thread: COVID-19
View Single Post
08-25-2020, 06:56 AM
MA
DOES NOT COMPUTE

: Nov 2007
: shit creek
: 5,106
MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)MA  (9593)

:
I shouldn't derail the topic too much, but knowing how physically addictive those substances can be, combined with the social pressure to at lest try them (if only once, and I suppose we all know it doesn't end at the first try), I don't put it into a whole different realm of choice than the choice to go out less often during the pandemic, wearing protective gear like visors when you do, disinfecting hands (and then face) when you go back.
well it doesn't matter what realm you put them in, they're two completely different things. you're comparing a contagion that we do not have a vaccine for, that has the capacity to kill you, with smoking and drinking (and DUI for some weird reason). that's like comparing space travel with a baboons arse. they do not correlate. smoking and drinking is more of a long-term potential issue that stems from addiction and drug abuse, and usually begins voluntarily, and it's not friggin contagious. can't you see how that completely contrasts with a pandemic? maybe you should stop defending points that are invalid, because your comparison does not work. would you like to drag this out some more or can we move on?

:
And I don't mean it in a way to diminish the pandemic's importance (it's a big issue), but rather highlight the other deadly problem more than it is being highlighted.
i don't know if i'm misreading you here, but are you saying that smoking-related deaths are 'the other deadly problem'? during a pandemic? i mean, i have to ask because that seems too stupid to be the case. i'm hoping i'm wrong.

:
Out of curiosity: Can you resuscitate a person without a risk of contracting the virus yourself? (I'm assuming mouth-to-mouth resuscitation is necessary). Some sort of mechanical plastic pumps?
you can use a resuscitation bag to keep someone breathing without physically performing mouth-to-mouth, therefore DNR orders raise red flags.

:
I understand feelings of empathy towards the elderly, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the government deliberately wants any of the country's population dead.
hah. good one, varrok. i'm sure all they want is world peace and free love and money for the poor. building a wheelchair ramp for tiny tim is high on their list of priorities.

that's me being cynical.