Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New 'n' Tasty (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=21061)

Alcar 09-30-2012 06:53 AM

New 'n' Tasty

Just finished watching the live coverage of the Eurogamer segment regarding Oddworld, thought y'all might like to see footage of the next release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdIGD5MpOM&t=41m23s

Very, very impressed.

Alcar...

V_O_T 09-30-2012 06:56 AM

Very good footage for a pre-alpha. I submitted that name during the opening of the contest. Hopefully we all get signed posters! :D

V_O_T 09-30-2012 06:59 AM

Take a look at the visor also! now lets have a giant rant thread about visors :B

Nath 09-30-2012 07:00 AM

All that was just awesomeness. It's gonna be a very interesting 12 months

Hazz-JB 09-30-2012 07:01 AM

Nice to see Lorne in public again, and that game footage is glorious. I have absolute faith that Oddworld is in the right hands now. Despite the complete rework, the aesthetic is spot on.

Varrok 09-30-2012 07:02 AM

It's super awesome, and it's got normal visor, too! Slig voices sound much different, though, are they some sort of placeholder voices? (like they did with Wheatley in Portal2). Exploding is not done yet, from what I can see, can't wait

Hazz-JB 09-30-2012 07:07 AM

Yeah I'd assume the voices are place holder like the chanting and exploding effects, I hope so anyway.

Varrok 09-30-2012 07:09 AM

Mudokons voices sound well, though. It's only sligs who sound a bit out of place (I think they're lower-pitched)

Also, the area at the end is new. Will there be more new areas?

There are some advertisement billboards in places where there were Workers/Rescued/Killed boards. What's up with that?

marlz 09-30-2012 07:12 AM

An hour well spent staying up for that. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
Though I feel dumb having not suggested New 'n' Tasty because the more I think about it, the more obvious a choice it was. My suggestions, like "Oddworld: Mudokon Legacy" felt more like RPG titles or the Japanese secondary titles to the classic MegaMan games. ^^;

Wings of Fire 09-30-2012 07:12 AM

I liked it a lot.

All the character models have a real sense of gravity to them, and that feels awesome.

V_O_T 09-30-2012 07:13 AM

:

()
Mudokons voices sound well, though. It's only sligs who sound a bit out of place (I think they're lower-pitched)

Also, the area at the end is new. Will there be more new areas?

I was thinking that too.. Could they be adding in small areas where it would usually screen wipe after saving those muds? to fill in those transitions?

Either way, it was a really good conference and the footage was wicked :D

Hazz-JB 09-30-2012 07:32 AM

I thought some of Abe's speech wasn't that great either though, like it wasn't spoken clearly or the audio quality wasn't good or something, I don't know. On the other hand I like the varied dialogue, I hope you can get some sort of reaction out of all creatures by talking to them, even if it's just a brief grunt or hiss before they get back to the matter of hunting you down.

JennyGenesis 09-30-2012 08:19 AM

It's come out much better than I thought it would!

I also hope there is a way to move the camera backwards and forwards, when Abe was waiting for the Slig to walk along the trap door, the Slig was on screen for about half a second. In the original game we obviously saw the full screen so we could easily time when to pull the lever. I hope we can move the camera so far to easily time puzzles like that rather than relying on a quick reaction from the player.

Michael 09-30-2012 08:33 AM

:

()
Very good footage for a pre-alpha. I submitted that name during the opening of the contest. Hopefully we all get signed posters! :D

So did I! If I remember correctly, Wil posted in the 'Name Abe HD' thread that there were a total of 50-odd submissions with New 'n' Tasty in some form. I wonder if one person has been chosen as the winner, or like you said a number of entries will be commended? At least I'm still technically in with a chance! :p

I have to say the footage was fantastic! I was disappointed when it ended, I can't wait to see more. I really liked the small changes too, such as Abe walking through the broken air duct, those completely awesome holographic-looking signs, and the elevator platform instead of the pulley at the end- even if I will miss the squeaky pulley sound!

V_O_T 09-30-2012 08:46 AM

:

()
I thought some of Abe's speech wasn't that great either though, like it wasn't spoken clearly or the audio quality wasn't good or something, I don't know. On the other hand I like the varied dialogue, I hope you can get some sort of reaction out of all creatures by talking to them, even if it's just a brief grunt or hiss before they get back to the matter of hunting you down.

That would be fantastic. Its stuff like that, that adds the extra immersion.

:

()
So did I! If I remember correctly, Wil posted in the 'Name Abe HD' thread that there were a total of 50-odd submissions with New 'n' Tasty in some form. I wonder if one person has been chosen as the winner, or like you said a number of entries will be commended? At least I'm still technically in with a chance! :p

I have to say the footage was fantastic! I was disappointed when it ended, I can't wait to see more. I really liked the small changes too, such as Abe walking through the broken air duct, those completely awesome holographic-looking signs, and the elevator platform instead of the pulley at the end- even if I will miss the squeaky pulley sound!

Maybe we all get autographed posters? :D

Michael 09-30-2012 09:09 AM

:

()
Maybe we all get autographed posters? :D

That would be great! I just watched the video again and Stew Gilray did mention that 'New 'n' Tasty' was one of the most frequently suggested titles! I missed him say that first time round.

morgl015 09-30-2012 09:10 AM

I think I sent New 'N' Tastey edition :( (Hopefully it counts but oh well).

I like the varied game speak and I'm glad they're adding in quick save so people that haven't played oddworld before can enjoy the challenge whilst not be frustrated.
But I'm amazed how detailed the pre-alpha is, after seeing the two screens that were released I wasn't expecting to see machinery moving.

Manco 09-30-2012 09:21 AM

Looks great! If there’s one thing I felt could be worked on (other than the explicitly-mentioned placeholder effects) it would would be that some of the animations feel a little ... overcooked? Like the hoisting and the Slig walking, they seem too exaggerated.

But the graphics look butter-smooth, the environments have so much more depth, and the music sounds close to the original with some nice touches. Fantastic job, especially for pre-alpha stuff.

JayDee 09-30-2012 09:47 AM

I'm not sure if it's the pain killers messing with my head, but jesus christ I just witnessed something thoroughly amazing. Congrats JAW.

E: It will be interesting to see how they incorporate that new style of rope lifts (Which I love, makes much more sense to me) into the wilderness environments.

Varrok 09-30-2012 09:58 AM

Ok, I've come up with some thoughts:

1)Can you freely use the elevator like on original AO?
2)Rolling looks veeery slow now ._. The same goes with climbing the ledges
3)There's no drum sound effect when Slig killed that mud. You know, that 'dramatic music'. It was pretty cool.

Manco 09-30-2012 10:18 AM

Oh yeah, I hope the rope pulley platforms get preserved somewhere, I love those fukken things more than I really should.

Varrok 09-30-2012 10:21 AM

Sligs looked so funny using them, I was laughing inside every time I looked at them

K100 09-30-2012 10:42 AM

The game look amazing !

7 new screenshots:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ty-screenshots

Dynamithix 09-30-2012 10:45 AM

I am all kinds of excited to hear more about the game. Looks great.

Varrok 09-30-2012 10:50 AM

Hmm...

4)The screenshots are very aliased
5)Every working mud is bald, so I guess it's not about variety

K100 09-30-2012 10:51 AM

You know, this is Pre-Alpha. They want to release the game in autumn 2013 so this is not the definitive look of the game...

Varrok 09-30-2012 10:56 AM

Yeah yeah, I know, but there were some voices that this mud could be bald for a reason. So I'm just saying that's probably not true

Dynamithix 09-30-2012 10:59 AM

BUT IT'S PRE-ALPHA, MAAAAAN.

Varrok 09-30-2012 11:01 AM

I'M TAKING IT BACK! EVERYTHING, SORRY

RyuuFox 09-30-2012 11:03 AM

Awesome Alpha footage! It really shows how live and eerily Rupture Farms can be! I hope you guys at JAW can put in some additions like 2 sligs talking to each other about how they "punished" a mudokon for not cleaning the floors well enough or maybe a mudokon getting brutalize by a slig and begging him to stop, you know more cinematic stuff to make you care and feel for the workers you're trying to save!