View Single Post
07-16-2006, 04:38 AM
Killy
Thudslug

: May 2006
: Sweden
: 182
Killy  (185)Killy  (185)

Xavier: Thanks for the nice feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Some games can be ripped by using format specific software on the computer. You scan the disc, extract the music, edit and then release it. But the Oddworld games are far more complicated than that. They require a line-in setup. This means that you connect the stereo cables of the console to the line-in port of your soundcard and record while playing the game. It's a very simple setup, but it's a far more tedious and demanding task because you actually have to play the game and record all the music. It's fun though, for a while, then you get bored and mentally deteriorated.

The Game Boy Advance rip is somewhat easier, you can emulate it on the computer and the just log the sound as .wav files. Simple, but questionable, since there's no way to confirm if the ROM dump was correct or not.

I'm quite sure Stranger's Wrath is rippable using a line-in setup, but it takes more than that to finish a rip and make it sound good. It requires some technical experience in the sound departement and you need to be able to work in a studio, editing, copying, pasting, sampling, mixing and whatnot. I've heard of a few SW rips here and there, but nothing that confirms a complete rip.