View Single Post
12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

:
Cheese is not mouldy by default. Also I don't know about you but when I grab a piece of cheese to cut some slices off to put on my bread, I won't just go 'hm, it's just some mould' if entire strings of mould are penetrating my cheese and entire mould rain forests are forming on the surface. Are you saying that you would cut off that rain forest and put it on your bread and eat it? Since it's not bad for you?
I think our wires are crossed. I cut off the edge of the cheese with small white/blue patches growing on it, losing about an inch around the spoiled areas. I discard soft cheeses with mould that was not part of the manufacturing process straight away, since foods which high moisture content (which I wasn't discussing anyway) will have been properly spoiled beneath the surface. I do not eat hairy great green monstrosities.

:
That's like saying "Every day I breathe in small amounts carbon monoxide and it hasn't killed me yet; maybe I'll start breathing from a gas tank full of the stuff".
That's hardly an adequate comparison. At the rate of growth of common bread moulds, the increase of fungal matter between the first visible appearance of mould growth and quantities immediately preceding it is less than the amount removed when the visibly spoiled portions are sheered off, if that doesn't remove it all entirely.

Last edited by Bullet Magnet; 12-04-2008 at 08:13 PM..