side of the gameplay. i don't bother with the real-time battle simulator if i ever enter combat, i usually select 'resolve battle automatically' when playing the game and concentrate on managing my country and taking over the world or whatever my agenda is. stats play a big part so if you go around executing all the prisoners you capture, you'll earn dread points. if you sell your captives, you'll earn extra gold. if you release them without any charge, you'll earn chivalry points or something (i can't quite remember). all of these things can unlock other possibilities/stats for you to expand on too. you also have stats for your generals and family members like loyalty, acumen, piousness etc, meaning people can betray you if their loyalty is low and you don't keep an eye on them. you can hire assassins, merchants, priests, marry off your daughters if you have any to try and solidify alliances, it's so cool. it's a better medieval simulator than Mount & Blade, for instance.

there are more games but that'll do, pig. that'll do. this post is long enough.

:
Seriously, the best game is I have no mouth, and I must scream.
i've never played the game but i fucking love the short story. Harlan Ellison is a crotchety old fucker but i can't help but love him and his writing style.
:
Since those settlements Ellison has initiated legal action or takedown notices against more than 240 people who have allegedly distributed his writings on the Internet, saying, "If you put your hand in my pocket, you'll drag back six inches of bloody stump".

Last edited by MA; 03-28-2016 at 06:35 AM..