Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oddworld: Soulstorm Premire Next Month (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=24621)

Samtastic 05-28-2018 08:14 AM

Oddworld: Soulstorm Premire Next Month

Next month will mark the premier of Soulstorm. It's being showcased at a Unity event!
https://wccftech.com/premiere-oddwor...-unite-berlin/

Michael 05-28-2018 11:35 AM

Interesting - I guess this confirms the studio will not be presenting anything at E3 this year, since that takes place nearly a week earlier.

It is stated that 'attendees will get a behind the scenes look at Lanning's studio and how they approach world building.' Sounds like that won't be made available for everyone online? Hopefully the exclusive premiere won't be a 'behind closed doors' deal. It's been ages since we've had any new info!

DWeedMan 05-28-2018 09:54 PM

Awesome, can't wait.

SligValet 05-29-2018 09:14 AM

"Attendees will get a behind the scenes look at Lanning’s studio and how they approach world-building."

How does this imply a premiere sort of reveal/announcement and not just a walkthrough of the design process and a bunch of concept art?

Connell 05-29-2018 10:12 AM

:

()
"Attendees will get a behind the scenes look at Lanning’s studio and how they approach world-building."

How does this imply a premiere sort of reveal/announcement and not just a walkthrough of the design process and a bunch of concept art?

First line of the article seems to imply a reveal (I've quoted below) although I agree that the portion of text regarding Soulstorm doesn't seem to back it up.

:

"Unity Technologies announced today that Oddworld Soulstorm, GTFO, Harold Halibut will be among the games receiving world exclusive premieres during Unite Berlin‘s upcoming keynote."

Havoc 06-02-2018 04:20 PM

:

()

My understanding is that the keynote will contain the reveal/announcement, and anyone who is attending the event can then get a behind the scenes chat with Lorne or something.

It's odd they would do the reveal at a small European event a week after the largest gaming event in the world, though. Surely Sony would have been eager to give them stage time for one of their oldest partners?

Xavier 06-03-2018 03:04 AM

I think the behind the scenes stuff is going to be shown during the presentation. Like what they did during the EGX presentation.

I don't expect to have any big reveal at that event. More like a view on how they are building the game using Unity.

SoulStorm64 06-19-2018 10:02 AM

Literally a short clip saying hey we are making oddworld, its great how is it not crashing with everything going on the screen oh here is lorn doing concept art while he talks about having a standard like Disney. No gameplay.

SgabbitGabbiar 06-19-2018 10:06 AM

meech121 06-19-2018 01:20 PM

^ Seriously? That was literally just rhetoric from Lorne and the same old concept art of those fucking Glukkons.

This is starting to resemble the infamous development cycle of Duke Nukem: Forever, complete with feature creep and years of time and money spent on the game with jack shit to show for it.

OWI_Alex 06-19-2018 01:25 PM

:

()
^ Seriously? That was literally just rhetoric from Lorne and the same old concept art of those fucking Glukkons.

This is starting to resemble the infamous development cycle of Duke Nukem: Forever, complete with feature creep and years of time and money spent on the game with jack shit to show for it.

Yay Meech is here.

Varrok 06-19-2018 01:36 PM

:

()

Hey, Meech. This is not a fair comparison. DNF was in production for around 13 years. It's almost 4 years (not even 4) after NnT was released.

Also, you should pay attention not to just what points you try to get across, but how you do this. This kind of attitude you have will hardly help you if you want to be taken seriously in any discussion.

Michael 06-19-2018 03:04 PM

I'll admit I'm disappointed we didn't get to see any game footage, but will say that feature had some nice production value! Actually really curious now to know whether Lorne has been doing some concept art/3D design for Soulstorm himself (as seen in the feature) or if that was just staged for camera!

I've been part of some similar videos in the past, and we've definitely had directors and producers pretending to finish off artwork on camera :p

Havoc 06-19-2018 11:12 PM

:

()
Yay Meech is here.

Hello! :tard:

Nate 06-19-2018 11:21 PM

I feel like Lorne could have been reading that script 10 years ago. He's been talking about the convergence of gameplay and prerendered quality forever.

Also, 'The Cloud' as a meaningless buzzword is soooo 2011.

Still, I wish I had that library.

OWI_Alex 06-20-2018 12:26 AM

:

()
I feel like Lorne could have been reading that script 10 years ago. He's been talking about the convergence of gameplay and prerendered quality forever.

Also, 'The Cloud' as a meaningless buzzword is soooo 2011.

Still, I wish I had that library.

I don't see why it's meaningless - it's literally how we work right now.

Varrok 06-20-2018 01:21 AM

Does LL draw all those pretty artworks himself, or does he just draw black lines over them when they're finished?

STM 06-20-2018 02:58 AM

https://i.gyazo.com/5f57ab83c535b7c1...704496df90.png

Recent Soulstorm concept art by Lorne Lanning pls do not steal his OCs

Phoetux 06-20-2018 02:59 AM

fuckign hell

Varrok 06-20-2018 08:05 AM

https://i.imgur.com/p5zpHUp.png

Havoc 06-20-2018 08:27 AM

And a new meme was born.

kjjcarpenter 06-20-2018 10:03 AM

Looking forward to the Oddworld Netflix series in 2028!

Auriel 06-20-2018 11:11 AM

is-is that supposed to be his chest tattoo??

CravenKnight 06-20-2018 12:24 PM

cute slig!

Littleleeroy 06-20-2018 10:05 PM

This is literally all they showed at the Unite Berlin event? No one from Oddworld Inhabitants even did a talk. (Oddworld Inhabitants mirror)

What a let down. Like 2 seconds of footage showing the finished product of those wallpapers. This video would work much better as the intro to a talk. It's almost as if Lorne was going to do a talk but had to cancel, but they kept the video in anyway.

:

()
Actually really curious now to know whether Lorne has been doing some concept art/3D design for Soulstorm himself (as seen in the feature) or if that was just staged for camera!

Definitely for the camera but that doesn't mean he isn't working on it behind the scenes. I would guess he actively creates artwork for the game but probably focuses on managing the production.

moxco 06-21-2018 03:58 PM

:

Oriental carpets, pinball machines, Steinway pianos will be in that collection up here. Aircraft through the ages, ships through the ages, submarines, oceans vessels, these things are always critical to us cus we uh build a whole world.

Nate 06-21-2018 09:58 PM

:

()
I don't see why it's meaningless - it's literally how we work right now.

The word 'cloud' has been overused to the point of meaninglessness. Even five years ago it was only really used as a buzzword by people who were trying to jump on a trend. Working remotely is not really a unique experience these days; there are better ways to express the concept.

OWI_Alex 06-21-2018 10:50 PM

:

()
The word 'cloud' has been overused to the point of meaninglessness. Even five years ago it was only really used as a buzzword by people who were trying to jump on a trend. Working remotely is not really a unique experience these days; there are better ways to express the concept.

So which word would you use, I'm curious?

Varrok 06-21-2018 10:56 PM

I understand why Alex would be upset about this.

I mean, how would you feel if somebody criticized your discord avatar for being "meaningless"?

OWI_Alex 06-21-2018 11:10 PM

:

()
I understand why Alex would be upset about this.

I mean, how would you feel if somebody criticized your discord avatar for being "meaningless"?

It's almost as if I ask for it.