View Single Post
01-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

:
Anyway, I'm not too informed or familiar with the paper to really make my own opinion. But I'm gravitating towards discussions trying to explain Charlie Hebdo in the wake of racist accusations.
I'm really on the same page.
The most specific terminology I could use for what bothers me about Charlie Hebdo is Anti-Islamic. I'm drawing my own conclusions by calling them racist, and perhaps that doesn't belong in this discussion, so I'll excuse myself from criticizing the mag any more or accusing them of being various 'ists'.
I'm going to repost part of something I just posted on STM's wall:
"If we could have this conversation without lumping Islam into the same category as Extremism and holding Liberal (more accurately: moderate) Muslim Clerics responsible for the actions of what I don't think qualify as their constituents or followers, this could purely be about the tragedy of a dozen people being gunned down in cold blood. But it was too quickly used as an excuse to condemn Islam across social media, and that's terrible."
Now, obviously no one has posted outright Anti-Muslim hatespeech on OWF. actually I might have at some point. Not sure, just putting the possibility out there.
And really the closest thing to was The Amazing Atheist's Amazing Ignorance, but there's a common thread I've seen (not exclusive to) but primarily from Western posters on various media making assumptions about Islam and Muslims as a whole that are simply incorrect, but worse are being corroborated by popular media.

Last edited by Mac Sirloin; 01-10-2015 at 09:24 AM..