Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oddworld Forums Discord (Tidier Thread Edition) (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=24216)

Varrok 03-15-2017 12:11 PM

Oddworld Forums Discord (Tidier Thread Edition)

We have a Discord server, if you feel like talking on Discord, here's the place! As for 03/15/2017 (MM/DD/YYYY) we have more than 110 users in total, and it gets pretty active at times.

F.A.Q.

Q: What the fudge is Discord?
A: Manners, my boy! Discord is a voice and text chat application like e.g. Slack, but designed for gamers with gaming memes and stuff.

Q: Why do we need Discord, when we have the forums?
A: In my eyes discord is a place for less meaningful (but not less fun!) conversations. Stuff that wouldn't fit the nature of the forums. It also makes it easier for you to contact somebody faster than via OWF PMs.

Q: Do I need an OWF account for that?
A: Yes, dear Guest User, you do, for the verification purposes. If you don't have an OWF account, by all means, make one, it's free! Actually, no. *

Q: So, this whole thing... it's like the Oddchat?
A: No, this is actually cool.

S: I still prefer Oddchat.
A: Then go ahead, use it with all the others... oh, wait, you say nobody else is using Oddchat? Tough luck, then. Also, that wasn't a question. You're banned.

S: But... but...
A: If you have any complaints about the server, you can say it in the #discord_help room, even if you're banned.

*made you look!

Phoetux 03-15-2017 02:17 PM

:

()
If you have any complaints about the server, you can say it in the #discord_help room

That's a lie! That channel doesn't help at all, they didn't with me! Here's proof!

http://i.imgur.com/HLeyoD0.png

Ok serious talk, our discord server it's not that bad. Sometimes we make good conversations and share a lot of memes and all that stuff. It's basically the true son of Oddchat.
Give it a try, you guys might like it.
We have OW emojis too!

Gunnr 03-15-2017 09:17 PM

Nice Varrok

Xavier 07-01-2018 10:17 AM

Bump

Varrok 07-01-2018 10:19 AM

I can no longer edit the original post, so I'll mention here that you no longer need an OWF account (especially after the broken registration incident at the forums) to join the Discord, although having it gives you more benefits (e.g. embedding images)

Nate 07-02-2018 11:06 PM

I updated the OP. But I still don't have answer for why I should bother joining it.

Phoetux 07-03-2018 05:46 AM

:

()
I updated the OP. But I still don't have answer for why I should bother joining it.

• It's a chat for every member of the Oddworld Forums;
  • It's perfect when you want to talk with others while playing;
  • We have The Greeter (a bot that kills mudokons).
Still don't want to join?

Varrok 07-03-2018 08:12 AM

:

()
I updated the OP.

Thanks!

:

But I still don't have answer for why I should bother joining it.
Unlike OWF, it's not dead, we've got at least a dozen active members posting every day, around 20-25 online users at almost any given point of time (active members + humble lurkers) and a lot of people who tend to drop in from time to time and talk.

We mostly talk about random stuff, since there's little Oddworld news lately, but hey, it was the same case as with OWF back when it wasn't completely empty.

I mean, if you don't find it fun to talk with other people liking Oddworld, it doesn't have that much to offer, since it is the idea behind both the now-dead forums and the alive-and-kicking-discord. It's also not a hellhole for new members, it hasn't devolved into a toxic place just yet. Saying that, we do have some OWF veterans here. Mostly the nice ones (except Paul, keeps nagging me to work for him).

So, yeah. No hard feelings if you don't wish to join. I'm just trying to gather you guys in one place so you don't spread out and get a real life for some reason.

CravenKnight 07-04-2018 01:12 PM

for the record, the reason this place is so dead is partly due to discord. saying "you should join this because the forums are dead" seems like a crass thing to say when this place wouldn't be as dead in the first place if that wonderful discord didn't exist.

plus Vlam is there, and FUCK that noise.

Phoetux 07-04-2018 01:19 PM

:

()
saying "you should join this because the forums are dead" seems like a crass thing to say when this place wouldn't be as dead in the first place if that wonderful discord didn't exist.

Maybe without Discord the forums would be a bit more alive. But still, people sometimes want to talk in a more instant way, not with posts that can have all the time they want. What you're saying might be true, but don't take as a bad thing a chat where we discuss anything else together like a real chat.
:

()

Oh don't worry, he never talks now. Even though he once joined the voice chat and did some kind of pissing noise. @RoryF can confirm :p

CravenKnight 07-04-2018 01:53 PM

yeah i get you. it just irks me that the forums are flatlining yet people are still advertising a discord to drag more members away. like, that's the last thing this shit hole needs.

at the end of the day i think it comes down to having one or the other. either the forums remain our unofficial hub of oddworld fan activity, or the discord takes over which it pretty much already has. can't really have both, one side is always going to be more sparsely active than the other. i choose to hang around here though because not all of my friends from this forum have accounts on discord. like oddjob. i need to keep an eye on oddjob to make sure he doesn't scold any more cats with boiling fucking water.

Varrok 07-04-2018 01:54 PM

:

()
for the record, the reason this place is so dead is partly due to discord. saying "you should join this because the forums are dead" seems like a crass thing to say when this place wouldn't be as dead in the first place if that wonderful discord didn't exist.

The forums were actually deader before the Discord. We got quite a couple of new OWF people *because* of the Discord. If you're saying that it in any way contributed to forums' deadness, you're mistaken.

:

He's mute.

CravenKnight 07-04-2018 02:17 PM

lol ok varrok. i'm mistaken. the forums are actually alive and well and we have your discord to thank for it. you are OWF's version of Jesus. no one on your discord has ever spread shit about other members here on OWF behind their backs coughvlamcough, and we have a steady influx of newbies directed from your site. thank you so much my sweet, sweet saviour.

i like how you just instantly assume anyone with a differing opinion to yours is wrong. like, maybe you're wrong varrok my dear. maybe i'm not actually mistaken. i can't even remember the last time you agreed with me on anything, it gets tiring sparring with you all the time over dumb things. but whatever, i'm not arguing further, because obviously i'm wrong since you've managed to direct two people to this site lol. i should be ashamed.

Littleleeroy 07-04-2018 11:17 PM

:

()
lol ok varrok. i'm mistaken. the forums are actually alive and well and we have your discord to thank for it. you are OWF's version of Jesus. no one on your discord has ever spread shit about other members here on OWF behind their backs coughvlamcough, and we have a steady influx of newbies directed from your site. thank you so much my sweet, sweet saviour.

I'm glad to see that more people are coming to appreciate the messiah that Varrok is.

Varrok 07-05-2018 05:59 AM

:

()

i like how you just instantly assume anyone with a differing opinion to yours is wrong. like, maybe you're wrong varrok my dear. maybe i'm not actually mistaken. i can't even remember the last time you agreed with me on anything, it gets tiring sparring with you all the time over dumb things. but whatever, i'm not arguing further, because obviously i'm wrong since you've managed to direct two people to this site lol. i should be ashamed.

ok

Auriel 07-05-2018 07:29 AM

:

()

just join the server bro

OddjobAbe 07-05-2018 01:55 PM

:

()
like oddjob. i need to keep an eye on oddjob to make sure he doesn't scold any more cats with boiling fucking water.

Consider the cockles of my heart thoroughly warmed

Nate 07-05-2018 10:43 PM

:

()
I mean, if you don't find it fun to talk with other people liking Oddworld, it doesn't have that much to offer

Yeah... that might be why I have no motivation to join. :p

Varrok 07-06-2018 12:14 AM

Why are you here, then? :p

Nate 07-06-2018 11:29 AM

Inertia.