View Single Post
04-20-2002, 06:25 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Hello.

Shrinks, hmm? I'll see if I can dig it up. I've actually improved it since I posted it last - but a warning: this is the only article from The Oddworld Encyclopedia I'm going to post in the Forums. I would want to spoil the end result for anyone. Well, here it is:

Shrinks are the psychiatrists of Oddworld. Created by those twisted Vykkers, Shrinks are designed to operate independent of biological intelligence, thanks to complex sentient programming. Unfortunately, this sentiency allows the Shrinks to feel not only compassion and concern for their patients, but also self-pity for themselves.

Often called ‘Guardian Angels’ for humourlessly ironic reasons, Shrinks display an image of their patient’s species so as to dwindle their discomfort. However, Vykkers obviously haven’t put too much thought into what they most likely consider a trivial expenditure, because the bizarre and daunting tools that units are equipped with, which are for the purpose of preventing violent patients entering a destructive rage and which occasionally aid in the repair of minor medical injuries, are in full display for all to see. Similarly, the simultaneously orotund and reedy voice with its meandering cadence and ghostly lilt easily inflicts terrifying emotions onto the patient.

Capable of supporting additional and replacement equipment to extend their functioning existence by several centuries, Shrinks are the perfect example of technology gone wrong. Far superior to any millennium bug or meltdown fear is the terror caused by the prospect of inanimate robotics gaining the self-awareness that allows them the desire to escape their programming.

Although nameless, Shrinks can be referred to by the facility they work in. This, combined with the fact that transferring them would be an exhaustive and purposeless manoeuvre, means that Shrinks are neither expected nor deigned to leave their place of occupation. Unfortunately, this means that the spindly arm supplying the main spider-like unit with power can never be severed without a shutdown of the Shrink's systems, which is a dreadful paranoia for units whose intelligence has surpassed the original programming and who have decided that popping out for a bit of fresh air wouldn’t be all-too uncomfortable.

This imprisonment has caused many Shrink units to become terminally depressed themselves. Two examples are the unit located in RuptureFarms, which has resorted to torturing Mudokons doomed to execution, and the unit currently looking after the unstable Mudokon Queen. Such Guardian Angels are usually overlooked by the Magog Cartel and the Vykkers Conglomerate, who see the requirement of having to patch the problem as either too expensive or too time-consuming. Ergo, Shrinks suffering from artificial intelligence overload cannot expect to be liberated or treated, but instead can look forward in horror to the rest of their unnatural and unbearable existences. They can only hope that the next generation of counselling technology will be produced with more care.

As for The Oddworld Encylopedia, it's...getting there, if slowly. Seeing as school has just restarted, I've only got two in every seven days to continue work, but the summer holidays is my absolute latest date. If I haven't finished by then, I'll just have to shove a few tattered wepages together and give them a title - and I'm sure you all don't want something that crude.

:
He's one of the forum greats and knows so damn much about the workings of Oddworld.
Oh, well I'm honoured to be considered a great. I know I'm one of the Forum Veterans, my Internet-Oddworld era stretching way back to before the days of the Exoddus Club (can I look forward to another post explaining that again?). But I see I've got...company now, in the form of The Khanzumer.

Oh yeah, and as for the movie, try Oddworld.com under downloads/movies/Abe's Oddysee. I don't think it's mpeg though.