thread: COVID-19
View Single Post
08-25-2020, 12:33 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

:
you can't compare the fatalities of covid with that of cigarettes and alcohol, that makes no sense. people willingly smoke and drink, and both are addictive. of course their death tolls are going to be higher. people aren't willingly contracting corona. if there was 7 million people dying from covid i think we would be royally fucked.
The reason I showed those statistics is to show the scale of the problem. Although I don't share Dixanadu's emotional indifference (if you could call it that) towards the virus problem, he doesn't strike me as incorrect when he says there are avoidable things that kill more people than COVID-19.

:
We do - that's why there are drinking guidelines, health warnings on cigarette packets and a highway code (and DUI laws). But this has nothing to do with covid-19.
Living near the alley of pubs, I can safely say it's as effective as our COVID-19 prevention.

:
Cynical though I often am, in this instance, it seems justifiable that a novel coronavirus which has just swept the Earth, impacting not only people's direct health but also reshaping the economy and thereby affecting people's domestic and working lives, receives regular media coverage. I don't think it's just for a few extra clicks...
It is far from me to expect mainstream news outlets to have anything other (such as getting people well informed about things around them) than their own financial benefit as their top priority. I suppose I'm more cynical then.