Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Soulstorm - Playstation Showcase Trailer (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=24759)

Phoetux 09-16-2020 01:43 PM

Soulstorm - Playstation Showcase Trailer

Here comes another one!

STM 09-16-2020 02:15 PM

Looks fucking banging. Can't wait to play it.

OddjobAbe 09-16-2020 03:29 PM

It's actually been a few years since I've anticipated a game's release, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with for this. Looks good

Auriel 09-16-2020 05:10 PM

im in awe

Nate 09-16-2020 06:56 PM

Is the game as PS5 exclusive? Or just timed exclusive?

OddjobAbe 09-17-2020 12:21 AM

:

()
Is the game as PS5 exclusive? Or just timed exclusive?

The brief screen at the end says it's on PS4 and PS5, is console exclusive for a limited time, and also available on PC

Littleleeroy 09-17-2020 12:49 AM

They are also planning a physical release, so I will be able to buy it from the shops when I buy the PS5 :D

STM 09-17-2020 02:31 AM

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is the expansion of the existing lore. We've been trawling every single mote of information that OWI has drip-fed us for like, two decades, trying to establish what Oddworld is like. Despite all this, the actual Oddworld 'canon' that we know about is pretty restricted and narrow compared to everything that we know has been discussed but never formally implemented. It looks like Soulstorm will be the first game since SW that will actually give us something new to talk about, and I'm so SO excited for that.

Phoetux 09-17-2020 11:58 AM

:

()
One of the things I'm really looking forward to is the expansion of the existing lore. We've been trawling every single mote of information that OWI has drip-fed us for like, two decades, trying to establish what Oddworld is like. Despite all this, the actual Oddworld 'canon' that we know about is pretty restricted and narrow compared to everything that we know has been discussed but never formally implemented. It looks like Soulstorm will be the first game since SW that will actually give us something new to talk about, and I'm so SO excited for that.

Aye, one thing that's sure is new lore and perhaps even a great story that Soulstorm will give us. I'm excited too :D
Let's just hope they don't delay it again

:

()
im in awe

Aw shit why

Alf Shall Rise 09-17-2020 12:58 PM

Pretty damn cool! I'm pumped. Something about hearing a slig talk again feels very magical. Like seeing an old friend again.

Tired Glutton 09-25-2020 03:33 AM

just gonna come back for five seconds and be the one person to have the worst opinion and say i'm not really a fan of new oddworld, i don't think it's bad but none of it's been what i really wanted from a come back i guess. why wont you cater to me, specifically, lorne. I thought we had something.

Auriel 09-25-2020 05:34 AM

:

()
just gonna come back for five seconds and be the one person to have the worst opinion and say i'm not really a fan of new oddworld, i don't think it's bad but none of it's been what i really wanted from a come back i guess. why wont you cater to me, specifically, lorne. I thought we had something.

I've had my doubts about OWI sticking with the 2D format for newer games, but what I've seen so far of SoulStorm looks spectacular.
As long as they will transition to 3D gameplay eventually, I don't mind at all.

Tired Glutton 09-26-2020 03:45 AM

i'm cool with a 2d format and it looks beautiful but it looks like much more of a wild adventure with your mudokon buddies than the kind of sobering but humorous puzzle journey the first two abe games were for me. I kinda wish they'd just left the abe games alone and did more oddworld stuff elsewhere with other weird characters and this kinda tone, y'know? so i guess i'll just wait for that

Auriel 09-26-2020 07:52 AM

:

()
i'm cool with a 2d format and it looks beautiful but it looks like much more of a wild adventure with your mudokon buddies than the kind of sobering but humorous puzzle journey the first two abe games were for me. I kinda wish they'd just left the abe games alone and did more oddworld stuff elsewhere with other weird characters and this kinda tone, y'know? so i guess i'll just wait for that

let's hope that OWI gains the funds and relevance to do that once SoulStorm is released

Nepsotic 10-04-2020 12:32 AM

:

()
let's hope that OWI gains the funds and relevance to do that once SoulStorm is released

They had money for this project and it still took them endless time. Give them more money and I doubt they'll release anything ever again.

I'm not excited for this but I'm sick of pretending that Oddworld is good when it hasn't put out a quality product since 1998 and it looks as if that won't be changing anytime soon.

:

I kinda wish they'd just left the abe games alone and did more oddworld stuff elsewhere with other weird characters and this kinda tone, y'know?
I sort of agree, there's no way they could recapture those first two games once the original designers left (or were forced out).
Oddworld should've carried on it's own path if it wanted to stay relevent. Course, now they're banking on nostalgia.

Phoetux 10-04-2020 03:18 AM

:

()
They had money for this project and it still took them endless time. Give them more money and I doubt they'll release anything ever again.

Nep spillin' beans

Alf Shall Rise 10-05-2020 05:59 AM

:

()
I'm not excited for this but I'm sick of pretending that Oddworld is good when it hasn't put out a quality product since 1998 and it looks as if that won't be changing anytime soon.

one word: gba munch's oddysee

MA 10-05-2020 11:19 AM

:

()

eh, i can't agree with that. SW was pretty great. i really enjoyed that game.

Oddey 10-06-2020 02:06 AM

:

()
eh, i can't agree with that. SW was pretty great. i really enjoyed that game.

You tell that whippersnapper, MA. SW was a good time all around.

STM 10-06-2020 05:42 AM

I really liked SW for what it was, although I think sometimes the gameplay got a bit samey. It was a bit like Munch in the sense that the level design was cool, some of the characters and species were truly inspired but then on the other hand you had fucking...Clakkerz. Like, you have Wolvarks, Sekto the parasitic squid monster, enormous great temples and withered floodplains and then you have...hillbilly chickens. Why, Lorne? Why? :(

MA 10-06-2020 11:17 AM

clakkurz

Oddey 10-06-2020 12:45 PM

"N'ai don' know 'bout a hillbilly chicken but...

N'ai like cornbreaad."

Alf Shall Rise 10-07-2020 09:33 AM

Clakkerz would without a DOUBT call you a slur.

Auriel 10-07-2020 10:56 PM

:

()
I'm not excited for this but I'm sick of pretending that Oddworld is good when it hasn't put out a quality product since 1998

it makes me super happy that literally everyone here is disagreeing with you there :)

STM 10-07-2020 11:26 PM

:

()
Clakkerz would without a DOUBT call you a slur.

Terrible, terrible Grubb slurs.

Nepsotic 10-16-2020 05:19 PM

:

()
it makes me super happy that literally everyone here is disagreeing with you there :)

They're disagreeing because they think SW is good, I doubt many people have much good to say about anything past that.

E: edited stupid shit out

EVP_Glukkon 10-22-2020 09:41 PM

Watching Lorne try to keep a straight face about this being made possible thanks to the PS5 is the best bit.

Ah the irony wasn't lost on you with that one was it Lorne?
As for the game..

All the backgrounds appear as nice 3D, yet their static. There doesn't appear to be any background animations going on, granted the dead quiet industrial vibe is important for some locations but I'm surprised there wasn't any stuff added at all, least from what I've seen.

Death animations are hit and miss.

Mullock sounds, looks, acts differently. More NnT retcon I guess, bit more Saturday morning cartoon vibe. Least he wasn't bathed in neon lights.

Wasn't what I expected, isn't too bad either. If the gameplay is solid, which is what it'll come down to, then hopefully it works out with a win for OWI.