Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Australianism (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=17843)

moxco 03-06-2009 12:48 AM

Australianism

It’s really pissing me off. At school, on the news, everywhere in society. Whenever something good happens they associate it with being Australians. I once had a school assignment which had to start with ‘Having a fair go is a part of the Australian lifestyle”. You even hear it on the news; “There has been over 200 million dollars raised to the bush fire appeal, what a real Australian effort’’ Aren’t any other countries charitable?

Strike Witch 03-06-2009 01:45 AM

Wow, another pearl of wisdom from Moxco.

Anyway, it's because Australians are a bunch of tools, jerks, and tossers.

Wings of Fire 03-06-2009 03:43 AM

Eww, you guys sound nearly as patriotic as Americans...

Munch's Master 03-06-2009 03:52 AM

Patriotism is a good thing when done right. Problem is it's usually either too much-eg. the USA at times, or not enough- eg. Britain in recent times.

Wings of Fire 03-06-2009 04:34 AM

I've always viewed Nationalism as on par with Racism, at the center of the ideology is a little triumphant voice proclaiming 'I'm better than you are'. Why should I be proud of being British? It makes as little sense as being proud to be white, male or working class...all accidents of birth, in the end the only one thing I can truly be proud of is myself and my accomplishments. Not the circumstances of my birth.

In the words of Friedrich Nietzsche 'Zarathustra has lost the love of his people because Zarathustra has learned to love all peoples'.

Bullet Magnet 03-06-2009 07:01 AM

:

()
or not enough- eg. Britain in recent times.

You know there's a problem when we cheer when stuff goes wrong, with cries of "we're rubbish!". That sort of anti-patriotism should be accompanied with the urge to make things improve, but we're pretty damn uninspired by those in charge.

Fuck, the only thing that inspires us is our own comedians calling us rubbish.

OANST 03-06-2009 07:28 AM

:

()
Eww, you guys sound nearly as patriotic as Americans...

My first thought. Yeah.

Patriotism is annoying.

Zerox 03-07-2009 05:55 AM

:

()
Fuck, the only thing that inspires us is our own comedians calling us rubbish.

Amen to that.

And having recently been to Disneyworld for three weeks (in America), I can confirm the irritating patriotism. Far too excessive, and totally up their own arse.

Facsimile 03-07-2009 03:38 PM

:

()
I've always viewed Nationalism as on par with Racism, at the center of the ideology is a little triumphant voice proclaiming 'I'm better than you are'. Why should I be proud of being British? It makes as little sense as being proud to be white, male or working class...all accidents of birth, in the end the only one thing I can truly be proud of is myself and my accomplishments. Not the circumstances of my birth.

Totally agree.

used:) 03-09-2009 06:50 PM

:

()
Patriotism is annoying.

Patriotism or Jingoism?