thread: The Future
View Single Post
06-18-2020, 11:07 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

I use Discord for a reading group, and to catch up with Phylum every six months. I think that Nate & Co. did an absolutely stellar job here of keeping things relatively well functioning and to-the-point over the years. The Discord server is fucking lawless, and I struggle to keep up with instant messenger with more than one person these days. I'm glad the community lives on in some form, but to be honest I miss the old clique more than anything, and I don't think Discord will recreate that.

OWF was great. I used to log on of a morning and spend ages reading through everyone's posts. I know to an extent I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses, but the fact that it took a few minutes to a few hours to get a reply to something sort of meant that the quality of people's posting seemed to be better, I guess? On a whole, anyway. I think it's fair to say that I wasn't the most loved person for the first few years I was on here (no shit, I was like 12 lol), but I'm really glad that I stuck with it because I think I developed some real, powerful and lasting friendships. Again, I've not seen that sort of closeness and camraderie transferred over to the Discord.

I will lament OWF's passing, but I'm so fucking glad I found this place. I think it's the first internet community I joined, and by far it was the best.