View Single Post
01-15-2016, 11:27 PM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

: Sep 2008
: Rock bottom
: 4,911
Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

Keeping on the Verhoeven kick, I watched Basic Instinct. It's an interesting movie to discuss, and I don't really know how I feel about it.

The movie does some really cool stuff. Some scenes have nice camera work, or fun dialogue. The main character had interesting traits. There were genuinely engaging and quirky moments.

The famous interrogation scene was fun. It was stupid and threw my suspension of disbelief out the window, but I thought it was entertaining. Where was she putting all of those damn cigarettes?

I think the thing I enjoyed about this movie was that the main character was basically on a rail. He just didn't give a fuck about his life, and let himself play the game. The buildup to him being the unstable "shooter" paid off in a cool way.

I'm glad I watched Basic Instinct after Robocop and Total Recall, because it's a similar kind of dumb. The difference is that this movie sets out to be more, and doesn't benefit from the crazy extreme characters in the same way an action movie does. Stone's character was just too much of a Manic Crazy Temptress Lesbian, and I didn't think I'd ever say those words.

I don't rate it well, but I enjoyed it. I won't be watching it again.