View Single Post
04-24-2021, 12:13 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

: Aug 2007
: classified
: 167
Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)

:
As much as I kinda expected it to be NNT 2 it is a bit sad seeing people so disappointed with this game.

I'm honestly just wondering what happened during development, seems like so much stuff got cut, which is crazy considering the timespan between NNT and this.

Side note, I think it's funny that they clearly did not really test it with keyboard much at all despite it having a PC release. There's no UI for it (not a bug, it's literally not there) and changing to tranquilizer darts isn't even bindable (from what I heard). Totally bizarre to be honest!
I actually like Soulstorm far more than N'n'T despite of my remarks above. Almost completed the game by now and it's been genuinely fun and challenging with just a couple of over-the-top moments. But indeed, it's very interesting to know the reason for such poor testing. Was the game developed by a team of three people or so?

That aside, I think there are some peculiar plot points to discuss. The first one is that the industrialists are explicitly shown to be generally unaware of mind control except for some sligs who witnessed it first hand. However, all the facilities are equipped with lots of chant supressors. What for, I wonder?

The second point is about the mudokons' place in Oddworld society. The media peddles outrage about the murder of 300 mudokon workers and the Brewmaster mentions, among other things, that the brew will prevent escapees from contacting the labor unions. On the other hand, Molluck planned to openly sell mudokon meat products. Does it mean that the mudokons are publicly viewed basically as draft animals, albeit more intelligent ones?