View Single Post
01-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

:

I think you're one of the few who gave me an impression that they think that.
Well, didn't mean to. It would be ridiculous to call someone on OWF an Oddworld hater unless they were so bitterly disillusioned with all games, past and present, and wouldn't stop talking about how terrible the series is and how everyone sucks for liking it.

I've disagreed with you a bunch but it's just because I argue too much in general. Apologies. But stop being such a hater, seriously.

:
I'll note right here that upon further research, the Homophobia label is ungrounded and incorrect. I'll fix my posts indicating such, but it was the impression I got from several of their cartoons.

I just can't look at it as good satire. I think I'm pretty intelligent when it comes to being satirical, its the one form of Comedy I've really stuck with and educated myself about, and Mohammed with his dick and balls hanging out with his butthole in the shape of a star and 'A star is born' captioned is a really inexplicably offensive image to me. And on its own its funny because of the ridiculousness of it--it's just that the everyday operations of Charlie Hebdo seemed to foster that image as an appropriate method of addressing and satirizing Muslims.
Not all, but definitely enough to get it published, of the staff at Charlie Hebdo must have harbored some pretty Xenophobic views that seem very extreme and inappropriate, in my opinion.

Here's an example of how the crew old white dudes at Charlie Hebdo let some anti semitism slip through the cracks a few years back.
Two things are important to note here:
A) They fired this guy, only after he refused to publish a retraction.
B) He had a history of making hateful statements about Judaism long before this. (From a 1982 Interview)
" 'Yes, I am anti-Semitic and I am not scared to admit it... I want all Jews to live in fear, unless they are pro-Palestinian. Let them die.' "

Charlie Hebdo seemed to act as a hugbox for confused men to espouse views like this. I don't think it was good satire, I think it was a lot of hate getting a free pass.
I did hear of the Charlie Hebdo guy who was fired from this interesting cartoon.

I mean from what little I've read about them I don't think whether their satire is good or not is terribly important. Certainly some of their images are very crude. That Muhammed one in particular, although very crude, I don't think can be described as racist. The newspaper certainly seem like a very anti-religion newspaper and perhaps there's a fine line between criticising religion and criticising religious people that gets blurry and, perhaps, tasteless.

Although, looking into the context of a that Boko Haram cartoon it seemed like pretty good satire. And the image of extremists beheading Muhammed himself was quite good too. Maybe it's the fact that caricatures, by their nature, exaggerate. That, when addressing Islamic extremism or the negative aspects of Islam the look of most of their leaders (turban and beard) becomes the go to image. But you'd see the same image addressing any other kind of group, really. It seems more like they're espousing the philosophy of "everyone's up for ridicule or no one is" that Trey Parker and Matt Stone often espouse in relation to South Park controversies.

Anyway, I'm not too informed or familiar with the paper to really make my own opinion. But I'm gravitating towards discussions trying to explain Charlie Hebdo in the wake of racist accusations.

EDIT: not sure how to resize images.
MOD EDIT: I did it for you.

Last edited by Nate; 01-10-2015 at 11:24 AM.. : You're welcome.