View Single Post
09-05-2019, 07:17 PM
kjjcarpenter
Boombat Seeker

: Apr 2005
: Sydney, Australia
: 642
kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)kjjcarpenter  (748)

:
I mean Lorne's not really anti-capitalism if you listen to interviews with him. Particularly as he plays the entertainment product game. Perhaps he doesn't buy into Epic Game Store fraud/immoral practices/spyware stuff or a lot of the anti-Epic rhetoric? I mean he went Microsoft exclusive, put SoBe in his game, promoted other indies in NnT. Oddworld puts a light on how corporations and excessive greed is literally destroying and exploiting our planet and its indigenous populations for the sake of pure profit. I don't think whatever anti-consumer story you wanna ring outta the Epic debate really touches that. Seems like small potatoes crap and clearly Lorne isn't into it that much.

I mean, I guess? fuck I dunno the guy.

EDIT: Also don't yell at me Nep or say I'm wrong. Or anyone else. I don't want you to.
But you’re not wrong. As you say, Lanning was never anti-consumerism; he was anti-exploitation. Hence why the argument about the billboards in NNT being against the “Oddworld philosophy” was about as air-tight as a screen door with holes in it.

That being said, I trust Lanning about as far as I can throw him. He’s a great talker, but at the end of the day, he’s a businessman. Whether or not he’s lying through his teeth half the time, or is simply far too idealistic, I’ve accepted that he probably would have been better off becoming a politician than a storyteller.

Last edited by kjjcarpenter; 09-06-2019 at 12:12 AM..